My early morning reads:

• ‘The death of equities’… again? (FT Alphaville)
• Inspect Exchange Operations, After Facebook Fiasco? (Securities Technology Monitor)   see also Questions of Fair Play Arise in Facebook’s I.P.O. Process (DealBook)
• China’s rich head for the exit (FT.com)
• Austerity or growth? Simple answer is: It depends. (Washington Post)
• More than 30% of mortgage borrowers still underwater (CNN Money)
• Debt crisis: Germany holds a gun to Greece’s head (Telegraph)
• Language: The cussing room floor (Independent)
• The Economics of All-You-Can-Eat Buffets (Forbes)
How Apple Could Play the Bigger-Display iPhone Thing at WWDC, Which I Swear, I’m Still Not Convinced Is for Real But We’re Getting to the Point Where There’s an Awful Lot of Smoke for There Not to Be a Fire So Let’s Run With It (Daring Fireball)
• Ridley Scott Opens Up About ‘Prometheus,’ Kick-Ass Women, and ‘Blade Runner 2′ (The Daily Beast)

What are you reading?

Bond Market Liberates Fed

Source: WSJ

Category: Markets

15 Responses to “10 Thursday AM Reads”

1. ConscienceofaConservative says:

Current IRA news letter on austerity and the Euro

2. BoulderPatentGuy says:

Austerity or growth? I thought Bowles-Simpson already answered that question. It’s called tax reform, and it ain’t gonna happen with the crooks we currently have in D.C.

3. Mike in Nola says:

Re: Apple

Think they have to do this. Not that it is essential for the function of the phone, but it’s one of those “whose organ is bigger” deals. It’s like the argument that Windows Phones only have single core processors. They are as fast as anything else because the software is better designed, but that’s not a bullet point you can put on an ad.

The Android displays are getting bigger and high res. The new Lumia display is not high res, but bigger and brighter and you can use it as a hammer :) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/21/lumia-900-hammer-test_n_1533590.html
    So Apple needs something new.

4. gordo365 says:

I hate spending time on a credit card sized screen. Trying to do something productive – having to carefully touch 7 pixel wide links – makes me grumpy.

Every company has a mobile app strategy.

Screens better get bigger if they expect people other than Lilliputians to actually use them beyond fad phase.

5. Joe Friday says:

Apple, ALWAYS ON THE CUTTING EDGE, will supposedly roll out the iPhone 5, increasing the screen size from 3.5″ to 4″, with a 1136 × 640 display, weighing in at least as much as the iPhone 4 at 140 grams.

Except the android Samsung Galaxy S III has a 4.8″ screen, with a 1280 x 720 display, weighing only 133 grams. It also has some brand new optional eye recognition technology called ‘Smart Stay’, which can sense when you are and are not looking it. When you’re looking at the screen, the display will stay illuminated, but when you’re not looking at the screen, the display goes dark to preserve both privacy power.

6. Mike in Nola says:

Joe: The only problem with the Galaxy is that it runs Android :) Sorry, couldn’t help it.

gordo: Heard some comments on some phone podcasts that big screens are an American thing. Sorta like SUV’s. I’m still using an old Windows Mobile with a 3.7″ screen and would like something that wouldn’t force me to put on my glasses. Trying to hold out til this fall til Verizon gets some new Windows/iPhones with nicer screens.

7. Jojo says:

This INSANE Graphic Shows How Ludicrously Complicated Social Media Marketing Is Now
    Charlie Minato | May 17, 2012, 10:22 AM

8. Mike in H-town,

re: larger screens..

the “organ”-metaphor is funny/has some play..though, to your other point, the BBoomers are getting older..

Eyesight not as Good..

as well, there is *something, inherently, Wrong with those smaller Screens, the ‘intended’ uses, and the Ergonomic ramifications of ‘the mix’..

this Article..New Technologies and the Ergonomic Risk to Users

Aug 1, 2007 12:00 AM, By Cynthia Roth

begins to ‘Scratch the Surface’ of the Topic..

9. AHodge says:

a lead indicator for housing? Mark Keisel of Pimco is……

Back In
    I’m back in. Yes, I’ve finally purchased a house after renting for the past six years. I sold my previous house in May 2006 after nearly a decade of being a homeowner because I was convinced U.S. housing prices were set to fall, and I wrote about it in prior Credit Perspectives pieces, “For Sale” (June 2006) and “Still Renting” (May 2007). Many of my friends, family and colleagues have asked me over the past several years, “Are you still renting?” In fact, that is probably the question I’ve heard most often from clients, consultants and the media over the years.
    So, next weekend I’ll be moving into a house. My decision to buy was mainly driven by the improved relative value of U.S. housing.

10. flocktard says:

Hodge, you did the best trade of your life right there.

11. willid3 says:

is the US in a few years?

every one avoiding paying any taxes. and then the economy collapses?

12. willid3 says:

people delaying retirement

Another culprit is a gigantic decline in confidence in the institutions that traditionally have been core to retirement planning: the stock market and Social Security. A Wells Fargo survey conducted in late 2011 found more than a quarter of respondents in their 20s and 30s don’t expect any income at all from Social Security during their retirement years, and 68 percent of the survey sample said they were not confident in the stock market as a place to invest for retirement. As a result, respondents were delaying retirement.

well, not expecting SS to be a help, fits in with the view of some., but the lack if faith in the stock market? thats doesn’t fit in. but then a lot of folks have seen their retirements collapse of late, so it shouldn’t be unexpected. wonder if we are now relieving the 1930-1970s. when the stock market wasn’t a big thing for most, and not trusted by a large percentage. along with banks. wonder if they comes back too

13. Mike in Nola says:

Mark: interesting article. My wife is having a repetitive motion problem from running a particular virus diagnostic test. Would seem that there would be a machine to repetitively tilt a test tube, but I suppose that costs money.

14. stonedwino says:

BR: I have been extremely curious to learn a few facts about the current situation of home sales and the future of the real estate market and have yet to see it addressed and I believe you may be the guy to do it…

Can we break down what the current requirements are to qualify for a standard mortgage – It seems a FICO of 720 or more and fulfilling other requirements. If that is the case, how many people in this country would actually qualify (given the amount of Americans that have been foreclosed on or have killed their credit otherwise) – how many Americans that don’t already own a home have the FICO score and cash set aside to even qualify to buy a house with what the banks are requiring. Mortgage rates are at record lows, because I have a feeling that the vast majority of Americans who even attempt to apply for a mortgage are rejected. Most people can’t even qualify and all those underwater home owners are screwed too…Where is the future of the real estate market headed in view of this in addition to the fact that the younger generation, if they are lucky enough to even have a job, seem to be burdened on average by a massive amount of student debt….no matter how I look at the housing picture here in the US, I see a glass barely half full. I’d love to see you elaborate on the matter. i don’t think the economy or jobs will really go anywhere without an improvement in the housing market.

15. ConscienceofaConservative says:

JPMorgan gave risk oversight to museum head who sat on AIG board