Now that its been announced, I can share some details with you about Aaron Task, Yahoo Finance‘s new and first Editor-in-Chief.

I have known and worked with Aaron for over a decade, beginning with my early days as a contributor to TheStreet.com. Aaron was the Managing Editor — and one of those rare birds who actually made your work better, as opposed to merely different.

When I was tapped to write Bailout Nation, I wanted to make sure I was on the proper path, so I asked Aaron to be my editor. However, he was much more than that — he kept the project focused, structured and relevant to the key underlying issues (as opposed to my own tendency towards digressions and rambling off-topic parentheticals, not that they aren’t interesting and informative but they can sometimes get unwieldy and irrelevant, and of which this present one is a perfect example).

Aaron’s managerial background — in print, video, and online — means he is well suited to do the same for the sprawling and sometimes messy Yahoo! Finance. I expect he will bring the same discipline to it that he did with me: Keep it focused, well-structured and relevant.

As much as Yahoo! has been criticized over the years for being somewhat dysfunctional, Yahoo! Finance remains the #1 financial news destination online. They generate a whopping 36.7 million unique visitors a month. No one else is even close to their size and numbers and influence — even without an internal social component and only modest mobile offerings. This means the job of editor-in-chief is important — not just to Yahoo, but to the financial community as a whole.

I know Aaron pretty well, and based on my experience working with him, I can make a few educated guesses as to how he might steer Yahoo Finance:

1. New voices and sources
2. More original content
3. Tighter technology integration, including social & mobile
4. More strategic partnerships
5. Stronger overall structure and focus

That is just my hunch, but its a well founded one. I hope whoever his business counterpart is at Yahoo Finance is up to the job.

Congrats on the new gig Aaron — don’t let the awesome new responsibility you have assumed prevent you from making bold choices or making big bets.

Good luck !

Category: Bailout Nation, Web/Tech

15 Responses to “What May Be in Store at Yahoo Finance”

1. vachon says:

Thanks for the good news about the new guy. If he needs any help, I”m sure he can depend on us.

2. Chief Tomahawk says:

Those Yahoo Finance stock message boards — sheesh!

3. The Window Washer says:

Congratulations to Aaron “Quote Unquote” Task

While I was reading Bailout Nation I remember thinking “That sounds like Aaron” a few times. I hope you work together again sometime.

4. yuan says:

yes this is mean and catty…but…buh bye daniel gross.

5. louis says:

Reeks of Crony Capitalism
    jk

6. ElSid says:

I think Task is great. Congrats to him. I just hope he keeps doing his thing. Him and Henry are really too good for Yahoo, if you ask me, but who’s asking me?

7. abstutz says:

“a good man… and thorough. ”

yahoo and this site are the two sites i visit on a daily basis, and Aaron is one of the main reasons for the Yahoo! visit. good luck to him.

8. constantnormal says:

I hope that they don’t alter the scriptable nature of Yahoo quotes … Yahoo Finance is the best way for do-it-yourselfers to build their own automated quote collection software.

That’s the one remaining tie that I have to Yahoo Finance … so far as I am able to tell, it is a unique facility … and I’d hate to have to build and maintain a screen-scraping system of ugly hacks, those are fragile and fall apart with every little change to the web pages …

What would be great is for them to take a look at that facility, devise ways to make it easier to use (that part might be a little difficult) and extend it to areas that are poorly covered or not covered at all in the present system (i.e., bond prices, futures prices).

9. constantnormal says:

Was this a Mayer change, or something that has been in the works for a while? Seems a little quick for her to be reorganizing, even if they are good changes thus far …

10. NoKidding says:

I used to use yahoo for my quick daytime market observations from the lab. Switched to Google two years ago. Cleaner interface with fewer and less distracting banners.

11. number2son says:

I’ve always found Task’s work informative and unbiased. I expect good things as he takes on Yahoo Finance. Removing the message boards might be a good, first step. ;)

12. I use both seekingalpha’s portfolio (easy to port over stock prices: copy and paste tickers in ‘add portfolio’) and google finance (lean and minimalist), but yahoo finance is my home page to stock prices and general news.

Yahoo’s an awesome force for the financial markets, yet it has lost its way. Yahoo needs to beef up its video and news content, and focus on flickr….get back to its core business.

13. RC says:

I am a regular visitor of Yahoo Finance and like Aaron’s unbiased reporting and the guest with varied opinions that he/Yahoo Finance brings. I like Daniel Gross and Henry Blodget as well.
    Congratulations and best of luck to both Aaron and Yahoo Finance!!!

14. [...] What may be in store at Yahoo! Finance.  (Big Picture) [...]

15. ToNYC says:

Yahoo Finance might think of reducing the spread between the $1400. a month or so for a Bloomberg terminal and what they deliver, building up that field of financial dreams and tools and they will come with coin. YF for Professionals is not rocket science for the clean-look keeper Marissa Mayer. Great srt need not be exclusive where there is real community.