The most phenomenal recording in rock & roll history is thoroughly examined in Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon. The Floyd’s 1973 masterpiece remained on bestseller charts for nearly 14 years, and its enduring importance is honored here by all four members of Pink Floyd and key personnel (engineer Alan Parsons, mixing supervisor Chris Thomas, sleeve designer Storm Thorgerson, and others) who played essential roles in the landmark album’s creation. Produced for the Classic Albums series that originally aired on VH-1, this thorough and thought-provoking study highlights a track-by-track dissection of the LP’s master tapes (including the spoken-word passages that bookend the album), superbly interlaced with archival footage, early demo tapes, concert animations, and latter-day acoustic performances by David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Richard Wright to demonstrate each track’s contribution to the final mix–a sonic exploration that extends to the illuminating bonus features

Category: Music, Weekend

16 Responses to “The Making of Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon”

1. msherwood1 says:

“wish you were here” is my favorite Pink Floyd LP.

• recklessUgene says:

Animals and WYWH tied for second after The Dark Side of the Moon. Was 17 wandering into a lifelong basement party and so the soundtrack of my best years began. When Time began and ended my mind was completely blown. Still freakin awesome today!!

2. louis says:

Amazing how it stands up today. Still relevant and will be until the end I’m afraid. Would love to see these guys do a theater tour of pre Wall stuff.

3. chartist says:

Let me put it this way, when I joined my fraternity in the spring of 1980, Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon”, was the most played album. All of a sudden, Journey hit and in one giant move, Dark Side was relegated to the shelf and it was all Journey all the time for the next three years.

• Are you sure that wasn’t a sorority you joined?

• chartist says:

Good one BR. The older guys in the frat would say, if we’re going to listen to Pink Floyd, it’s going to be Dark Side, not The Wall.

• hue says:

Journey Escape was all the rage at my high school. I discovered Pink Floyd in college, and The Wall was popular because the movie just came out, get wasted and watch The Wall. The musicians in my dorm loved Dark Side of the Moon. We (I picked up the git tar, from all the musicians around me but never had an ear for the music) marveled at how that old album, DSTM, was still at the top of the charts 10 years later. 30 years later DSTM is still great, even listening sober.

4. Mr Reality says:

I Still think Echoes is a better album musucally. “Dark Side of the Moon’ is pretty good though.. Never could get into “The Wall” that much; maybe because it was playued to death back when it was released.

5. MidlifeNocrisis says:

I was a Junior in High School when the Dark Side came out. It is a timeless piece of pure music joy that I still listen to, although my original vinyl version is safely tucked away in the collection. Later on, I was also captivated by all of the Alan Parsons Project albums.

• milbank says:

I too was a junior in high school when Dark Side came out and it had a profound affect on me. Not since Sargeant Pepper had an album affected me so. I still, once in a while, put on the album, turn out the lights and go to the same place it took me over forty years ago or at least, as closed to that place as time and space will allow me.

Barry, I don’t post much here but, I’ve always felt over the years that, beyond your genius as a professional market prognosticator, which I read, admire and learn from on a daily basis, your esoteric interests which you also bring to “The Big Picture” makes me feel that you’re the kind of guy I’d probably enjoy knowing as a friend. Your doing an article on the fourtieth anniversary of Dark Side’s release, once again, supports this feeling.

6. There was a glitch this post double published — just moved all of these comments over here

7. Derektheunder says:

If you haven’t before, give “Meddle” a listen. Great album.

8. 873450 says:

Participants in the same room remembering events differently.

“In a February 1993 interview, guitarist David Gilmour described Thomas’ role on The Dark Side of the Moon as a referee for arguments between himself and bassist Roger Waters.

“I wanted Dark Side to be big and swampy and wet, with reverbs and things like that. And Roger was very keen on it being a very dry album. I think he was influenced a lot by John Lennon’s first solo album [Plastic Ono Band], which was very dry. We argued so much that it was suggested we get a third opinion. We were going to leave Chris to mix it on his own, with Alan Parsons engineering. And of course on the first day I found out that Roger sneaked in there. So the second day I sneaked in there. And from then on, we both sat right at Chris’s shoulder, interfering. But luckily, Chris was more sympathetic to my point of view than he was to Roger’s.”

Thomas disputes Gilmour’s assessment, saying “They were all there all the time because we were recording and adding things at the same time we were mixing. And contrary to some things I’ve read in the last ten years, there was a very nice atmosphere in the studio.”

9. dbrodess says:

Riveting.

10. rich says:

I was a Junior in High School. An album format AM station played this album while I was driving and listening to it. This station had recently converted to this niche as the new FM stations had taken over the single play/hit formats. I drove to the record store that day. I still have that first copy. I acquired an updated CD version which I purchased back in the 90′s to watch the Wizard of Oz along with after failing to accurately do this with the album.

11. bear_in_mind says:

Hey Barry — thanks for posting the full version! The DVD still has some bonus material you might appreciate, but this captures the majority of the content.

I think Roger Waters summed-up the album perfectly thusly: “There’s nothing plastic about it, you know, there’s nothing contrived about it… and I think that’s what has given it it’s… or maybe one of the things that’s given (it) it’s longevity.”

And in that statement may rest the real secret to this album. There’s nothing contrived about it. That is something one can very rarely say about art or music today; even society, really. There was an earnestness about this album that I think really resonated with the public. The band seemed to wrestle with both the hope and despair from the 1960′s in contrast with the unbridled potential of exploring space and other new frontiers.

For me, the irony is that I heard so much of the DSOTM on radio that I never owned the album until the 90′s. And speaking of saturation, I’ve never owned The Wall for same reason, but was under the spell of Comfortably Numb from the very first time I heard it. It’s never lost a certain hypnotic quality.

Saw the post-Waters iterations of Floyd in 1987 for the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, then in 1994 for the Division Bell tour. Hoping they’d make touring an every 7-year affair, but no such luck.

If you or other TBP readers enjoy David Gilmour’s work, think you might like this concert:

David Gilmour: Live In Gdansk (w/Polish Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra, c. 2006)
    YouTube