My afternoon train reads:

• Charlie Rose Talks to Jeremy Grantham (Businessweek)
• How Academic Research Destroys Stock Values (The Chronicle) see also Cash as Trash, Cash as King, and Cash as a Weapon (CFA Institute)
• Why We Can’t Solve Big Problems (Technology Review)
Felix: Hero of the day, CPDO edition (Thomas Reuters) see also Goldman urges Supreme Court to end mortgage class-action (Thomas Reuters)
• Hard-hit by sanctions, Iran suspends 20-percent uranium enrichment (Al Arabiya News)
• Obama Stock Market’s Low Volatility Favors Incumbents (Bloomberg) see also Did Hurricane Sandy Blow Romney Off Course? (Five Thirty Eight)
• Where Voter-ID Laws May Decide the Election (The Root)
• Answer Three ‘Why’ Questions: Abstract Thinking Can Make You More Politically Moderate (Science Daily) see also Difficult-To-Read Font Reduces Political Polarity (Science Daily)
• Severe gas shortage relief in sight (Crains NY)
• Hurricane Sandy and Twitter as a self-cleaning oven for news (Gigaom) see also Disruptions: Twitter’s Uneasy Role in Guarding the Truth (Bits)

What are you reading?

Economist commodity-price index II

Source: Economist

Category: Financial Press

6 Responses to “10 Monday PM Reads”

1. Jojo says:

In the spirit of election day tomorrow, write-in Fred for president (since Barry said he didn’t want the job).
    ———-
    President Fred
    Fred Throws Sombrero in Ring
    The Only Thing We Have to be A-Fred of is Fred Hisself

October 25, 2012

I see that I shall have to take over the helm of the country to save it from the impending collapse. It has come to this. I have always said that I would undertake the presidency only under an assumed name–who would want that on his resumè?–but noblesse oblges. What could be nobler than this column?

You may say, “But Fred, how can you be so bloody arrogant as to think you can run the country?” To which I reply, “We know that the incumbents cannot. I may be able to. In any event, I couldn’t be worse: I have not that talent. Which do you prefer, assured disaster or a sporting chance?”

Apparently the key to a successful campaign is a bumper sticker of supernal stupidity and irrelevance. I can play that game. How about “A Fred in Every Pot.” Or Tippecanoe and Frederick Too.” Or “Better Fred than Dead.” Or “Fred…Ahhhh.” Or, most pertinently, “Well, Have You Got a Better Idea?”

It is my understanding that as a candidate, I need a platform. I think this means a pack of rhythmically mendacious platitudes that would put a crank freak to sleep. I shall try to do better. The following appear to me serviceable:

2. ilsm says:

Why We Can’t Solve Big Problems:

Solution cut DoD R&D to less than $40B a year, end life support for terrible engineering houses.

“venture capitalists”did not finance the moon race, the US taxpayer did, assumed too much risk, and the complex refused to kill the technical dogs. This created welfare for engineers who never need to “perform”.

In 1967, the US aerospace industry was run by the rising middle managers from WW II. The industry had not become the welfare program it became under Reagan.

The huge sums of money thrown into the military industry congress complex were not productive. The industry became welfare where a system no matter how shoddy would not be “killed” after GHW Bush lost the presidential race in 1992, a year or so after the A-12 was cancelled because it was progressing about the same as the F-22, B-2, F-35 and MV 22 to name a few.

In the ealry 1990′s I was at DoD program manager college and heard Norm Augustine CEO of Martin Marietta tell the tale that the way the welfare establishment known as the military industry complex was going someday the US would afford/own one each super aircraft and the services would have to share it.

The space shuttle was the first space program which was supposed to be “productionized”. It never met the requirements, and remained an expensive science project for 30 years.

Worse, total US R&D in 2009 was $400B with DoD accounting for 52%. Terrible ROI there!!!

3. ilsm says:

This was reported by al Arabiya about 5 PM EST yesterday.

This is a significant win for Obama policy toward Iran!

Where is the coverage?

4. Mike in Nola says:

Been watching Obama speak on live coverage on the Windows 8 Sky News app. The guys is such a fake, selling out to the rich while putting on a good enough act to make the righties’ calls of socialist credible. But he makes a helluva speech.

I have been impressed with Sky’s coverage. And they have more entertaining commercials than us. Too bad we can’t subscribe to the whole shebang.

5. formerlawyer says:

Re the twitter articles and the CNN comment, Fox News has been singularly silent on Sandy – working themselves in a lather about “Benghzigate” instead.
    see: http://mediamatters.org/

6. Futuredome says:

You know, if the Republicans had given McCain a real running mate and let him be the Rockefeller Republican he really is, he might have won the elections……..but no, the neo-cons forced in their hoe to make sure he stayed with their junk. I really wanted to vote for McCain but couldn’t after that. Now McCain is a sad old loser.

Sadly, America is probably going to vote in a medicore President like Barak Obama again and it isn’t like you have much a choice. Voting for the Republican version of John Kerry with a worse ego is why guys like Bush and Obama get reelected, even though both(for different reasons) don’t have the skills for the job.