Bill Nye: Creationism Is Just Wrong!

CNN Saturday Morning, 11-24-2012

Category: Science, Video

9 Responses to “Bill Nye: The Earth Is 4.5 Billion Years Old”

1. wcvarones says:

So predictable. The MSM, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Democratic Party, jumps on every opportunity to mock religion. What a bunch of intolerant a-holes.

BR: Wholly owned? You have Fox News & CNBC on one side, MSNBC and the Village Voice on another side, and the rest of the media owned by corporate interests more concerned revenues & earnings than politics or democracy.

2. comet52 says:

Mr. Ritholz,

Your membership is now revoked!

Sincerely,

The Republican Party

3. econimonium says:

And this is a *rising* star of the Republicans? Really? Why doesn’t the general populace laugh this guy off the stage? Why are we even talking about this. Ask these ignorant Christians about how the GPS they use every day works. Then explain to them that it is a real life example of Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity at work because the time in the satellites is different from the time on the ground. Then explain to them how this makes the idea that the earth is 6000 years old preposterous. Watch them glaze over. You know, you’re free to believe in anything you want but I think Bill Nye is right: when you’re using tax dollars to push some idiot sect of Christianity it has to stop. And stop hard.

4. drtomaso says:

The fundamental role of a legislator or executive is to make rational decisions about the realities we face as a nation. How can someone do that effectively if they cannot even recognize the scientific reality that the earth is old?

The more educated of my republican friends (I’m a failed republican- I realized sometime ago it was possible to believe in small, effective government, non-failed economic models and science in general- it’s called being a Democrat) will counter that, “no, no, he doesn’t really believe this himself- he just has to say so to appease his base”. I’m not sure which is worse- someone who disbelieves the science because it creates cognitive dissonance with his religious up-bringing, or someone who knows its wrong, but tells the lie anyway because it’s politically advantageous to avoid tripping the cognitive dissonance of his base constituency.

In either way, it doesn’t really make one look presidential.

On a side note, this guy’s only important to the Republicans right now because their take away from the 2012 presidential election was that they have a PR issue with Hispanics. Its not that their immigration policies, education policies, and economic policies are (correctly) viewed as hostile by Hispanics- no, they just didn’t put the right face on their party. Next time they’ll try a browner one.

5. farfetched says:

Gotta go with the quote of the day…..

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” -Albert Einstein

6. Hey You says:

Wrong…. The earth is four and one half billion and 5 years old… I know this to be the the TRUTH as I read about the true age of the earth FIVE years ago…!!!!

7. drtomaso says:

“I know this to be the the TRUTH as I read about the true age of the earth FIVE years ago…!!!!”

It’s more fundamental than that- the scientific method isn’t just about writing it down, getting it peer-reviewed, and obtaining consensus among the scientific community. It is a frame work- a process by which we come to understand our world one discovery at a time. We use the words interchangeably- but ‘belief’ in science is far stronger than religious faith. There is an element of reproducibility in all of science- if I doubt a scientific claim, and I were so inclined, I can learn the field by reading the collected works of the scientists that came before, reproduce the same experiments, and obtain the same conclusions- and occassionaly, discover an anomaly that advances our understanding of the world.

That I choose not to do so is merely a product of the division of labor- others have decided to become biologists, my role is to help them invest their assets.

In religion, knowledge of the “truth” comes down to accepting one “holy book” or interpretation of same over another. None of the claims in religion are testable, verifiable, or reproducible. You simply accept, as a matter of faith, the doctrines of your faith.

8. franklin411 says:

It’s not just Bill Nye: the Catholic Church and the Pope say that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, and that the Universe was created 15 billion years ago in the Big Bang.

9. lunartop says:

I wonder how many of those that so clearly refute the scientific method and its results would continue to do so if they were refused science based medical treatment.