My afternoon train reads:

• Bond Bulls Say Buy the Dips (Moneybeat)
• 13 things you didn’t know about the Fortune 500 (Fortune)
• Managing The Paradox Of Choice In Financial Planning (Nerd’s Eye View)
• The Oil and Gold Booms Are Over (Bloomberg)
• France & Germany: A tandem in trouble (Economist) see also Spanish yields and the ECB’s austerity defence (FT Alphaville)
• Google: I’m Feeling Useless (Bitsplitting)
• Plan to boost in-flight Internet could wreak havoc on satellite networks (arstechnica)
• Austerity in De-Niall (Huffington Post) see also Glenn Hubbard’s New Book Cites Discredited Reinhart-Rogoff Study (HuffPo)
• A few famously wrong predictions (25 Photos) (The Chive)
• Kareem: 20 Things I Wish I’d Known When I Was 30 (Esquire)

What are you reading?

A New Era for Do-It-Yourself Investing
Graphic
Source: WSJ

Category: Financial Press

6 Responses to “10 Monday PM Reads”

1. rd says:

The free market decided that th West Fertilizer plant only needed $1 million in liability insurance coverage. I assume that the owners will likely declare the company bankrupt so the injured parties will be able to collect on the insurance and the value of the land when it is sold at auction.

Apparently Texas journalists are figuring out htat the regulatory system broke down and failed to protect the citizens in West.

And an editorial has come up with one of the best lines I have ever seen regarding bureaucrats – shades of Molly Ivins:

2. Moss says:

Amazing divergent opinions on bonds and interest rates. The deflation vs. inflation saga continues.

3. James Cameron says:

> “In testimony Wednesday before a Texas House committee, additional officials boldly stepped forward to not accept responsibility.”

A reader has a great comment in the Dallas News opinion piece:

“This is exactly what you get with an anti-regulation, anti-government, low service, low oversight conservative form of government, from the mayor to the governor and those he appoints.

“In the end a large part of the blame has to rest rests with the people who elected the officials who govern like this, they got the government they wanted, but not the government anyone deserves.”

4. Bob is still unemployed   says:

I’m currently reading the lyrics of Pink Floyd’s Echoes as I listen to it…

Strangers passing in the street
    By chance two separate glances meet
    And I am you and what I see is me.

5. Bill in SF says:

“There are more people living inside this circle than outside of it.”

6. PeterR says:

Microsoft admits to Windows 8 SNAFU in the FT:

How could such a huge company get this so wrong after decades of similar mistakes? I guess that is how a monopoly survives?

How could Apple have released its own Maps function without a traffic feature and with so many other mistakes?

Mind-blowing IMO.