As we move inexorably closer to the November elections, I think it’s critical we keep in mind some of the wisest words ever penned by one of the wisest markets/economics pundits extant:

“I have long believed that stock markets are the best barometer of the health, wealth and security of a nation. And today’s stock market message is an unmistakable vote of confidence for the president.”

-Larry Kudlow, July 20, 2007

Keep that in mind, ladies and germs. I mean, who am I – or any of us – to argue with Sir Lawrence?

Category: Politics, Really, really bad calls

32 Responses to “Kudlow Comes Out for Obama”

1. socaljoe says:

These days, stock markets are the best barometer of investor expectations for central bank money printing.

2. Frilton Miedman says:

Mustard seeds!…Green shoots!

3. Lee Adler says:

I have always thought of Kudlow as an idiot and a clown. His believing that the stock market is a barometer of the health of the economy confirms it.

4. chartist says:

Larry Kudlow, a fine American, are you kidding me? Jesus H Christ on a popsycle stick…..Anybody who espoused trickle down economics should be burned at the stake ala the Salem witch trials.

5. jd2012 says:

Kudlow I.e, CNBC r not too be taking seriously on any financial issue.

6. RW says:

[lol] I’ll bet the inestimable Sir Lawrence would say the same thing again …if Romney wins.

This is actually not a snark so much as an acknowledgement that we appear to have entered a world in which hypocrisy is no longer an adequate standard because truth no longer has sufficient moral foundation to make it a basis for punishing transgression.

Fred Clark, an intimate if not an active member of the evangelical world, blogs at Slacktivist and wonders at the capacity of his more conservative brethren to rant against ‘relativism’ while extolling the virtues of ‘absolute truth’ and yet deny a record like this because it is ‘partisan’ rather than merely, you know, factual: Mitt Romney tells 533 lies in 30 weeks, Steve Benen documents them.

7. DiggidyDan says:

I never can tell if he’s a complete idiot or just a shill.

8. DSS10 says:

No, trusting the financial health of the nation to a LBO specialist is the right thing to do! Honest!

9. DSS10 says:

He is all Bow Tie, no trade.

10. martin66 says:

I am so with DiggidyDan (and priors) on this one. My own guess is K. is an amalgam of the two. But it does make me pause as to whether I should rethink my own vote.

11. socaljoe says:

Vote of confidence?… the SP500 return since those comments were made 5 years ago is zilch.

12. Rick Caird says:

If pumping the stock market is a vote for Obama, then Bernanke is head cheerleader.

13. BuildingCom says:

KudLiar? Seriously?

He’s the same jacka$$ who was out telling everyone to pay massively inflated prices for rapidly depreciating houses as late as 2008.

14. MayorQuimby says:

Stock market is barometer of how much people are paying for stocks.

15. wrongtrade says:

I have been a follower of this fine blog for a couple years, and I am noticing a disturbing trend. Barry wisely advises not to mix politics and investing but this is another occasion where Invictus has thrown a grenade, followed by liberals piling on via comments. It is perfectly valid ( but completely unneccessary) to point out that Kudlow’s statement (quoted above)is stupid, but the liberal hate embedded in the headline as well as the commenters foaming at the mouth to demonstrate their ideology and ignorance are unbecoming.

16. 4whatitsworth says:

Yeah, noisy wondering why I even read it.

17. JerseyCynic says:

wrongtrade — your comment was completely unneCessary

18. Christopher says:

Kudlow is a good man…..if you ever need a good hookers and blow wingman….

19. CPT Ethanolic says:

All you need to know about Kudlow is in this quote:

In December 2007, [Kudlow] wrote: “The recession debate is over. It’s not gonna happen. Time to move on. At a bare minimum, we are looking at Goldilocks 2.0. (And that’s a minimum). The Bush boom is alive and well. It’s finishing up its sixth splendid year with many more years to come”.

20. comet52 says:

I loves me some Larry Kudlow!

Kud-low.. mmmm.

21. CPT Ethanolic says:

Kudlow and Krauthamster – daily proof that nonsense will be taken seriously if you sound really serious when you say it.

22. Moss says:

Kudlow is the ultimate partisan demagogue, so biased by his ideology that his words mean absolutely nothing, except of course to his team.

23. rktbrkr says:

LK should be viewed as a comedian, same as cramer (although Cramer is immensely smarter and much of his humor is intentional unlike LK)

LK was quick to blame the stock market collapse on Obama but then fell silent when the SM rebounded and held it’s heights pretty well.

Generally the SM performs better with Dems as Prez, a Repub friend of mine attributes this to luck – the market has good luck with Dems and bad luck with Pubs – so go with the flow, if you want good luck vote for O’B, Willard is bad luck.

24. webmartians says:

How many of you followed Barry’s (-Larry Kudlow, July 20, 2007) link?

I laughed my ass off. Beautiful!

25. DeDude says:

You seem to not have understood his process. He starts with the conclusion (GOP is good, Dems are bad) and then he goes out and look for supporting evidence (ignoring all the contradicts his conclusions). Back then the stock market was such “evidence”. Now that same evidence will give the “wrong” conclusion, so he will ignore it and trot out something else that show how bad Obama is. That is why this man gets it wrong more often that a flipping coin. It is also why anybody who build their opinions on analysis of facts consider him a clown.

26. rj chicago says:

Umm…..who was Pres in 2007? Sheesh!!!

27. socaljoe says:

I agree completely with wrongtrade… political partisanship and personal attacks are unbecoming of this otherwise excellent blog.

28. kbwoody says:

Kudlow and Krugman…2 very intelligent people who lose all credibility by injecting politics into every argument. Anybody that buys into their partisan manure, is in fact a consumer of crap.

29. AHodge says:

one thing about Rs
    including those here
    they have a near lock on indignant self righteousness and slurs to their dignity
    i can put up wih partizans on both sides, i sort of have to right now
    but kudlow is in a class by himself
    he makes shit up regularly, knows it, and i can prove it.

30. AndrewBW says:

Market up 245 today. I think I just heard Larry Kudlow’s head exploding.

31. 873450 says:

07/07
    Larry Kudlow says the stock market message is an unmistakable vote of confidence for President Bush.

07/07
    Gallop poll says 29%-31% Americans approve the way George W. Bush is handling his job as president.

In retrospect five years later who was right? Kudlow or Gallop?

32. emrobin says:

I think he is saying the market is showing confidence. Check his comments 9/7 concerning the jobs report. Says the poor data is going to do in the President. Lets do better at not jumping to conclusions, yet.