via Mercer:

click for ginormous graphic

Sticker shock: Cost of living varies widely
Infographic by Mercer Insights

Category: Digital Media, Inflation

6 Responses to “Cost of Living Varies Widely”

1. Frilton Miedman says:

I’ll probably get flamed for this, but, I have to say it.

Relative the reality of income vs cost of living, the price of french fries, a movie ticket, or the cost of a luxury PH apartment in Manhattan is hardly the biggest concern for the bulk of middle class consumption, which is the biggest economic threat right now.

This goes hand in hand with the “Corporations are people, evil people” thread the other day, I thoroughly agree with the premises, but the colorful and bright pictures conveyed an almost condescending message, as to say the reader of said message needs cartoon-like presentations with sensationalist worlds like “evil” & “greedy” to comprehend the problem.

Again, I THOROUGHLY agree with the message, I only question the methods….

I can easily picture O’Reilly or Kudlow cracking jokes about the cartoon-like “Evil corporations” infographic’s intended demography…or using the price comparison for french fries as an excuse to discard the message altogether.

2. Braden says:

I would like to apply for that $2,205 2 bedroom luxury apartment in Vancouver immediately, and would be willing to sign a 2 year lease, or more if it’s offered.
    I can move in on the first of the month.

3. b_thunder says:

The prices in the USA are some of the lowest in the “civilized” world. From Big Mcs to Rolls-Royces we pay less than most other nations…. EXCEPT for HEALTHCARE, for which we pay 2-3X more. Why is that?
    Lack of free market? Price gouging? Gov’t intervention? Monopolistic behavior? And the “care” is not so good after all.
    If the costs can be dropped to what other countries pay, the difference would fully pay for the budget deficit.

Also, we pay disproportionally high “price” K-12 ed, and the majority of colleges. What’s the deal with that?

4. Malachi says:

I pay $3.50 for a cup of coffee in Sydney – at several locations, not $5.36 as listed above. Cost of a 2 bedroom apartment is fairly accurate (3200) and climbing every six months – although I wouldn’t describe a decent recently updated apartment as luxury.
    Movie tix outside US seem to be almost twice as expensive whatever country I’m in. Weird.
    Everything is on sale in the US – except healthcare. I pay less than $100 a month for private cover. Sometimes I ask myself if that can be right? And I check and it is.

5. brucery says:

This looks all screwed up when it comes to Tokyo. It’s like the constantly repeated figure about the $300 taxi expense from Narita airport to downtown Tokyo that doesn’t mention that the airport is about 60 miles from downtown Tokyo and that there are airport buses and trains for 10% of that price.

Unless an expat is having coffee with a naked woman on his lap, I don’t know how he’s paying $8.29 for a cup of coffee. You could go to Starbucks (not exactly known as a bargain spot) and buy the biggest cup of coffee they have for far less. The movie ticket number is also deceptive since no one goes to see a movie without buying their ticket in advance at a discount (it didn’t take me long to figure that out when I lived there). The price of a fast food hamburger meal in Tokyo seems a touch high, but also kind of irrelevant — like basing a Japanese executive’s compensation in the USA on the difference in price between a bowl of Udon in Tokyo (where it’s dirt cheap) and one in NYC (where it’s pretty costly since it’s not nearly as ubiquitous).

Of course, the housing number seems too low since finding a luxury apartment with a US-equivalent commute and what an American would find to be reasonable space and amenities is quite probably well in excess of $5K per month.

All in all, lovely infographics that remind me of the adage “Garbage In, Garbage Out”…

6. faustusnotes says:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m a Sydneysider living in Tokyo, and I pay 370 yen for a double shot americano at Starbucks – 4.56 by today’s exchange rate. I could go to the Saizeriya next door and pay for their drinks bar, get as much espresso coffee as i want along with orange juice and soup for probably 2.50 US. Today for lunch I had a burger with soup, salad and coffee for about $11 US.

I wonder why expatriate workers pay so much more?