I am probably on the way home from the beach about now. These are what caught my interest and may even kick your sun frazzled brains back into gear.

• Profits Came in Lower Than Expected? Hip, Hip, Hooray! (WSJ) see also Election or Not, Stocks Seem Poised for Trouble in 2013 (WSJ)
• California’s marijuana industry under attack (Money CNN)
Bob Shiller: ‘Framing’ Prevents Needed Stimulus (NYT)
• Morgan Stanley Smith Barney rainmakers consider exit (Reuters) see also A Bunch Of Big Advisers At Morgan Stanley Might Leave The Firm For A Totally Embarrassing Reason (Business Insider)
• Investing: Hedges on the edge (FT.com)
• MERS: Mortgage Registry Muddles Foreclosures (NYT)
• Can we save American capitalism? (Washington Post) see also Are Groups More Rational than Individuals? (Conversable Economist)
• From Physician Glut to Physician Shortage (Economix)
Bruce Bartlett: Why I will be staying at home on US election day (FT.com) see also Four more years? (The Economist)
• What I Am Grateful For (James Altucher)

What are you reading?

Market volatility

Source: Economist

Category: Financial Press

13 Responses to “Labor Day Reading”

1. RW says:

Quick Data Notes (a href=”http://economistsview.typepad.com/timduy/2012/09/quick-data-notes.html”>Tim Duy) [looking ahead]

Who’s Fighting for Workers? (a href=”http://jaredbernsteinblog.com/whos-fighting-for-workers/”>Jared Bernstein) [looking behind]

The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Bullsh*tter (Mark Kleiman) [looking askance]

2. RW says:

Quick Data Notes (Tim Duy*) [looking ahead]

Who’s Fighting for Workers? (Jared Bernstein*) [looking behind]

*malformed links corrected

3. theexpertisin says:

The William Ward “Quote of the Day” was an excellent choice.

BR: QOTD is a randomized selection from a file I made. I never know what its going to be each day!

4. RW says:

The Classic Regional Barbecue Sauce Recipes
    For those who haven’t made it off the weekend yet: An excellent list with links to more detail, locales and recipes [personal favorites: SC mustard sauce, LA bite sauce, TX mop sauce, KY black sauce]

5. willid3 says:

after you retire, unless you are lucky (and rich) you might end up with nothing

6. jaymaster says:

Wow, that Altucher piece was awesome. I need to put him into my regular rotation.

Thanks for sharing!

7. JoseOle says:

It’s a few months old now, but this interview with Jim Chanos in the Graham and Doddsville newsletter had escaped my detection until now.

8. vachon says:

I’m reading about Hollande’s bailout of Crédit Immobilier de France (h/t Yves Smith @ NakedCapitalism).

(This link is via an FT/Google workaround).

Hollande doesn’t have a whole lot of choices on this one because it’s a subsidiary of CIF which is TBTF. What’s amazing is that the bank couldn’t get it’s paperwork in on time to avoid the Moody’s April rating cut. Excuse my French but wtf?

9. vachon says:

I was laughing at the Morgan Stanley trader mutiny. Been there, done that. Right after the real estate crash I uprooted my life to stay in Branden, Florida to start a job as a searcher for a medium sized title insurance underwriter. I had 10 years of experience and had even won an award for my “zero claims” work. I lasted at the new place 30 days and then walked out. A stone and flint were hi-tech for these people. ( I won’t even go into the neanderthals that passed for management.) Printers? Telephones? A disaster all the`way around.

10. Good article, well-researched, as balanced as can be, given today’s parlous times:

BR: The Daily Caller was founded by conservative commentator Tucker Carlson and Republican politician Neil Patel, former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney. The article mischaracterizes both the litigation & the settlement. And that you would cite this as balanced is laughgable.

11. davefromcarolina says:

“…and his running-mate, Paul Ryan, is a fount of bold ideas.”

The Economist…jeez, what happened to these guys?

12. Thanks for the info, BR. I had no idea who the founders were. The author did have some harsh words for Bush, so I figured that was balanced. Wrong, I guess.