Take 3 parts Prince, 1 part In Living Color, add a dash of James Brown — and what you get is Miguel.

He may be that rare young artist who comes along once a decade with chops, vision, and creative conviction that gives you a glimpse of his entire career over 40 years as soon as you hear him sing.

For me, that moment was his live version of Adorn on SNL last week.

Miguel crushed it the way very few 25 year old artists ever do.

I loved the spare arrangement of Adorn. The lyrics have a joyous sultriness that just exploded off the screen. Drip his “raw honey falsetto” on top of those lyrics, painting aural portraits of loves, losses, heartbreaks and sexual fantasies. There is a dynamic tension in the song as it builds and fights tyo hold itself back before the song’s climax.

I have yet to hear all of Kaleidoscope Dream, but on the strength of this song, (plus Sure Thing and Do You), it looks to be worth a throw. I am unfamiliar with  All I Want Is You, and I am curious if any readers know it.

I don ‘t know what it is with this song, but the whole thing just comes together so well:

Adorn:

Live on SNL, April 13, 2013

Category: Friday Night Jazz, Music

6 Responses to “Friday Night Jazz R&B: Miguel Adorn”

1. Jim67545 says:

I especially like the lines:

AAAOWNA84NALC, Baby
    and
    EADKKWONAROUYQ, Baby

I know… blocked for life.

2. Robert M says:

I don’t know this guy but from the way you’re gushing, how old are you, you should definitely need to check out Janelle Monae.

3. Pantmaker says:

It was just ok for me…I kept waiting for the song to get all of the pieces moving in the same direction…and then it reminded me a bit of Prince…and I wanted to listen to Prince.

4. hue says:

The Mighty Quinn, Progression of a Prodigy (Quinn Sullivan is from the Boston area)

Playing Beatles at 5 years old he’s strumming “Blackbird”

The Real Crossroads: Quinn blows up Youtube at age 8 playing on stage with the Buddy Guy Legend Eric Clapton once said, “Buddy Guy is by far and without a doubt the best guitar player alive…if you see him in person, the way he plays is beyond anyone. Total freedom of spirit, I guess. He really changed the course of rock and roll blues.”

At 10, impressing BB King

At 11, Jimi Hendrix reincarnated?

At 13, is he Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughn? The look on the faces of the guitarists he jammed with is priceless. He’s releasing a CD this summer.

5. mpetrosian says:

Take a puff and then try to picture Ritholtz cruising down the interstate in one of those million dollar sports cars he’s always posting with Adore Wiz Kalifa version bumpin. Priceless. Good find, but I’m too into Kendrick Lamar right now to dedicate the time. It’s Friday!!!!

6. Eliza says:

I prefer this sound in Jazz/ R&B… Esperanza Spalding . Then again, it’s Saturday night.