Flying home today, I recalled something someone sent me — a list of the funniest comedies of all time, with the number 1 flick . . . Caddyshack.

Now, for those of you not of a certain age, who may not have seen Caddyshack, it is an amusing little film filmed with memorable quotes and an insane, hilarious performance by Bill Murray. But funniest movie comedy of all time? It’s not even in the top 10.

Which raises an interesting question: What are the all time funniest films?

No rules (like last time) — the only requirements: 1) Funny and 2) Movie.

I’ll get you started with a list that I am sure I rearrange easily into other orders:

50. Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure

10. Duck Soup
9. South Park:  Bigger, Longer and Uncut. Freed
8. Tootsie
7. The Princess Bride
6. Blazing Saddles
5. Some Like It Hot
4. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
3. The Lady Eve
2. Annie Hall
1. Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Note that most of these, especially the top 20, have lots of heart.

What did I miss?

Category: Film, Humor

161 Responses to “Greatest Movie Comedies of All Time”

1. ukarlewitz says:

Watch “Death at a Funeral”. British, not even on this list. It’s great. Promise.

2. streeteye says:

YMMV, but a few off the top of my head

The Apartment

3. jnkowens says:

Honeymoon in Vegas
    Dumb and Dumber
    48 hours
    Beavis and Butthead Do America

4. Jbones2 says:

Spaceballs has to be on the list

5. Larry W says:

Porky’s. Some of the memorable scenes from IMBD.
    Principles office.
    Balbricker: Now, Mr. Carter. I know this is completely unorthodox. But I think this is the only way to find that boy. Now that penis had a mole on it – I’d recognize that penis anywhere. In spite of the juvenile snickers of some, this is a serious matter. That seducer and despoiler must be stopped; he’s extremely dangerous. And, Mr. Carter, I’m certain that everyone in this room knows who that is. He’s a contemptible little pervert who…
    Mr. Carter: Miss Balbricker!
    Balbricker: Well, I’m sorry, but I’ve got him now, and I’m not going to let him slip through my fingers again. Now, all I’m asking is that you give me five boys for a few minutes. The coaches can be present – Tommy Turner and any four boys you see fit to choose and we… and we… can put a stop to this menace. And it is a menace.
    [pause]
    Balbricker: Well, what are you gonna do about it?
    Mr. Carter: Five young boys in the nude, a police line-up so that you can identify his tallywhacker. Please, please can we call it a “tallywhacker”? Penis is so ppp… penis is so personal.
    Balbricker: We can put hoods over their heads to avoid embarrassment. Now listen: we have got to do it, as distasteful as it is. I know it’s him. That
    [pause]
    Balbricker: tallywhacker had a mole on it. And that mole is the key to it.
    Mr. Carter: Miss Balbricker, do you realize the difficulty of your request? Now, I would be very happy to, uh, to apprehend the young man myself. But can you imagine what the board of education would say if you were granted a line-up in order to examine their private pa… their private parts for an incriminating mole?
    Balbricker: But Mr. Carter.
    Coach Brakett: Mr. Carter, I think I have a way out of this. We, uh, call the police, and we have ‘em send over one of their sketch artists. And Miss Balbricker can give a description. We can put up “Wanted” posters all over school… “Have you seen this prick? Report immediately to Beulah Balbricker. Do not attempt to apprehend this prick, as it is armed and dangerous. It was last seen hanging out in the girls’ locker room at Angel Beach High School.”

Sorry its so long, but its gold

6. GrafSchweik says:

Arsenic and Old Lace should be there too.

7. woodyc says:

some are more comedy-dramas. A suitable list for
    comedies might be (in no order), those that leave you aching from laughing:
    Blazing Saddles
    Young Frankenstein
    Bringing Up Baby (an old classic)
    Airplane!
    Naked Gun
    It’s a Mad, Mad, etc. World
    Animal House
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail (some parts)

Left off some of the others named, but they are more
    comedy-dramas:
    Princess Bride, for instance
    Groundhog Day, too
    Woodyc

8. gloeschi says:

What about “What About Bob”???

BR: Good one!

9. mornel@sbcglobal.net says:

Some Like it Hot, Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Should be there

BR: Its #5

10. mornel@sbcglobal.net says:

Some Like it Hot, Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis, Should be there

11. MidlifeNocrisis says:

As I’ve gotten older, for some reason I don’t seem to appreciate movie comedy as much as I used to. Not much really seems to be that funny anymore. (although live interaction with some people can be a riot!)

That said, I remember when I was younger I really liked Blazing Saddles due to the social/race references, Animal House because John Belushi was hilarious in both the movie and on SNL, and Monty Python because it was just so comically weird. Sense of humor is an extremely personal phenomenon.

12. thatguydrinksbeer says:

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

13. loopenark1 says:

A Day at the Races
    Sleeper
    Bananas (Really any Woody Allen film before 1980)
    Almost Famous
    Being John Malcovitch
    Bulworth
    City Slickers
    Heathers
    Midnight Run
    Roman Holiday
    Something Wild
    Big!
    Wag the Dog

Could replace some of the ones you’ve listed. I recently watched Princess Bride and while it’s a good movie, it doesn’t hold up as that funny.

BR: Midnight Run is fantastic!

14. Top 50?

don’t forget “Old School”, of, fairly, recent vintage..

(for my Own sense of Self.. hard to believe it’s fixin’ to be 10 Years Ago..)

15. jmay says:

Notable omissions:

National Lampoon’s Vacation (which I woud rank in the top 20)
    Team America: World Police
    Real Genius
    Beverly Hills Cop

I assume we aren’t counting stand up concert movies like Bill Cosby: Himself, Eddie Murphy: Delirious or Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip.

I will also tell you that for the young folk (under 25) Superbad and Clueless are considered all time greats.

BR: Beverly Hills Cop is #23

16. E says:

Anchorman is top ten.

And related – Ackman v. Icahn is top 30.

17. delilo says:

Fletch
    Coming to America
    Happy Gilmore

18. am2 says:

Hard to come up with original contributions, but I’ll toss in Coming To America, Idiocracy, Clerks, and Super Troopers.

19. Joe Friday says:

MR BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAMHOUSE (1948) – Cary Grant & Myrna Loy

THE PINK PANTHER (1963) – Peter Sellers
    THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER (1975) – Peter Sellers
    THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN (1976) – Peter Sellers
    REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER (1978) – Peter Sellers

SOMETHING WILD (1986) – Melanie Griffith & Jeff Daniels

BLAME IT ON RIO (1984) – Michael Caine & Demi Moore

BR: How could I have left out THE PINK PANTHER ?

20. beaufou says:

If you ever come across those two, watch them.

La grande vadrouille
    Intouchables

21. dbrodess says:

Fletch,
    Being There, and
    all of the Pink Panther movies

22. dalemac says:

Stripes

23. tippet523 says:

TED!!!!!

24. Petey Wheatstraw says:

The Big Lebowski (and other Cohen Bros. comedies)

His Girl Friday (Cary Grant/Rosalind Russell). Especially Grant’s line: “That’s what Archie Leach (Grant’s real name) said, just before he killed himself.”

Something About Mary

I could post others, but I have a deadline looming.

BR: His Girl Friday! How did I forget that. (Others are on the list)

25. R. Timm says:

I agree with Mark Hoffer- Old School is one of the best semi-recent comedies.

You are missing all the animated ones that have some great writing and can be enjoyed at different levels by adults and kids alike:

Shrek 1
    Toy Story 3

Tom Hanks is hilarious in Big, as well as Forrest Gump although thats technically a drama.

Also I think Eddie Murphy’s best is: The Distinguished Gentleman (funnier than nutty professor in my opinion)

BR: The Nutty Professor refers of course to the Jerry Lewis version.

26. DSS10 says:

I would have to say that #1 should be replaced with “The Meaning of Life”……….

and perhaps the best business movie ever made: “The Crimson Permanent Assurance!”

27. am2 says:

Amazon Women on the Moon

29. monica40 says:

Léolo

The Big Lebowski

Arsenic and Old Lace

National Lampoon Christmas Vacation
    (every time the wife turns on the microwave I piss my pants and forget who I am for 15 minutes … Maybe not verbatim but funny as hell!)

30. RW says:

Some Like It Hot
    Duck Soup
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Airplane!
    Dr. Strangelove
    Blazing Saddles
    The Odd Couple – Lemmon/Matthau
    Annie Hall
    The Producers – Zero Mostel et al
    Young Frankenstein

31. spooz says:

Caddy Shack

32. ape_girl says:

Great lists from all, my additions to the original would include:

Happy Gilmore
    Kingpin (I laugh just thinking about it!!)
    Beetle Juice
    Office Space
    Bad Santa
    Clerks
    Roxanne
    Toy Story…..

33. jeff0601 says:

I’d have to put Being There in my Top 5 and my #1 is your 34. Strangelove is a total outrage because of what you’re laughing at. It feels wrong, but laughter erupts out of me, anyway. Great performances from Peter Sellers, Sterling Hayden, Slim Pickens… And nobody thinks of George C. Scott as a comedic actor, but he is a flat-out scream every time he’s on camera.
    Also, you cannot go wrong with anything by Preston Sturges.

34. moruobai says:

Hey, Lama!! How about a little something, you know, for the effort.

Oh, there won’t be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.

So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.

35. jeff0601 says:

OK, one more… Harvey.

36. motown says:

Murmur of the Heart.

37. spooz says:

Oh, and I wouldn’t place Caddyshack at #1, but it would be in my top ten.

Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight, all at their best, imo.
    Chevy Chase, meh.

38. DiggidyDan says:

Notable Omissions, some of which others also mentioned:
    Spaceballs
    Office Space
    The Blues Brothers
    Beetlejuice
    Dumb & Dumber
    Up in Smoke
    Three Amigos
    Tommy Boy
    Anchorman
    Austin Powers
    Tropic Thunder

. . . This should drive some more traffic, comedy is even more subjective than Rock Music!

BR: Beetlejuice is another fantastic movie

39. Concerned Neighbour says:

Zoolander
    Shallow Hal
    Dumb and Dumber
    2014: DOW 36K

I understand the last one is in production right now…

40. jcallip says:

I always liked Murder by Death, and Clue for that matter. I’d include Office Space too.

41. DiggidyDan says:

Also, Coming to America, and the Odd Couple, reading others posts

42. nofoulsontheplayground says:

Some that may have been missed:

Superbad
    Knocked Up (The beard jokes are worth the price of admission)

Take the Money and Run
    A Christmas Story
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Wayne’s World
    Tropic Thunder

There’s usually about one good comedy released to the masses each year.

BR: A Christmas Story is fabulous — and Knocked Up certainly is a good candidate

43. barbacoa666 says:

One that I haven’t seen mentioned is, “After Hours.”

44. fedwatcher says:

The 12 Chairs

45. haggis says:

In the interest of proving that the 50′s & 60′s were great:

THE PARTY (1968) – Peter Sellers
    A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM (1966) – Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, Michael Crawford
    AFTER THE FOX (1966) – Peter Sellers

Any EALING COMEDY starring Alec Guiness: LAVENDER HILL MOB, KIND HEARTS & CORONETS, THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUITE, LADY KILLERS, WHISKEY GALORE

Cheers

46. grfjenks says:

revision: Top 100

47. EMichael says:

Great movies listed, but everyone should try and watch ” A Slight Case of Murder” with Edward G. Robinson.

It is incredible with a couple of lines that should make it mandatory for any Top comedy list.

48. JeffO says:

I created an online poll where you can rank Barry’s choices for the Greatest Movie Comedies of all Time. You can try it here:

This poll uses instant runoff voting, so if your top choice doesn’t win, your vote gets transferred to your second choice and so forth. Results are updated once per hour.

This makes it a lot easier to get people’s views than tallying comments!

49. Lord says:

Peter Sellers – Pink Panther, Being There

50. be the ball says:

Fletch

Office Space

Caddyshack

Bad Santa

51. nicholasteague says:

A few favorites in no particular order:

Weekend at Bernie’s
    Mallrats
    Wedding Crashers
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Meet the Parents
    Anchorman
    Austin Powers
    Happy Gillmore
    Black Sheep

52. J Kraus says:

I will second The Party; a hilarious sixties classic, as well as another from that decade, Under the Yum Yum Tree with Jack Lemmon (1963).

The director of The Party; Blake Edwards (Pink Panther), released a great comedy in 1981, S.O.B. which was badly marketed and is well under the radar.

Finally, a recent French release, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (2006). This is an extremely funny send-up of 1960s spy films with the lead role played by actor Jean Dujadin, who took home the Best Actor Oscar for The Artist in 2011. It is available from Netflix.

53. Lord says:

Too bad Marty Feldman didn’t do more. I’ll second
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. It is based on Plautus so it has a really long history.

54. ape_girl says:

….Quick Change…….

55. milkman says:

How about Sideways? Animal House has got to be in the top 10….

56. monica40 says:

1941

57. czyz99 says:

I liked the old Steve Martin. What about the Lonely Guy? The only time Charles Grodin was funny. But you have to be a lonely guy or gal to understand. I got my sister to watch it and she hated it, but she watched again after she broke up with her boyfriend, and raved about how good it was. Others I like are The Man with Two Brains with a smokin’ hot Kathleen Turner ‘I saw you out on the lake today kissing your brain’, and Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid with Rachel Ward ‘I haven’t seen a body like that since I solved the mystery of the missing girl with the big tits’. But alas noone else likes them. And the Jerk ‘I was born a poor black child’.

58. Joe_in_Indiana says:

Smokey and the Bandit–especially the outtakes with Dom DeLuise!!

59. Joe_in_Indiana says:

Sorry-I meant Cannonball Run

60. Oren Jodphur says:

How can Tootsie be #8 while Mrs Doubtfire isn’t anywhere on the list?

Both are magnificent films, but as far as comedy goes, I think Robin
    Williams is even funnier than Dustin Hoffman.

Also missing: the French farce, Tall Blonde Man with one Black Shoe

61. hue says:

Ted: “Bill, Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K” http://bit.ly/10MwlI9

Chasing Amy, Dogma

Caddyshack, Fletch, Trading Places & Raising Arizona are cult classics from the ’80s

62. richf says:

How about “The Solid Gold Cadillac?”

63. formerlawyer says:

Blues Brothers – music, car crashes, country and western music, nazi’s – nobody dies!
    Smokey & the Bandit – music, car crashes
    Airplane
    Naked Gun(s)
    Catch 22 (in a sick way)
    Bob Hope & Bing Crosby Road to ? Movies
    Animal House

Never liked Borat movies – felt he was asking us to laugh at real people
    Judd Apatow movies I don’t get

64. Ryan says:

The Wedding Banquet

65. GoBigRed says:

The only one I think you left out that hasen’t been mentioned in the comments is Fast Break

66. couchsurfer says:

Two British classics

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Withnail&I

67. GZR says:

For the older crowd

Captains Paradise–Alec Guiness

School for Scoundrels–Terry-Thomas

The Mouse that Roared–Peter Sellers

68. formerlawyer says:

Mel Brooks oeuvre Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein
    The Jerk (I was raised a poor black child.)
    His Girl Friday
    Bring up Baby
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Hot Fuzz
    Strange Brew
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Dr. Strangelove
    The Mouse that Roared
    Slap Shot
    The Gods Must Be Crazy
    Local Hero

Really old:
    The Kid (w/Charlie Chaplin)
    The General (w/Buster Keaton)
    Duck Soup (The Marx Brothers)

69. GeorgeBurnsWasRight says:

The President’s Analyst
    Galaxy Quest
    Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (the 1982 British version, not the American one)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (1-3; I find #2 the funniest)
    Hairspray
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    Roger Rabbit
    The Whole 9 Yards
    Mystery Men

70. MikeInSF says:

Harold and Maude and Shaun of the Dead both rank in the top 50. Dazed and Confused ranks up there – Hollywood Shuffle is worth a mention, too.

71. Barney says:

Uncle Buck
    Bad Santa

72. The Little Shop of Horrors! How did I omit that?

And The Absent-Minded Professor was hilarious !

73. AnnaLee says:

The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe (French)

74. matt wilbert says:

Seconding a few mentions from earlier comments that weren’t on your list.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum — many, many funny scenes, great cast.
    Galaxy Quest — a pretty funny idea, quite well executed.
    The President’s Analyst — kind of a period piece, but comedy with a hyperbolic message
    Princess Bride — good story, consistently funny throughout

BR: Galaxy Quest is brilliantly hilarious — I left that out, and Men in Black

75. GoBigRed says:

Going way back (especially if Barry thinks Caddyshack is going back too far!) I would have to include Buck Privates. Abbott and Costello’s famous moive that was nominated for two Academy Awards that helped make the Andrews Sisters famous and – according to Wikipedia, as I was not around when it came out – the Japanese actually used the film as propoganda for showing their people the incompetence of the US military during WWII.

76. JoseOle says:

Idiocracy
    Elf
    NL’s Vacation
    Team America

77. JoseOle says:

Only one Woody Allen in your top 50?

BR: Should have included Sleeper as well

78. JoseOle says:

On second thought, his movies are all kind of the same.

79. The title of the post refers to “greatest comedies,” but in the text you ask for the funniest movies. I don’t know if most people would define them the same way, and I’m pretty sure most critics wouldn’t. Most of the top ten are very good movies that are also very funny, but I don’t think they’re the funniest movies of all time. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen any of Woody Allen’s “early, funny” movies, but I seem to remember at least a couple producing more laughs than Annie Hall, even if none had a scene as good as the Marshall Mcluhan scene.

Some that I don’t think were on the list, but might be in the comments:

The Gold Rush, Modern Times, The Great Dictator at least one)
    Bedazzled (the original)
    The Gods must be crazy
    La Cage Aux Folles — I think the French original got a pretty wide release in America
    The Loved One
    The Man with two brains

Not sure about the last one. I remember laughing a lot, but it might have been the alcohol.

80. ckg says:

I have to second AnnaLee’s nomination of The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe —
    “Vladmir Cosma’s infectiously enjoyable theme tune with Gheorghe Zamfir on the pan pipes” –the pan pipe music will conjure the film again and you’ll whistle it without thinking!

Good choices from Haggis — the Alec Guinness underplayed classics especially.
    Thank you all – I have some new titles to seek out !

81. Richard W. Kline says:

The list as given is a) VERY American, b) very recent, c) of broad comedy in the main, and d) of much hyped films which tends to inflate their credibility and standing. Sure, most folks laughed—but are the films really good on an historical standard, to say nothing of the comedy involved? Many seriously excellent comedies either are NOT widely seen or hyped, or are from long ago and neglected. Then there are always films one hasn’t seen personally, so comparisons suffer, such as _The Lady Eve_, _South Park_, or _Borat_ in my case.

Comedy is so personal, it’s hard to rank a list and have the differences mean anything to another person. I kove the Pythons, and I know an entire generation who quote reams of the film script, but to me it was seriously flat and waaay off their best work of ten years before. Several other famous titles on that list just didn’t work for me. And then several of the films, as mentioned above are really dramedies. Yes, there are laughs, but there is a love story or a worldview which is really as or more important than the send-up. I”d split _The Princess Bride_, _Annie Hall_, Dr. Strangelove_, _Groundhog Day_, and a number of others off into that category, for instance.

That said, I’ll offer a tiered list of comedies, each arranged (mostly) chronologically, and a slate of dramedies.

My ‘I Never Laughed Harder’ films:

The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp
    Singin’ in the Rain
    Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    Seduced and Abandoned
    Weekend (Goddard’s film)
    O Lucky Man!
    Stranger Than Paradise (to me, it’s a comedy)
    Shallow Grave (to me, it’s a comedy)
    Once (a comedy in the sense that life is a comedy if one just lives it)
    Thirst (the best horror-comedy I’ve seen, hands down)

I would recommend that anyone see the list of dramedies _first_ as they are all excellent films, and they put the yuck-it-up type movies on notice that they’d better have some material behind the jokes to make the grade. And yes, there do seem fewer really great comedies in the last 20 years when I look at the dates. It doesn’t feel like that, but when I do the countback that’s the way it shows.

82. czyz99 says:

Richard

Completely forgot about O Lucky Man with a young Helen Mirren and Malcolm McDowell. Haven’t watched that in awhile. And Strangelove ‘Mein Fuhrer..I mean Mr. President’ and the Slim Pickens bomb ride. So many great scenes. Thanks for the memory jog.

83. kangarouge says:

In Bruges
    The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer
    After the Fox

84. Richard W. Kline says:

So czyz99, O Lucky Man! is a one of the greatest films I’ve ever seen. I do watch a lot of film, and have a number of decades of experience. I keep a list of Notable Films, with the top ones ranked to my personal taste. _Strangelove_, _O Lucky Man!_, _Colonel Blimp_, _His Girl Friday_, and _Barbarella_ are all in that top 75, out of thousands of films seen.

_Sita Sings the Blues_ is by far the funniest film I’ve seen in the last ten years—and Nina Paley, the sole director-animator who made it on a laptop couldn’t even get a distribution deal! It has NEVER had a public release. I saw it at a film festival, but you’ll have to get it on video; what a crime. Moonrise Kingdom was the funniest film I saw this calendar year, but it’s not of this level.

85. deepakshenoy says:

Space Balls
    History of the World Part 1

But those are of a different era…

86. momolemming says:

If you like stuff which is hilarious in a subtle way, try Jarmusch flicks:

Dead Man

Night on Earth

Mystery Train

87. CincyDave says:

- His Girl Friday(1940)
    - Mr. Hulot’s Holiday (1953)
    - The Ladykillers (1955)
    - Bedazzled (1967)
    - Morgan! (1966)
    - Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (2005)
    - The Aristocrats (2005)

88. harryhope says:

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Nadine
    The Lavender Hill Mob
    Sleeper

89. Greg0658 says:

funny this thread pop’d up
    was surfing today – “Robin Hood: Men in Tights” was a hang10
    caught* the toll bridge over the rainstorm gullet stick fight scene
    LOL campy “I cant swim” LOL
    it has got to be totally a comedy

a number of listings up there I wouldn’t put in comedy cat
    just because there’s a laugh or 2**
    like Pop genre is RockNroll
    ok bad analogy

my list – was think’g along the lines of actors or directors to proper cat a movie

Mel Brooks Spaceballs Blazing Saddles
    now I see @imdb that ^ Robinhood :-)

Caddy Shack (groundhog burrows), Dumb&Dumbmer (IOUs), The Mask (smokin), Planes Trains & Automobiles (car fire luggage), The Toy (collection plate golf cart chase)**, 9to5 (coffee sweetner), Airplane 1&2 (?just) , Peewees Big Adventure (that laugh)

* didn’t stay after 10 – I’m stuck on realTV – cableNews & CashTV – glutton for real & present danger – ohhummmmm

90. Greg0658 says:

Fargo (?wtf) wood chippers to duck stamps (I guess)

(I see missed some folks) ChevyC, A.Sandler, JackSparrow, Belushi’s
    anyway goodnite goodmorning

91. wesh says:

“Soapdish” should be in there too

92. MikeNY says:

I realize it’s an anglophone list, but damm — Almodovar should have a couple on it anyway.

“Women on the Verge” is the funniest movie I have ever seen.

93. Bruce Bartlett says:

Night at the Opera should be no 1

94. More from before 1960:

The Bank Dick, Casanovas Big Night, The Gold Rush, The Court Jester, Road to Singapore, The Importance of Being Earnest, Monkey Business, The Seven Year Itch, Houseboat

The Sin of Harold Diddlebock
    Adam’s Rib
    Kind Hearts and Coronets
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
    Hook, Line and Sinker
    My Man Godfrey

95. Covertibility says:

Stir Crazy is not even mentioned! Unbelievable!

You can all go [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2qzDcYl-k]Kiss the baby[/url]

96. Orange14 says:

Both The Odd Couple and The Fortune Cookie with Lemmon & Matthau
    Adventures in Baby Sitting if only for Elizabeth Shue singing the Babysitter Blues
    Sixteen Candles which is slightly better than Ferris Bueller among John Hughes movies
    Pretty Woman if only to see George Costanza get cold-cocked by Edward Lewis

97. Richard W. Kline says:

As a further note, I didn’t even mention any of the comedies of Jacques Tati or Pierre Etaix, largely because the only one I’ve seen is _Mr. Hulot’s Holiday_, which CincyDave caught and which would be on any best of the best list. And yes to _Miracle at Morgan’s Creek_, the best comedy about a gang bang you’ll ever see! (how’d they get that by the censors?) which I definetely prefer to _Sullivan’s Travels_. _Miracle_ was 40s comedy at its most purlescent. _The Gold Rush_ is an outstanding film, and a milestone in cinema history also. And mentioning Walter Matthau, his best film in my view, a wicked black comedy melding into dramedy which might be better than _The Odd Couple_ if hardly rememberd, is _A New Leaf_. If you’ve never seen it, you’ll want to.

98. shrink2 says:

King of Hearts

surely in the top 50

99. Richard W. Kline says:

On Almodavar, I don’t reall see _Matador_ as a comedy—but many would, and I prefer it to his other early films. An unforgettable premise: two serial killers fall passionately in love when made aware of each other by the false confession of a closet case to their crimes. Assumpta Serna cannot be forgotten once seen there. I see Almodavar as working on social commentary through laughter really, though.