Rocky Balboa:

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life…

Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not point fingers and blame other people. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!..!!!

This movie had a huge impact on me because what was said was so true in my own life. ” Its not how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.”

Category: Philosophy, Weekend

14 Responses to “How Tough Are You?”

1. Mo06 says:

Great video, thanks for that.

2. juneau says:

You’re a good man Barry Ritholz. Thank you for the inspiration today.

3. farmera1 says:

Rocky the Buddhist.

Rocky articulated two (out of three) of the most basic (vipassana) Buddhist concepts/truths:

1) Life in the physical world is tough, a real bitch (unsatisfactoriness) . 2) Life is impermanent, things change constantly (impermanence).

By the way the third concept is that there is no set self (selflessness).

4. chartist says:

BR,you must have been watching Rocky on HBO Friday night as I was. I watched it while my wife played with an Ipad in front of the TV. I told her that this was one of the best movies ever made with great performances from Burgess Meredith and Talia Shire. Meredith had a great line; “women weaken legs”.

5. nanka says:

Nature is ruthless,
    it treats the myriad things as strawdogs

The Sage is ruthless,
    he treats the myriad things as strawdogs

6. Ny Stock Guy says:

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

― Mike Tyson

7. From the (auto) racing sector..applicable throughout life:

Horse Power = How Fast You Hit the Wall …..
    Torque = How Much of the Wall, You Take With You.

Thank You Smokey Yunick (aka Best Damn Garage)

8. A says:

And the only thing that prevents the world from imploding, is that the honest people outnumber the dishonest people.

For now.

9. moruobai says:

“You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. . It’s How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done…”

Man BR, this is too great stuff!! Thanks for sharing. You are my all time favorite blogger.

10. Clem Stone says:

It’s like Fred Flintstone reciting Shakespeare.

11. Al Mostonest says:

Ah, you guys are sooo tough…. Life is so incredibly hard, and it takes tough guys like you to measure up to it! I can tell you, from experience, that life can be tough, but it can also be wonderful. Maybe I’m tougher than the rest of the tough guys that I’ve met, because they love to wallow in it, and focus on it, and act the part, and anticipate every kick to the balls that live dishes out. It also takes courage to look away from the negative nonsense (as true as it is) and to have a Platonic concept of life and your own part in it. Life will surprise you and sometimes meet your positive expectations. So you want to be a Rocky? One of life’s losers? Be a tough guy and forget how easy and beautiful life sometimes is….

12. joe2012 says:

Good one BR!
    Please forward to Eric Holder, MaryJo White, Barach OBama, our Congress and our Senate etc..its not too late to stand up to the Wall St.& the TBTF Banks.

Will any of them take the challenge, or are they too co-opted already. ? I hope not!