Click to enlarge

Source: Column Five Media

Category: Digital Media, Real Estate

11 Responses to “Coming Back to Life: The Housing Market’s Vital Signs”

1. Old Rob says:

The big Dent in the Tent is the huge increases in property taxes some of us in the northeast are experiencing. Serious wackage on the PIT factor when taking out a loan. This slows the execution of sales and will hinder any fast return to normalcy (what ever that is). Many non-financial types are lucky to get 1-2% salary increases. So what is this pictograph positive?

2. Super-Anon says:

I think this housing cycle could be unique to the extent that institutional speculators play a role. Also I think it’s pretty clear at this point that speculators in general have gotten a good head start front-running the recovery.

My guess is that the “recovery” turns into a massive institutionally managed pump-and-dump scheme.

3. call me ahab says:

FWIW- The real estate market in DC has recovered nicely- not much inventory- prices increasing- in DC proper, downright expensive

BR- like the new digs- this site has changed a lot over the last 5 years or so I have been dropping by- think you had a makeover a couple years back- I can’t even remember what the site looked like in 2008

4. TR says:

Fun page, Thanks
    If I can’t see a graph, the data is meaningless. I do recall what previous graphs look like.
    This is better than a kick in the teeth and maybe back to normal inflation rate for housing (averages 3% per year I think)? I think we still have a lot of tough rowing to go. Crossing fingers for everything to normalize!

5. BennyProfane says:

@call me ahab

C’mon, give us a break. DC practically sailed through this housing crash. For months, their prices were either positive, or much less damaged than most of America. That, more than anything, is a perfect road sign that says, “elites live here”, along with Manhattan and San Francisco. Your tax dollars hard at work.

This recovery will definitely end as a pump and dump by the institutions involved. What, do you actually think they’re going to manage these properties as rentals? “Hello, you have reached Paulson real estate investments. Please press one for English…………….. Please press one for plumbing issues…..please press two if you smell smoke…..please press three if you smell gas……….Hold for operator if you are a local law enforcement officer………”

6. zdog says:

San Francisco is very hot.

Purchased near the peak in September 2006. Couldn’t give it away in 2010. Fast forward to 2013. Had 150 people come to open house, multiple offers and will close with a profit later this month (knocks on wood).

P.s. like the new look. Maybe de-saturate the background?

7. Joe Friday says:

A large part of the reduction in foreclosures is because a number of states enacted legislation making it harder to foreclose. Some 52% of the overall recent drop was because of the dramatic drop in foreclosures in California alone, which changed their law.

Just painting the Pink Elephant in the room white still leaves the elephant in the room.

8. cuprous says:

@ call me ahab-

Yeah, DC also now has the highest per-capita income in the US. Think it has anything to do with massive deficit spending (subsidized by Uncle Ben’s magic printing press)?

9. BigBlueCrab says:

Very leery myself. Here on the gulf Coast I see some building, but there’s a huge glut yet they keep building. I asked one small time builder and he said ” Where else can you put your money?” ” A home builder builds, or he is not, and unemployed” People buy based on what they can pay. 200k@ 4%=$800/mo , When? rates go up, prices will come down $100k @8% …Prices is places other than where all you ‘RICH’ guys post from are still too high based on wages and inventory. No doubt banks, and others will continue the shell game until marked to market’ or other crazy sensibilities return…I aint’ biting!

10. rww says:

We are not quite back to the April 1998 rate of sale, when there were 40 million fewer Americans: http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/data/home-sales-existing.aspx?showCompleteHistory=true

11. rww says:

And about 15 million fewer single family housing units:

So sales are rising but not demand.