- The Big Picture - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog -
Discuss: Barack Obama is a Liberal Republican
Posted By Barry Ritholtz On January 3, 2013 @ 7:00 pm In Current Affairs,Philosophy,Politics | Comments Disabled
I have been having fun mocking friends and family on both sides of the political aisle. GOP colleagues who keep telling me BHO is a Socialist, while Dems think he is the next JFK.
I enjoy disabusing them of their political biases by explaining to them Barack Obama’s actual politics.
Politically, he is a modern day Richard Nixon. I don’t mean the Watergate, thing, I mean his budgets, policies and relations with the two parties.
Sure, he is Pro-Choice, and is also pro Gay Marriage rights. But look at his actual track record:
• He extended Bush TARP;
• Like W, he refused to prosecute banks;
• He made 98% of the Bush cuts permanent;
• When Unions were under attack by various GOP governors, he mostly stayed silent.
• Oh, and he forced GM into prepackaged bankruptcy;
• His healthcare plan was a national version of RomneyCare, created by a conservative GOP ThinkTank;
• He continues to engage in a long distance war that he promised to end
• He was willing to throw Social Security under the bus at a moment’s notice
• His stimulus plan consisted mostly of temporary tax cuts and unemployment benefit extensions, not true Keynesian stimulus (infrastructure, defense, etc.)
• He keeps trying desperately to cut a deal with GOP members
I am not saying any of these things are good or bad — its merely an observation.
But its hard to avoid recognizing that all of these major policies are much more GOP-like than Democrat-like things
Article printed from The Big Picture: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog
URL to article: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/01/discuss-barack-obama-is-a-liberal-republican/
Copyright © 2008 The Big Picture. All rights reserved.