Traveling for Thanksgiving? Fire up the tablet and enjoy some pre-holiday reads!

• Birinyi: Sixth Myths About the Stock Market (MarketBeat)
• 10 things stores won’t say about Black Friday (MarketWatch) see also Bionic Mannequins Spy on Shoppers to Boost Luxury Sales (Bloomberg)
• HP’s Accounting Claims Are Seen as Cover for Bad Deals  (Bloomberg) see also H-P Says It Was Duped, Takes $8.8 Billion Charge (WSJ)
• The Making Of A Great Contraction With A Liquidity Trap and A Jobless Recovery (The National Bureau of Economic Research)
• Wall Street Kept Winning on Mortgages Upending Homeowners (Bloomberg) see also Mortgage Settlement Monitor “Progress” Report Gooses Numbers to Hide Lack of Real Relief to Homeowners (Naked Capitalism)
• Apple and the Desire for Control (Bits)
Todays WTF Headline: Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth (Bloomberg) see also The Confederacy of Takers (Washington Post)
• You Can’t Say That on the Internet (NYT)
• Modern wheat a “perfect, chronic poison,” doctor says (CBS News)
• After Obama, Christie Wants a G.O.P. Hug (NYT) see also Conservative Republicans fight back after Romney loss (Washington Post)

What are you eating tomorrow?

Will Retailers’ Black Friday Strategies Work?

Source: WSJ

Category: Financial Press

8 Responses to “10 Mid-Week PM Reads”

1. VennData says:

S&P 500 Facing 25% Drop Before US Election: Janjuah

Another blowhard on CNBC who blew it.

2. Takeyourfinger says:

The article about wheat being an opiate seems incredible, but wait, oh, the good Doctor has a book he’d like to sell you.

Modern wheat is a derivative of a variety called Norin-10. Norin-10 was a dwarf variety, which was hybridized with other varieties to produce more yield. At least this statement “It’s an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the ’60s and ’70s,” is factually incorrect, as we didn’t have genetic research back then, any more than creating a dog breed from breeding would be considered “genetic research.”

The basic deal is that you needed a dwarf plant, because if you fertilized a normal plant, it’d grow too tall and fall over when the wind blew. It’s not like there was a mad scientist trying to poison everyone.

Without these varieties, we would have had mass starvation in India from the 60s and 70s, which explains the apocalyptic movies like Soylent Green of that era. Nothing to see here.

3. Mike in Nola says:

I do need to take issue with Milbank on leaving Houston out of the protectorates. Obama won Harris County, though not by a lot. But it was still pretty amazing considering how much of the population works in oil-related industries and how much works in medicine where the employers keep telling the employees that Obamacare will put them out of business.

Austin was easy for Obama; it’s full of bureaucrats and pointy-headed academics.

4. jnkowens says:

My wife and I read “Wheat Belly” last winter (it’s been out for some time). I suffered from inflammation, acid reflux (which i blamed on spicy foods), and irritable bowel syndrome. We were both already in great shape as we do triathlete training, but were having trouble tightening our core area’s and couldn’t lose the last 5 to 10 pounds no matter what we tried.
    Since putting Dr. Davis’ advice into practice all of the above has corrected itself. We eat almost no wheat. I’ve gone from using two tums per night to about six tums in the last year, while eating a very spicy diet. I have no more IBS, and we have both dropped weight and especially inches in our core.
    I recommended this to a woman at work, and after reading the book she eliminated wheat too and has lost 25 lbs.
    I couldn’t care less if Dr. Davis ever sells another book, but I can absolutely confirm that this approach has been life changing for me. FWIW.

5. Chad says:

This isn’t the only research suggesting wheat is bad for us. I have seen other legit studies suggest that wheat may be a major health issue. Nothing has been 100% confirmed yet, but it does not look good for wheat.

6. metphd23 says:

@jnkowens – I had a similar experience as you. I read “Wheat Belly” and followed “The 4-Hour Body” diet (I did eat wheat 1-day per week on cheat day). Lost fifteen lbs. without much effort. I wouldn’t want to generalize since I have only a sample size of one. But for my metabolism, I definitely must be wheat/carb sensitive.

7. DeDude says:

The story about “Modern Wheat” is a textbook example of malfunctioning market forces. The poison of the product does not show up until long after it has been ingested, so there is only profit, no penalty, for growing modern wheat. Indeed farmers who had doubt and didn’t change from the old grains were quickly kicked out of business due to market forces.