This morning I read that Storm Thorgerson, the graphic artist who did a lot of album cover designs, had passed away at 69 (from the Pink Floyd fansite Brain damage via NYT).

Storm was probably best known for his work with Pink Floyd, and the iconic design of Dark Side of the Moon, as well as Wish You Were Here and Animals. He also designed covers for Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy), Peter Gabriel, Styx, Phish and others. (See Pitchfork for more details)

Perhaps a fitting way to mark the occassion is with this clip from Classic Albums: The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon (2003)

Category: Music, Weekend

12 Responses to “Pink Floyd: Money in Studio”

1. rswojo says:

In my experience the best way to enjoy Pink Floyd was while doing hallucinogens. I haven’t listened to Pink Floyd in years and years probably because I don’t even know anybody who does psychedelic drugs anymore, much less someone who knows a supplier.

Does this say anything about you, Barry? hehe

2. MG says:

Storm was probably best known for his work with Pink Floyd…He also designed covers for Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy), Peter Gabriel, Styx,…

Perhaps a fitting way to mark the occassion is …

to put on some Floyd or Zeppelin, turn it up loud and smoke a fat one.

3. catman says:

Richie Havens died today as well. He could probably make an album in an afternoon. One of the great things about New York back in the day, and I hope now, is you can see giants roaming the earth. I saw Richie walking down McDougal Street one afternoon. I ran in to James Cotton and Pee Wee Madison walking up 5th in about the same year. Woot woot.

4. Frwip says:

Quiet desperation is the English way …

The documentary is excellent, btw. Buy it or check it out on the usual tubes.

5. Bob is still unemployed   says:

If you want to celebrate the life and art of Storm Thorgerson, put on a Pink Floyd album (I would suggest the Mobile Fidelity UHQR release of Dark Side of the Moon). Play it loud. Feel it. Immerse yourself in it.

Contrary to other comments, hallucinogens are not needed, just a love of music and an appreciation of album cover art. The 12 inch by 12 inch cover is a lost art form that is being appreciated once again. It appears that reading, interpretting, and discussing the album art is something that is a part of the enjoyment of music, something that was lost in the rush towards Compact Discs.

Enjoy the music whilst you pour over the album cover.

6. 873450 says:

Nick Mason interview – Abbey Road Studios, London, March 22nd 2013

Although it’s changed a lot physically, do you think Abbey Road contributed anything to the album?

That’s always the question I get – why do I think the record did so well? What I tend to firmly believe is that it’s not for any one reason. It’s a collection of elements that came together to make it work. One of those ingredients – well probably more than one – two or three – were Abbey Road, because the record is still seen as sonically really good and that was partly down to the maintenance staff here, and partly down to Alan Parsons. Without him I think it would have ended up not quite as good. There was an enormous amount of attention (and I’m sure there still is) applied to lining the tape machines up properly, and reducing the amount of hiss and noise. That’s part of it, and Alan’s engineering expertise absolutely had something to do with the success of the record.

I also believe things like Hipgnosis… Storm and Po’s record sleeve was absolutely right. People sometimes ask about that – they came into the studio to show us their ideas. We saw the prism and said ‘We like that’. They said ‘No, no, we’ve got others’ but we said ‘No, no, we don’t want to see others, we like that’!

I think Roger’s lyrics are extraordinary, because I think they are as relevant, if not MORE relevant, to a fifty or sixty year old, than to a twenty-something year old.

7. Simon says:

“Once you have a few bob…It WILL be invested by somebody…You have to decide IF you want to become a capitalist or not.”

The money quote if you’ll excuse the pun.

Not an issue for most who read this blog for whom the issue is HOW not IF.

8. bear_in_mind says:

STFU!!!!! I happened by a local music purveyor (i.e. Rasputin Records) on Saturday and picked up that very DVD, along with “The Making of ‘Wish You Were Here.’” Only had time to watch “The Making of ‘Dark Side of the Moon’” thus far, but LOVED IT. It was a marvel to watch them breathing life into that album and all of the incredible mixing and production that went into those songs. Made me think of how Queen and The Beatles created some of their amazing soundscapes before everything was a mouse-click away. Back then, you really had to think about and experiment to engineer a particular atmosphere ore sonic quality that you were trying to create. The documentary really demonstrated the incredible musicianship of David Gilmour. Pink Floyd continued without Waters, but there’s no way Floyd could have been anywhere near the same band without Gilmour.

Another rock documentary I recently dicovered that other rock-n-roll fans ought to enjoy: “Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage.” Fascinating back stories on each of the band members, coupled with some AMAZING archival footage and numerous entertaining cameos w/ celebs and fellow musicians. There’s a snippet of the band playing “YYZ” in Rio de Janiero and OMG, I’ve never seen an audience so enthralled. They actually ‘sing’ along to the song… never mind it’s an instrumental piece!

9. bear_in_mind says:

BTW, the clip of “The Making of DSOTM” doesn’t credit the bearded gent who’s working the mixing board: none other than Alan Parsons. Also, forgot to mention the CD includes a couple nice snippets with the band’s late pianist / keyboardist, Richard Wright.

10. Lariat1 says:

Sitting on my living room floor stoned immersed in Dark Side of the Moon. With us were our small town’s close group of Nam vets. I called them our walking wounded. We were the music, it was us. Yet even today when I hear that album, I am back there in that living room.

11. whatdoiknow says:

Lariat,

Hours…. days, listening to “the Floyd”.
    I preferred to listen alone, with bagel-sized ‘head-set’ strapped on.

Still get chills.
    “Careful with that axe..” Oh man. Scares the sh_t out of me still!
    But DSOTM is the masterpiece.

12. schirimiester says:

Saw them in March 1973 on their DSOTM tour. Gilmour and Waters were pushing buttons on tape recorders mounted on their mic stands to play some of the complex “backround” effects.

First time I saw speakers placed throughout the upperdeck and totally encircling the arena. Total surround sound. First time I saw fog machines. Then when they flashed the spot lights on that spinning crystal ball hanging from the ceiling I and 20,000 fans went bonkers.

People who think the 70′s wasn’t the best decade for rock never lived through it IMO.