So the redesign of the site is proceeding apace. The interior work is just about done, and I am very jazzed about what Tim developed. In terms of usability it is outstanding, and has a clean modern feel. All that is really left are the header graphics and background.

One of the most requested features has been an improved mobile version for iPhones, Androids and iPads. It is not finished, but I can show you an early version of what the layout kinda is going to look like: Click or paste the URL “www.onswipe.com/bigpicture” on any mobile device. If you are on a desktop, you can see the graphics below.

This is still a rough version, and we have to sync the new graphics, font, color family, etc.  The basic concept is that Onswipe’s software automatically pulls the headline, a sentence or two, and the first graphic it sees of each post. Its pretty sweet!

The iPhone/Android version puts up one post per screen, with a feature button top left, and a drop down menu top right (for seeing only content now currently under tabs) op right:

The iPad/tablet version has 5 posts on the front page, you can launch any single post, or swipe to see the next 5 with similar feature/drop down buttons:

I already disabled the other WP plug in I was using, which seemed to be universally disliked.

Any thoughts, constructive feedback, criticisms would be appreciated . . .

Category: Markets

26 Responses to “The Big Picture Mobile Edition”

1. bergsten says:

If I could vote for one and only one feature for mobile (iPhone) it would be the ability to “zoom in” via the two-finger-spreading gesture. Some of are getting old enough to need glasses and dumb enough to forget to have them with one at all times!

2. bergsten says:

If I had a second vote, it would be to disallow this recent ad thing that pops up at the bottom of the screen, and follows you around — in some cases having no way to “X” it away. Also it will reappear on each and every page change and return. Happens lately here and on zerohedge. This thing makes visiting both sites aggravating and not worth the bother. I take note of the vendors and will NEVER buy anything from them, ever.

BR: Yeah, I hate that — its gone in the Onswipe edition

3. hawkingvalue says:

Especially like the new iPad interface; very intuitive and user friendly. I don’t mind the ads – understand it helps defray the cost of the website. Keep up the great work – a daily must read!

4. Iamthe50percent says:

I’m glad for iPhone folks, but I hope the site will still be good for blind old bats with big screens and dinosaur desktops like me.

5. Seaton says:

Seems to work well enough on my older Motorola smartphone. I think I’m going through ATT-towers/service at this time, but it seems to be a perfect recreation of what it looks like on my office desk machine, thanks! Should be excellent for those random moments I seem to be waiting …on someone else. 2 taps & spiffily-enlarged-screen for my older eyes. I guess it really is time for me to get the new Galaxy Note 2 device/ PDA.

6. just, a Q: ..or so…

why is the ‘Graphics Block’ (containing “The Big Picture”), so much larger than your Logo?

also, esp. on the ‘small screen’ vers., the Logo and ‘Graphics Block’ look like they are ‘mis-aligned’..

would the Graphic Artist be willing to share His thinking about such?

BR: Thats all temporary — its what I cobbled together inspired by elements from other people’s mobile designs. It should be proportional once the designer cleans it up in the final version.

7. Soto says:

Looks great on the iPhone 4s. I have only one problem with the Onswipe demo: I can not access the search and URL bar. Normally, these two items disappear when you are on a webpage using iPhone Safari, but just tapping on the top of the screen returns the two items. Right now, with the Onswipe demo, tapping the top of the screen does nothing, so there is no way to search the page or head off to another URL (maybe you don’t want me to?).

BR: Oooh, that’s a good observation. I can add a Search function to the drop down . . .

8. ToNYC says:

“Gleason worked his way up to a job at New York’s Club 18, where insulting its patrons was the order of the day. Skater Sonja Henie was greeted by Gleason’s handing her an ice cube and saying, “Okay, now do something.”

Programming for the mobile screen and getting it all done in there is Sonia Henie’s challenge from Jackie Gleason.
    Bless that youthful energy!

9. sublimaze says:

Starting a sentence with so is another manifestation of the decline in the use of standard English and the “dumbing down” of our culture. So, what else is new?

10. Even worse, the unending stream of online transaction ratings and user feedback and never ending “Like This” has seemingly created the rise of a new class of superficial picayunes who, due to their ratings of assorted geegaws and worthless consumer items bought on Amazon or other online venues, actually seem to believe anyone else cares about their opinion, life experiences or viewpoints rather than recognizing that these feedback techniques are simply clever psychological tricks designed to get them to commit more time and therefore feel more invested in any given site or product — and nothing more.

Just as eating 3 squares a day does not qualify them to review restaurants for the Michelin Guide, having seen a movie similarly does not qualifies them to be Andrew Sarris. This current generation of humanity somehow has been led to believe that the world is quite interested in their every stray thought and that every humdrum run of the mill ordinary life experience is worthy of sharing with the multitudes, regardless of the sheer meaningless, rote ordinariness of the experiences.

It is almost like once having taken a remedial English class at a local community college law school somehow makes them believe that anyone else in the world gives a flying fuck about their perspectives on grammar.

11. wrongtrade says:

The frequently seen “You’ve got mail” is horrible grammar. Due to its common usage, that construction is unfortunately becoming commonplace.

Information is everywhere today, and any idiot who surfs the net combines 1) a little information with, 2) the fact that their parents told them they were special, with 3) politically correct society telling them that everyone is equal. I am sorry but everyone is not equal in all contexts. My opinion on walking in space is not worth diddly, whereas you would be honored to hear an astronaut’s “take” on a spacewalk. Similarly, today’s physicians are bombarded with idiotic information off the internet by patients who in many cases absolutely cannot be convinced that they are wrong. I always laugh when I read or hear smug criticisms of Warren Buffet for not having enough computer savvy. Talk about missing the boat. What would a guy who can pick up the phone and talk to most ANYONE anytime hope to learn by sitting at his desk surfing the internet while listening to CNBC.

Regarding the mobile site, one thing that confuses me is that sometimes I’ll get the mobile site on my desktop and vice versa. Not sure why. I access TBP mobile and desktop most every day and rarely sign in. Not sure how the “decision” is made by the ether how I will see it at any given time.

BR: That’s the old WP plug in version of mobile. (It’s been disabled). The new OnSwipe version won’t behave that way (the top left drop down toggles mobile/desktop versions.

12. huxrules says:

Is the new site still based on wordpress? Because thats pretty nice.

BR: Yes! Havent seen anything better — a marked improvement in flexibility and power since the upgrade from Typepad.

13. jonhendry says:

I can’t say I’m a fan of OnSwipe and similar interface chrome that gets in the way.

14. Jack Damn says:

Barry Ritholtz wrote:

Its almost like having taken a remedial English class at a community college makes them believe anyone else in the world gives a flying fuck about their perspectives on grammar.

Exactly.

15. DeDude says:

One thing you really need to fix is that the “Think Tank” is stuck in some kind of time warp (currently October 12) and does not show the latest postings – unless you are logged in. I am not sure if that is true for all operating systems and browsers but it is a big negative that began recently and is making the site less user friendly.

16. All of the Tabs are stuck — I know a few WP users (ie naked capitalism) that have had the same issue. Regardless, that problem goes away in the next version, circa December 10 or so.

17. DiggidyDan says:

Barry, your evisceration of troll comments made me laugh out loud! Glad the redesign is working out. I really hate the old mobile site when I am surfing on my android, especially the fact that the posts didn’t follow the desktop sites tabbed structure so that all the posts were chronological. Please keep the option to easily “view desktop version” in the mobile redesign!

18. Bob A says:

I always load the desktop version running in the browser even on my phone
    (which has a 4″ screen and has had for over two years now)
    really don’t like these dumbed down phone/tablet versions at all.
    rather scroll and zoom.
    same on desktop/phone/tablet.
    naturally a phone with a bigger screen than 3.5″ makes that more practical.

19. sublimaze says:

You seem to be a very sensitive person, Mr. Ritholz, and a dedicated follower of fashion.

20. No, Mr Belkn, not really — if you blog for as long as I have and you develop a pretty thick skin.

You, on the other hand, seem to like dishing out random criticism, but apparently, can’t take it, huh?

To be blunt, young lawyer boy, until you have written as much as I have — 24,665 posts, 100s of columns, and a book or 3, I’d would think twice before coming into my house and pissing in the potted plants.

21. end game says:

Thank you for getting rid of the mobile version where you couldn’t read the subject line in it’s entirety without clicking on it. Very happy to have the older version back and to welcome the new version.

22. Justin says:

Good Afternoon,

I normally read Barry’s blog through my kindle touch (using the experimental browser), and it has worked fine. However, for the past couple of weeks, the blog page won’t load correctly, going haywire, constantly refreshing. Perhaps you can solve the issue, as I am a devoted reader. Thanks!

Justin

23. Mike says:

Dear Mr. Ritholtz,

I greatly appreciate your work, your blog and all that you’re doing for the profession and for constantly seeking out intellectual honesty in our industry.

I write to express some concern with the new format of your blog as it relates to readability on an iPad and even PC. The old version was clean and simple and easy to navigate. This new version feels like Las Vegas Strip. Difficult to focus, navigate, and find what I’m looking for. Half of the articles don’t show 100% on the screen. You can no longer “email” a link to your computer easily (I do this to reference and file research in a Getting Things Done approach and I also send your links directly to colleagues and clients) and when I click on your daily read suggestions, it opens in Safari, but closes your app itself, so when I’m done with that article, I have to subsequently start all over again with your app. Overall, it’s just very difficult to navigate v. your older and simpler to follow approach.

Cullen Roche who runs PragCap applied the same “template” as you currently have for about a week or so and he was quick to change it for similar reasons. His current template is very nice if you’re looking for another idea.

Respectfully, I know you put a lot of time in making changes, but I’m struggling daily with making them work productively. If I’m in the minority, forgive the intrusion, but I believe it may be an issue for others as well.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
    Mike

PS – Side bar of constructive criticism: a lot of people who post comments are just so vulgar and ridiculous that it turns off people like me from wanting to participate (Maybe that’s a good thing). But that’s another thing PragCap does: he gets rid of the “F-ing This and That people” so that the rest of us feel comfortable opining. Again, thank you for your consideration.

24. Jaime says:

Your mobile site

It’s amazing. Did you hire a company or a person to do that?

Jaime

25. Justin says:

26. MD says:

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,