I have been meaning to get to this since last month, but a recent purchase reminded me of Amazon Autorip.

If you have ordered nearly any CD from Amazon — as far back as 1998 — then you should have access to digital versions of the songs in your Amazon cloud player. I was surprised to learn my Amazon cloudplayer has 2,224 songs off of 181 albums from 269 artists.

Here’s what Amazon emails after your purchase:

“The CD you purchased is AutoRip eligible. This means that the MP3 version of the album is now available for you to play or download from Amazon Cloud Player for FREE.

When you buy any CD with the AutoRip logo, you’ll instantly get the MP3 version of that album delivered to your Cloud Player library for FREE. You can listen to your album everywhere, including on any Android phone, iPhone, iPod touch, Kindle Fire and other devices.”

The claim is over 50,000 albums  are eligible.

I grabbed a disc to give to someone (Windham Hill 25 Years of Guitar: Touch)  and lo and behold, it was available instantly in my Amazon cloud player. Free online versions of ripped MP3s ready to stream and all I did was buy a disc. My office’s bandwidth is spotty– web videos play poorly — but the audio from Amazon’s cloud was clean and played flawlessly. Color me impressed.

Does AutoRip put Amazon into competition with Apple? Indirectly, yes. Amazon provides those of us who want a physical copy of a disc with they atoms but recognizes the futures is bits and bytes — so they give that to us as well. Stream or download or both. Nice.

As long as they are going after Apple, they might as well do the same with DVDs — give me a digital web version as well – and they can after Netflix.

Its one thing to go after a small under funded start up — Let’s see if any of the labels end up suing the web retailing giant.

Category: Digital Media, Music, Web/Tech

13 Responses to “Amazon’s AutoRip”

1. cswake says:

This article already addressed this issue when AutoRip launched, with recognition for the original idea:

“In a Friday interview with Ars Technica, Robertson told us that the major labels’ decision to license AutoRip represents a sea change in their attitudes toward cloud music services. Until the last couple of years, the labels were relentlessly hostile to the idea that consumers should have the freedom to store DRM-free music online. But a series of business failures and legal defeats forced the labels to face reality. And so fourteen years after Robertson first floated the concept, consumers finally have the freedom to instantly get an MP3 when they buy a CD online.”

2. teraflop says:

I liked the sound of it (intended pun) but was irked ‘zon didn’t promise to rip *every* song, some criteria held them back. However, I’ll definitely use it.

3. barbacoa666 says:

I only care about the MP3. However, the Autorip CD is sometimes cheaper than the MP3 alone. So you can save a couple of bucks here and there by checking the price difference.

4. jaymaster says:

Wow, that’s a nice service! I just checked, and I’ve got about 30 CD’s worth waiting for me. I had no clue.

I’m a huge Amazon/Bezos fan, and I’m long AMZN with about 3% of my portfolio. And I buy stuff from them probably every other day of the week.

But I have to ask, how the hell did I miss this benefit, and only learn about it at TBP????? Looks like a marketing fail….

And yes, if they can migrate this to video, it will be even more awesome. That plays into my sandbox, as the bandwidth requirements will grow exponentially. It will probably be possible in a couple years, but the pipes need to get bigger (and I’ll invest accordingly).

5. Pantmaker says:

Wha…? I already buy the majority of my digital music from Amazon and have been doing so for quite a while (could never figure out iTunes)…but I just checked my new Patty Loveless Mountain Soul II CD purchase…and bingo AUTORIPP baby! Talk about a well kept secret. Slick idea.

6. Chad says:

Wow. How did I not know this? I’m a big enough Amazon user to easily get value from Prime and they never told me this was available. Just more reasons for me to like Amazon. It’s not really Apple vs. Samsung. It’s really Apple vs. Google vs. Amazon. Samsung is just an IBM, Sony, HP, Dell, etc waiting to become irrelevant when phone hardware, like PC hardware already has, becomes a commodity.

7. Mike.R says:

The last physical DVD that I purchased was a Christmas present for my Grandpa 2 years ago. Grandpa has a kindle now so I’m unlikely to do that again. I have a hundred or two DVDs in a box in my basement. Considering I can rent them from Amazon Instant or Google Play for $1.99-3.99 – the opportunity cost of digging one out and dusting it off puts me at under minimum wage. Unlike book vs. ebook, there is absolutely no difference between a DVD/CD and stream. So for how much longer will we really need DVD/CD atoms?

8. normal1 says:

Barry, I had to log in just so I could express my thanks for making me aware of this feature. I’ve since spread the word to others, and so far, no one I’ve talked to has heard of this either.

Hell, if I logged on every time I was grateful for your site…..

By the way, amazon should throw you a bone for your marketing work on their behalf!

9. arcticpup says:

Amazon continues to amazes me at changing the retail frontier, it’s like the Walmart of the net, bringing lower prices to the masses. So while, I don’t specifically know Amazon’s strategic plan, but given the way Amazon has lowered the price of ebooks by disrupting the publishing industry… it’s no surprise that Amazon is going to disrupt the music business by perhaps cutting out the label business, where artists in the future will sell their music directly to consumers without having to have a label or a promoter.

10. cdub says:

Buying music from Amazon is the best for these reasons:
    1. MP3′s can be downloaded to multiple devices, so no hassle having new music on my phone and laptop and wife’s desktop.
    2. Can backup and move the files amongst PCs without any hassle.
    3. Can integrate with iTunes or Windows Media Player automagically. I am trying to eliminate iTunes from my tech world, but many people still use it.
    4. Cloud
    5. AutoRip — the gift you give yourself! I regularly give CDs at holidays and was pleased to see many of those gifts come back to me with AutoRip. Instant karma.
    6. Prices are fair.

One more thing, however: the BEST music deal & experience is Spotify or RDIO. Have access anywhere to basically all the music ever made, and use the social elements for new music discovery. Fantastic.

11. normal1 says:

I would like to add that any encounter I have with Amazon comes with a regard for the elephant in the room, aka, their tax advantage over just about everyone else. It’s becoming more and more apparent that the new economy is following in the footsteps of the old one in regards to taxes. New boss same as the old boss.

BR: I thought that tax advantage has changed?

12. Bonddad says:

I had absolutely no idea this was available! Too cool. Thanks

Hale

13. Livermore Shimervore says:

I’ve long believed this is the model they should use for books as well. At this point if a Kindle verison of a book is not available, I don’t buy it. Ditto for magazines. Not sure if it’s the publishers ressisting because hard covers allow for more revenue, but as a compromise they should give you both digital and hardcover with a single purchase, that way you don’t have to choose. Keep your antique version at home and take the digital with you. Those who don’t have to decorate a fancy book shelf with books they have never finished reading just go straight to digital.

And of course, Amazon : Yay! Itunes and their book shenanigans: Boo!