My afternoon train reading:

• Guessing Nonfarm Payrolls is a Joke (Wall Street Examiner)
• Three Economic Bears Seek Goldilocks Economy in U.S. (Bloomberg)
• We are working too hard (The Buzz) see also Jobs Report Likely to Tell Two Different Tales (Real Time Economics)
Satyajit Das: Stock values and earnings may bamboozle buyers (MarketWatch)
Christmas gift for someone you hate: Windows 8 (Philip Greenspun)
• Five takeaways from the Fox News-David Petraeus conspiracy (Erik Wemple) see also Is Fox Even Helping the Republicans Anymore? (Huffington Post)
NOAA: Arctic Suffered Record Ice Losses In 2012 (Talking Points Memo)
• Could Apple’s U.S. Manufacturing Make Sense? (Corporate Intelligence) see also Apple’s new factories (ASYMCO)
• Grover Norquist’s Dirty Little Secret (Bloomberg)
• Strange, Beautiful and Unexpected: Planned Cities Seen From Space (Wired)

What are you reading?

2012 YTD Country Returns

Source: Bespoke

Category: Financial Press

8 Responses to “10 Thursday PM Reads”

1. RW says:

Anyone with their wits about them knows the so-called Fiscal Cliff is political bullshit but, unfortunately, bullshit can be hard on a nation’s health both directly (witness the bullshit that led to the Iraq debacle) and indirectly because it distracts a nation from what actually matters.

Stuff that mattes like this (ht Counterparties)

The Infrastructure Cliff: Why the U.S. Desperately Needs a $2.5 Trillion Upgrade.

and this:

The Deterioration in the Unemployment-Vacancy Relationship is a Long-Term Unemployment Fact.
    [translation: the primary problem with unemployment in America is not structural -- not a matter of skills mismatch -- it is a problem of too many workers being out of work too long and losing both the social ties and the job skills needed to find gainful employment again]

This is the kind of stuff that happens in the real world when “starve the beast” becomes the mantra of a powerful claque and holding a national economy hostage to further that mantra is not punished by the stocks, bastinado and guillotine. There’s going to be a lot more stuff just like it unless that particular brand of bullshit is plowed into the compost heap of history.

2. VennData says:

GOP fires staffer that dares to challenge large, entrenched corporations control

Yeah, you love the small business person, don’t you GOP.

3. Theravadin says:

Re: the Philip Greenspun article on Windows 8> I read all the reviews, and many of them said the same sorts of things that Philip says, so I decided that I definitely wasn’t getting it. Then I started running into friends with it (heavy business computer users, but not techies, mostly)… and they loved it. If my completely unscientific “circle of friends” survey is in any way representative, it’s starting to look to me like the techy writers and bloggers have missed the boat on this one… and that it is going to fly, albeit probably with some moderately heavy updating. Either that, or my circle is the exception.

4. formerlawyer says:

Re: COTD
    Mauritius and Malta have stock markets. I never knew.

5. Seaton says:

“In other words, we are working a lot harder … but not seeing the rewards for it in our paychecks. Corporate America seems to be taking their Neil Young too literally. It’s better to burn out than fade away. My my, hey hey indeed.
    Bob Baur, chief global economist for Principal Global Investors in Des Moines, Iowa, noted that U.S. workers may be reaching the point where they are stretched too thin.”

I’ve had the experiences lately of a man and a woman sharing a bench in the hallway, awaiting. They cited just the same as the above. Forced overtime, no-pay-raise-again this year, costs of food (not quoted/accepted in the BLS inflation figures cited in the news), kids gotta have more clothing since they’re growing, I-hate-&-love-WalMart’s-cheap-prices, bosses are asshats, etc. I’m retired, thankfully, and not sure I can cope with having to put in 10-12 hour days anymore. Listening to their stories fall out at the end of a long day, and just frustrated beyond coherent verbal expression is dispiriting. Who else do people turn to when there is so much job & life stresses in their lives? This random old man on the bench? Hmm, difficult times we are a-living in.

6. VennData says:

In Talks on a Budget Deal, Boehner and Obama Negotiate Alone

How’s that for your homosexual agenda?

DeMint was right. The radicals have taken over. I HATE Obama and the RHINOs and everything that was ever thought of after 1955.

Get me the next one-way flight out of these God-forsaken cesspool of a nation. I stand with the Tea Party.

7. VennData says:

Apple’s plan for US manufacturing called a publicity stunt

VennData called for this exact publicity stunt, though he was ignorantly serious at the time. What a Fen-Phen of memes he is. Only the ignorantly serious would actually try to be a job creator rather than just appear to be one.

How’s that for your Tim Cook agenda? You go you Apple suckers. You’re so hip.