Source: Amazon

BP-SC4000

I just ordered this — regularly $100, on sale for $25. Looks pretty cool.

Category: Technology, Weekend

8 Responses to “Opteka Ultra Thin Solar Powered High Capacity = $25”

1. rjbcg says:

Great suggestion for those of us who live in hurricane-prone South Florida!!

2. PeterR says:

The iPad Mini is not listed as one of the covered devices, and it IS listed under the extra USB charging cable, so I ordered the 3-pack incl. solar key fob, for a slight increase in price.

3. Init4good says:

Can you say BAR Gain?

4. td says:

I’ve thought about pulling the trigger on this particular charger before but the comments on Amazon are less than stellar…. Seems some people have trouble with the LED’s and the instructions that come with aren’t much good. Interested to see how it works for you.

5. Kerim says:

Here’s a $5 DIY version,

FYI: the person did this in the Philippines so inexpensive parts may be easier to come by there, and I don’t know how the specs match up to the Opteka one.

From $100 to $25 to DIY $5: a factor of 20.

(1950′s dream of electricity to cheep to meter!? I’m still skeptical, but if it does come to pass I think it will be from solar not fusion)

• PK says:

It’s got to be solar… as efficiency creeps up, we can already make a roof generate power for the rest of the house. Fusion will be great, but look at transmission costs on your bill (if they’re spun out) – it’s non trivial.

Easier to run a wire from your roof!

6. Mike in Nola says:

Hope it works for you. The comments seem hit or miss. Could be quality control or possibly differences in current or voltage requirements for different devices.

When I got my Lumia 710, I had read that it required a charger capable of delivering more than normal current. Think it was one amp. The supplied charger worked fine even though it was ordinary looking. I was skeptical about the current capacity statement, so I tried using my old HTC charger with a micro usb cord and it wouldn’t charge the Lumia at all even though I left it plugged in a long time. It will still charge the old Touch Pro 2 with a honking extra big battery so it’s not broken.

Thanks for the link on the homebrew job. Only problem is I gave my soldering iron and hot glue gun to the nuns who bought our house :)

7. mrflash818 says:

Return it and get a portable PV solar charger that is solar only (no battery) with at least 5watts of output in direct sun.

There are USB connector PV solar chargers and 12v chargers. Get the one that you’ll likely use the most. (Or, spend a little additional money, and get a 12v charger with cigarette lighter shaped output, and a cigarette lighter 12v to USB charger adapter for cars.)

You’ll thank me the 1st time you need to really use a PV solar charger for a cell phone in a long term power emergency.