Someone is very very angry Bank of America, and they have expressed it rather creatively:

YourBofA.com

Its a pretty brutal takedown of the many reasons some folks out there are a tad angry at America’s biggest bailed out bank. This is not your run of the mill anti-cor[orate site, but a deep-pocketed broadside. Someone went to a whole lot of trouble to put up a very thorough critique of BofA.

As you delve deeper into the site, its apparent that this is a well funded effort aimed at embarrassing CEO Brian Moynihan. (Any one have any ideas as to who is behind this?)

You can create your own BofA adverts (you can see my favorite here), a list of  ideas for the bank with a REDDIT like up or down feature, and a section on Lessons Learned which is rather sarcastic.  And while some of the work is pretty rough, much of it has quite a wicked sense of humor.

This is no simple SUCKS site, but a very deep run at the BofA brand:

About Us

Born in the rubble of the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906, the story of Bank of America is the story of America. From handshake loans to complex derivative contracts, from the boom and bust commodities market of the early 20th century, to the red hot real estate market of recent years, Bank of America is the American dream writ large: humble yet bold. Both America’s neighborhood bank – and one of the largest financial institutions in the world.

And as America is adapting to change, Bank of America is too. With businesses across America emerging from the economic downturn leaner, more efficient and ready to grow, some companies see the opportunity to make acquisitions and others to expand into new growth areas. For years, even after the recent economic downturn, we too looked to growth as a reason in itself for being. But the results have given us pause – despite major acquisitions, and a number of restructurings, Bank of America stock has lost 75-80% of its value in five years, returning weak profits and ending in a near-junk credit rating.

Bankers are paid to see the writing on the wall – the future. And in Bank of America’s case it’s highly likely that the future involves federal receivership – a new relationship with the American taxpayer. As such we look to the future both chastened, and with a renewed sense of possibility. As the residents of earthquake stricken San Francisco dug themselves out of the rubble through elbow grease and cheap credit, Your Bank of America is rolling up its sleeves, and getting to work. We can’t wait to see what the future holds.

Category: Bailouts, Credit, Politics

35 Responses to “Your B of A .com”

1. Kevin Gunn says:

You can find the domain registration information here:

Looks like it’s owned by a “Frank Hephendirk”. No idea who that might be, though.

2. belleslettres says:

Yes Men, gifted ad/marketing guys with two films out demonstrating their skill at concocting believable hoaxes to shame bad corp behaviour, a la Bho Phal

3. belleslettres says:

they often use improbable fake names. I know it’s them bc I’m on their email list

4. nweaver says:

Its might be the Rainforest Action Network, or at least hosted on the same webserver:

% dig +short http://www.yourbofa.com
    209.51.180.234

is a copy of the Rainforest Action Network homepage

5. nweaver says:

RAN is specifically targeting BofA right now, which further ups the suspicion that its Rainforest Action Network:

6. nweaver says:

Likewise, RAN has released a press release targeting BofA:

and that page also exists on the server hosting http://www.yourbofa.com, which further suggests this is Rainforest Action Network.

So my vote is its almost certainly RAN.

7. Moe says:

“they often use improbable fake names.”

You’re right bellelettres; It’s Knarf Kridnehpeh!!

(he used the old “spell my name backwards” trick!)

8. NoKidding says:

“Because F— Y–, thats why”

I read this from a terminal in a semi-crowded lab. Almost fell out of my chair laughing at that.

9. Transor Z says:

It’s the Yes Men, Barry. You can take that to the bank.

10. belleslettres says:

Then RAN must ve working with or as an offshoot from the YM as I got notice via email of the BoA hoax

11. gman says:

I’m sure the people who did this hoax will end up in jail, or worse. Think of any of the corp. that was “harmed” by wikileaks. They were able to deploy the force and might of all branches of the government to get the “evil doers”!

12. jaymaster says:

RAN and Yes Men work together all the time.

13. patfla says:

tracert leads back to Rainforest.

> end up in jail, or worse

What exactly is the law that would apply here?

14. belleslettres says:

I received an email from the YM saying “some friends of ours” put up the website with help from the YM

15. belleslettres says:

16. Transor Z says:

Nobody’s going to jail.

Give me a break.

17. DeDude says:

“What exactly is the law that would apply here?”

I think it is the one that says: “Thou shall not bite the hand that can grab thou by the neck and rip thou’s head off”. I think it’s from the bible or somewhere.

18. belleslettres says:

BTw, in sharing Barry’s favourite BOA “ad,” fb warned me via a security alert that yourboa was an unsafe website. This is disturbing.

19. belleslettres says:

20. Moe says:

Nobody is going to jail. Prison yes, jail no.

Right, ,wrong, legality – plays no part anymore.

Can I get an AMEN Mr Corzine!!??

21. nofoulsontheplayground says:

There’s no way that site will be able to stay up very long. It’s confusingly similar to the real deal, and a judge would likely grant a quick injunction to make the site go dark.

22. gman says:

“What exactly is the law that would apply here?”

Banks and laws?..corps and laws…hahah!

“Willful and intentional destruction of the B of A brand”..or something to that effect..

23. Da55id says:

Satire is protected free speech as I recall.

24. nofoulsontheplayground says:

Satire is fine, but trademark and copyright infringement is not, particularly when it is so confusingly similar to the real deal.

However, I love the idea, and I hope it stays up.

25. Transor Z says:

What are BoA’s damages here, exactly?

I understand that the satire clearly violates the I’m Not a Lawyer But Everything I Think Should Be Illegal Really Is Illegal Act of 2012.

26. vavoida says:

@nofoulsontheplayground just loosen up, srsly – “Satire is fine, but trademark and copyright infringement is not”

27. [...] but it’s clear a lot of thought and effort when into the design and planning. As visitors to The Big Picture pointed out, Your B of A is hosted on the same web server as the Rainforest Action Network’s [...]

28. ConscienceofaConservative says:

Barry,
    It’s time to realize that the four large banks are either the new GSE’s or an oligopoly with a gov’t subsidy. When has such an arrangement encouraged competition on either a price or service level?

BR: Yes, we discussed that here April 13th, 2011

29. philipat says:

In terms of a legal response, Trademark infringement would probably be the place to start. And because F-U, they probably will!!

30. whskyjack says:

LOL love it.
    Here it is with the grammar cleaned up in case you want to keep it

“Thou shall not bite the hand that can grab thee by the neck and rip thy head off”

Jack

31. dsawy says:

A traceroute ends up at mayfirst.org, which is a lefty NYC ISP.

The pockets aren’t very deep so far as I can see.

32. Init4good says:

OT: Now that Facebook is controlling what we see there (Ref comments above) has anyone tried any of the Facebook knockoffs ? (ie Anybeat, etc).

33. wannabe says:

BofA digs a little deeper:

McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, McMillan Firearms Manufacturing, McMillan Group International have been collectively banking with Bank of America for 12 years. Today Mr. Ray Fox, Senior Vice President, Market Manager, Business Banking, Global Commercial Banking came to my office. He scheduled the meeting as an “account analysis” meeting in order to evaluate the two lines of credit we have with them. He spent 5 minutes talking about how McMillan has changed in the last 5 years and have become more of a firearms manufacturer than a supplier of accessories.
    At this point I interrupted him and asked “Can I possible save you some time so that you don’t waste your breath? What you are going to tell me is that because we are in the firearms manufacturing business you no longer what my business.”
    “That is correct” he says.

exurbanleague Got instalanched:

34. DeDude says:

I told them that “What I really want is a bank that I can LOVE – but I will settle for a bank that I can fuck whenever it fucks me”. I got filtered out.