GOP At Root Of Dysfunction, Congressional Scholars Say : NPR

Source: Extremism In Congress: ‘Even Worse Than It Looks’?

Category: Politics, Video

6 Responses to “Extremism In Congress: ‘Even Worse Than It Looks’”

1. Moss says:

Will the GOP acknowledge this? Highly doubtful since the black man got four more years.

2. rodgerleanne says:

Once again, the leftist, Moss, turns it into a race issue. Is that the sum of your knowledge?

The Republicans in the house are not the extreme. They are the ones trying to steer the nation back onto its Constitutional course for the Republic. The so called middle ground or so called problem solving mode has been going on for years and has run the nation off the rails into the socialist swamp. Bush was a big part of the problem and the new Republicans in the House are fighting to restore fiscal sanity.

I mean, how can Thomas Mann defend an administration that hasn’t even passed a budget for how many years? Is THAT the middle ground that Mann wants to House to accomodate. The more I hear of sages like Mann, the more I think the nation is being run by academic loons in defiance of reality.

3. jbegan says:

rodgerleanne ..Odd how those that don’t like another person’s opinion seem to devolve into name calling as if that will ‘make people see the light’…. leftists, libtards, socialists, commies… Jesus Christ. Save me from people like this. As to the Republicans ‘fighting to resolve the problem’…Really? Tax breaks for the wealthy and profitable corporations while cutting payments to retirees and the poor…Yeah…That’s a real fix all right. Does Romney really need another $100,000 equine tax deduction…or another car elevator? Does his offshore tax shelter benefit anyone in the US aside from Romney? Do you really think retirees and the poor don’t spend every penny they earn? Which of the two groups is likely to keep cash in circulation? The Romneys or the less well to do? ….BTW..I;ve voted GOP since Nixon and changed parties in Bush Jr’s 2nd term. I’m hardly a commie pinko libtard. I’d like to consider myself a realist.

4. victor says:

Milton Friedman: I am in favor of cutting taxes under any circumstances and for any excuse, for any reason, whenever it’s possible. The reason I am is because I believe the big problem is not taxes, the big problem is spending. The question is, “How do you hold down government spending?” Government spending now amounts to close to 40% of national income not counting indirect spending through regulation and the like. If you include that, you get up to roughly half. The real danger we face is that number will creep up and up and up. The only effective way I think to hold it down, is to hold down the amount of income the government has. The way to do that is to cut taxes.

BR: There are lots of ways to look at taxes — relative to GDP, net take home pay, brackets/rates, comparatively versus other nations. By just about every measure, our Federal tax burden is at its lowest levels in half a century.

5. drtomaso says:

As a fellow former republican (I used to rush home from high school to watch Rush Limbaugh’s show on TV, so my conservative cred is unimpeachable), I really do not feel that I have abandoned the party- it left me when it went off the tracks and started rocketing down the mountain to Crazytown.

I’m saddened that our nation has to spend valuable time and resources combating a bunch of know-nothing anti-intellectual thugs who in the name of a strict interpretation of the constitution, would roll us back to the ’50s: the 1850s. I’m saddened that in this modern day, when we should be concentrating on educating our workforce to be the envy of the world, we really do have to explain, in very small words, that Evolution isn’t just a theory, and that ‘theory’ in science doesn’t just mean ‘guess’. It pains me that after the grand experiments of the 1980s, and the counterexamples of the 1990s, and the ongoing living example of the horror show of what happens to economies when you impose austerity that is Europe, we still have to debate whether or not deficits are a “crisis”, whether or not trickle down economics actually works or is just happy-talk.

Anyone who thinks the house republicans are valiantly trying to right the Constitutional ship has probably read even less of the Constitution than the house republicans, or at least understands very little of it. This is really where the Republicans have chosen to draw their line in the sand? Taxing the upper 2%? Really?

I wan’t to see Obama grow a pair over this fiscal cliff/coming debt ceiling. “You want spending cuts? You got it- every red-state military base and defense project is now on the chopping block. Take that back to your constituents.”

I do agree on one thing- the “so called middle ground” is a huge problem. When you have two parties, and one is clearly not living in reality, and the other (while not being perfect by any stretch don’t get me wrong) is, the middle ground is still half fantasy.

6. victor says:

I yet have to see a credible strategy to grow our economy from either side. I choose my words carefully, a “plan” would be reminiscent of the famous Five Year Plans in the ex USSR, we all know how those ended. Give me (sic!) a 5% plus GDP real growth for the next ten years and many of these “conversations”: deficits, taxes, austerity, Keynes vs Austrians, national debt, spending, etc would take second stage.

For all those here decrying the backward GOP just go to Gallup’s web site and see for yourselves who many of them represent; start here:

The “offending” HR rep’s thus represent by and large their constituencies and lamenting about how obstructionist they are is pure vanity when the real problem is LEADERSHIP in DC. ‘Got to work with what you have. Al Gore recently criticized BO about lack of progress on GW saying something like “it’s not enough to just say the the Congress doesn’t want to do it”. On the other hand, please study the far left’s continuous petty grievances that must drive our POTUS nuts, Keystone X pipeline comes to mind, not to mention other political capital destroyers such as Gitmo.