click for interactive graphic

Russell describes this as follows:

Market indicators — Corporate debt spreads, the month–end VIX, and interest rates remain within typical ranges. U.S. equity markets ended April down with the Russell 3000® Index posting a return of -0.66%.

Economic indicators — These backward–looking indicators are all within typical ranges. The economy grew at a rate of 2.2% during the first quarter.

Category: Digital Media, Economy

8 Responses to “Economic Dashboard”

1. constantnormal says:

curious.

These indicators all seem to be purely monetary, with no indication of things like labor participation, population demographics, disposable income relative to gross income or living expenses … the things that relate to the “demand” side of the equation.

Russell seems to believe that the “supply” side is all that matters …

2. wally says:

I like the format of the chart; it is really easy to see what is presented in perspective.

3. constantnormal says:

Oh! .. when one visits the linked site and clicks on any of these dashboard indicators, a number of others appear …

I retract my ignorant prior comment (but just this one … my stockpile of ignorant comments stands pat).

4. constantnormal says:

Second retraction … “others” are merely the same set of items, but with a historical context instead of the at-a-glance range indicators. This offers a historical context that the range indicators lack … although if he did the range bars in shares of color presenting a weighted view of times at each value, it would be improved, I think … there is always the danger of trying to pack too much into a simple picture … a problem when attempting to describe a marvelously complex reality in a simple chart …

5. cognos says:

I find the use of history quite subjective and badly distorted (misleading, in an unprofitable way).

For example, for Interest Rates… the blue range is 90% of rates since 1962.
    For mortgage delinquencies we have been FAR out of the range, every day for 5 years. Hmm?

How is that “normal” or comparable?

I rarely / never sanction the use of long historical. The world / US economy changes so dramatically every 10-20 years the “data” is mainly useless, better to just understand rough history and human behavior. Its the main classic FAIL of most PhD economists who had bad forecasters and investors. They are over fitting 20-100 years of data. Instead of handling the last 1-5 years, and predicting the next few months.

Course, that doesn’t “publish” well.

6. rktbrkr says:

Speaking of mortgage delinquencies the favorable tax treatment of short sales ends 12/31 with no indication of extension yet and with all the November election distractions it could fall by the wayside. There’s still 7 months left and real estate transactions can’t be done overnight. If I was a homeowner majorly underwater the last thing I would want is the IRS coming after me taxing me at ordinary income rate for tens or hundreds of thousands of mortgage “forgiveness” in 2013 and beyond. Will there be a selling crescendo the later part of this year?

7. Jim67545 says:

Re mortgage delinquency: about 8 years ago the collection folks at the bank where I worked reported to me that it seemed to them that the willingness to pay mortgages had changed significantly. Prior to that, paying one’s mortgage payment was the number one priority to protect one’s most important asset.

However, increasing reliance on the automobile and aggressive repossession (as opposed to 6 to 12 months for foreclosure and the ability to float along at 90 days delinquent), more “essential” expenditures like cable and cell phones, monthly direct debits, reliance on credit cards for many daily transactions and family budgets being squeezed caused a change in decision making. One needed one’s car to get to work and one’s credit card at Walmart. No longer was the most immediate threat related to one’s home.

I can only report what was observed at one small bank in a part of the country where mortgage foreclosure had been a real rarity. So I wonder how valid using a long term benchmark in this respect may be.

8. NoKidding says:

Economic growth (GPP) has bounds -10.4 to +17.2. When was the last time the US had real GDP growth above 10? Acording to the World bank data that tops Google search, the min/max since 1965 are -3 to +7. Real GDP growth has not topped 10 percent since 1948.

Humans typically have between zero and eight toes on each foot? Oh look I have 3 toes left, thats well within normal range, this gangreene thing is not so much to worry over.