As best scientists can tell, lobsters age so gracefully they show no measurable signs of aging: no loss of appetite, no change in metabolism, no loss of reproductive urge or ability, no decline in strength or health. Lobsters, when they die, seem to die from external causes. (Full transcript here)

Source:
The Long And Happy Lives Of Lobsters
Robert Krulwich
NPR November 16, 2007

Category: Food and Drink, Weekend

8 Responses to “Audio: The Long And Happy Lives Of Lobsters”

1. PeterR says:

“Lobsters, when they die, seem to die from external causes.”

Like being boiled?

2. RW says:

That was a real hoot: Made me forget for a moment that lobsters are cannibalistic bugs that happen to taste good.

3. barbacoa666 says:

So, in sorta-kinda way, butter kills both the hunter and hunted.

4. Old Rob says:

My son’s friend is convinced that lobsters do sing. I had never heard of this before, but my experience tells me that this is NY urban myth.
    I sometimes go to the cooking area of a restaurant on Somes Sound on MDI. Narry a sound except for the crackling fire and the boiling water.

It’s that time of year again. Stay away from the ‘shedders’.

5. constantnormal says:

This has the making of a Stephen King story … “King Lobster” … terrorizing small Maine fishing village … a crustacean version of “Jaws” … with the predictable buttery ending …

6. rfk says:

They age, but maybe not so gracefully. There are things you see and things you do not see.

It’s not always easy being a lobster, they experience stress too…