I suspect this chart’s improvement helped the incumbent quite a bit.

some of the more observant of you may notice the spurts from August 2011 (QE2 Operation Twist) as well as September 2012 (QE3)  . . .

U.S. Economic Confidence Index

Source: Gallup Daily

Category: Federal Reserve, Politics, Psychology

6 Responses to “U.S. Economic Confidence Index”

1. Chief Tomahawk says:

FASB 157 in March of ’09 led to quite a spurt as well.

2. CSF says:

What drove the increase in consumer confidence? Jobs have been up recently, but nothing special, and many of the new jobs are part time. Incomes have been flat to marginally higher. I guess it was housing and the stock market (psychological boost more than the wealth effect).

3. rp says:

QE2 was in Aug 2010. Operation twist was in2011.

BR: Doh! I’ll fix above

4. Greg0658 says:

this morning on the cash peacock station Michelle held up a Chinese study .. what appears to be the kings&queens study of that definition of Left & Right* .. or labor vs capital* .. my addition to that line: is what’s in the middle -ie: labor | starvation | capital .. starvation meaning = no-work, broke, no-energy, chaos, hungry
    I think the east coast feels that in spades this past week :-|

* L & R might be visaversa there – don’t quote me – never got that label

5. wally says:

“What drove the increase in consumer confidence?”

I think that a big part of it is just going for a period of time with nothing really bad happening. There are so many doom-and-gloomers predicting a relapse of the Great Collapse and, when it doesn’t happen year after year, people rebuild confidence.
    Stability begets confidence.

6. rj chicago says:

…….UNTIL THE NEXT COLLAPSE!