My torrid media whoring run has exhausted itself. I am looking forward to taking a few weeks off and not hearing my own voice.

Most of the FB coverage had to do with two themes: First, the discovery I made that a Facebook “Active Users” meant anyone who clicked a Like button that day/month (See Less than meets the eye at Facebook and Who’s a Daily Facebook User? Anyone who clicks “Like”). Secondly, the notorious but accurately titled post How Facebook Fucked Up Its Own IPO.

I guess the media responded to both.

If for some masochistic reason you feel compelled to hear me babble about this noise, you can inflict the following on yourselves over the holiday weekend:

• Bove vs Ritholtz on JPMorgan’s Jamie Dimon, Bailouts (BNN)
• Facebook Raises IPO Price Range (BNN)
• Ritholtz: Facebook Valuation ‘Piggish’ (Bloomberg)
• Plenty of Blame to Share for Faulty Facebook IPO (Yahoo Finance)
• Burned by the Best of Breed: JPM (Yahoo Finance)
• How Much Does the Fiscal Cliff Matter? (Yahoo Finance)
• Why Facebook Is Almost as Greedy as Bernie Madoff (WSJ)

Over this same period, I had to turn down requests from ABC, CNN, BBC, CNN International and others due to scheduling conflicts, too short notice, etc.

I also am working on a skunk works video project that is potentially very very cool. More on this later.

Other than a brief appearance on the FDIC insurance next week, I am going off the media grid for a few months. If I am sick of hearing my voice, I can only assume you are too.

Category: Media

15 Responses to “Peak Media Whore!”

1. cognos says:

Really NICE WORK!

So “piggish” on IPO valuation… and thats just stupid bc the same insiders still retail 85% of the stock. Should been 1/3rd to 1/2 and would “popped” 50-100%. I was not involved.

Still all that matters are the next 3-6 quarters… but I doubt they have 300% EPS growth baked, and it only deserves a 40-60x multiple (at any lower growth rate).

AAPL at around 10x EPS… remains hilarious “free money”. Every year.

2. PeterR says:

You deserve the time off. Enjoy it, and thanks for a great site!

3. StatArb says:

In my 30 years on Wall Street , I spent many a moment with the press , with many of the same talking heads that you deal with .
    It was a help to my career and firm at first , but it then became a hindrence to doing business with certain institutional types who didn’t want anything to do with media . I learned my lesson , enjoy my “free time” , and also like the fact that I don’t hear the same inane questions over and over

You’re better off without them

4. mathman says:

Though it takes a bit of energy ‘talkin’ til yer blue in the face’ (as my mom used to say), and it can be draining when apparently you have to “think for whole world” and, though your words are in a prestigious rag, it seems no one in any position of power is listening or heeding them, DO keep up the good fight, the information sharing, the business suggestions and this wonderful blog.

Rest and recharge (maybe listen to some of that new dub-step) and hit it again, improving your game through reflection and “homework.”

Here’s some of what we’re up against, going forward:

some allies:

Thanks again for all you do! Time for some music (for your ride home):

5. advsys says:

love having a voice of reason amongst all the noise and spin out there. You can’t over do it as far as I am concerned. Thanks for calling out Dick Bove on his half math calculation about the tax payers making 150 million on the bail outs.

6. marianlibrarian says:

Ditto. Thanks–you’ll be missed.

7. philipat says:

Are CNBS still in a huff and not talking to you?

If so, you’re not missing much. Their coverage (And Ratings) go from bad to worse and their position still seems to be that Wall Street is there to have its butt licked by them. Bloomberg is going in the same direction but at least its streamed (Why oh why do CNBS not stream?) And their chivks are better to look at!!

BR: They want an exclusive deal, something I am not comfortable with.

They will come around. Or not. Matters little…

8. “…love having a voice of reason amongst all the noise and spin out there…”
    and, then, there’s ~’P****ng into the Wind..’

Which, really, is Better?

or, check that, Is that a False Equivalency?

maybe, Better (?), yon’ Ritholtz should keep, more, to His ‘own’ Channels..
    maybe, We should recall that ‘the Middleman’ takes ‘His own Piece’..
    with that, BRIPTV, and/or BRIPRadio, would be Sufficient.
    Those that are ‘tuned in’, would find it..those ‘seeking’, wouldn’t have to Search far..
    ~~

There *was a Day when there was ’57 Channels, and Nothing on..’ (h/t Bruce)..but, “it doesn’t have to be that way..”

BR: Working on it . . .

9. pintelho says:

Let’s write a book about this BR. Contact me.

10. philipat says:

Nice one with Bove Barry. This Guy is such an asshat and totally discredited as a result of his Lehman call. Beats me why the media, or for that matter anyone, would continue to listen to Bove/Greenspan etc etc. But they do.

11. philipat says:

“BR: They want an exclusive deal, something I am not comfortable with.

They will come around. Or not. Matters little…”

But Barry, as a Contibutor you would get 200 Dollars per appearance and have the enormous pleasure of getting to Jersy at 5AM to spend face time with Kernan who would be defending JPM against all criticism and your contract would not allow you to respond. I can’t figure out why you wouldn’t go for that Barry : P

12. Arequipa01 says:

If you’re sick of your own voice, why not do your next interview with a John Wayne voice? Or maybe Gilbert Gottfried? Or go Clint on them- perhaps something from the greatest western evah- The Outlaw Josey Wales.

13. boveri says:

I hope your sojourn from the media does not include this #1 blog.

14. Ziggy says:

” If I am sick of hearing my voice, I can only assume you are too.”

Actually, I’m not.

When eggs are breaking all over the place and one of the great key voices who bridges the gap between “alternative media” and lamestreamers decides to take a couple of months off from that role, I’m kind of alarmed – and, as they say, just because you’re paranoid doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s not someone out to getcha. More explanation is necessary or you’ll make me worry!

I not only needs me my BH / Big Pic to keep things things in perspective, but to also know that his appearances are probably disqualifying lamestream bootlick media types from their prospective Golden Goebbels Awards for Best in Financial Media Propaganda.

Barry – thank you, thank you for all you do. Please, by all means take a break – but don’t wander far.

15. boveri says: