Nice set of various ways to see Real Estate from WSJ:

click for interactive graphic
re wsj past due
Video After the jump

In a sharp turnaround over the past two years, home prices are zooming up in more markets amid big declines in the supply of homes offered for sale. — April 2013

Case-Shiller Home Index Rises 9.3%

The U.S. housing recovery continues as home prices grew at their highest annual growth rate since 2006, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller survey. Nick Timiraos has details

Category: Real Estate, Video

10 Responses to “Where Housing Is Headed”

1. Alex says:

Here in Boise, single family house prices are up about 14% YoY, but what appears to be shooting up is land. Lousy lots are going for twice what really nice lots went for three years ago. I don’t know exactly what the appreciation has been, but it is huge. This is strange, because one thing there is no shortage of in Idaho, is land. Most of it is publicly owned, of course, but there is plenty of private land out here. If all you want is a place to park your double wide, you should be able to find a place with little or no zoning, and almost no taxes. You won’t have fire protection or other public services, but that kind of land is out there, no more than 10 miles from the city limits. Yet, within the city, with its high taxes that people out here absolutely hate, I haven’t seen any lots available for less than $100,000 – I saw one, inquired, and it had been taken off the market.

I own an income property that I was thinking I would hang onto forever, but now I am thinking I should be a little more flexible about it.

2. ironman says:

Where housing was and is now!….

Oh, and a contrary opinion!

3. davebarnes says:

Happy that I live in Denver. It is snowing this May Day.
    Ironman makes and excellent point with the Motley Fool link.
    Real, inflation-adjusted prices are still down here in Denver. For all the price increases lately and “multiple bids, over asking, in one day”, the Case-Shiller data show no bubble. http://www.3968vrain.com/English/Denver/CaseShiller_Prices.html

4. VennData says:

Nice graphic, of course Orange Country California is broken, no way to comment that to them without signing up for Rupert Murdock’s Book of helpful ways to undermine the Affordable Care Act.

You wonder who edits their stuff?

5. MorticiaA says:

Due to a potential employer move, we may be selling our Houston home (where to say “it’s a seller’s market” is a huge understatement) and re-locate to a lower cost of living market. Sell high, buy low – it’s a great thing when you can get it.

In doing our preliminary research before putting the house up for sale, we’re hearing crazy stories: homes that list b/n $450M and $500M going through bidding wars and ending up at $100M over list; lines of people 13 deep waiting to view a house (and not during an open house); selling prices up 24% in the last two weeks.

It smells like the makings of a bubble to me; hope we get to sell during all of this.

6. Sarge says:

Alex, thanks for the Boise update. That is where I’m planning to move. Prices there – and I’ve been inquiring with an agent out there is still WAAAY below anything here in Northern Virginia. The nice thing about Boise is that it’s not DC Metro. Gawd awful place to live if you get within 50 miles of DC.

• Alex says:

Sarge, I’m not a realtor, but close friends just moved to a larger house and I was involved, so I got a look at both the buy and sell sides. If you want to chat about it, you can email me – click on my link for contact information. Neighborhoods are important everywhere, but it seems unusually so here.

I see you have a dog. You will be very much at home here; almost everyone has a dog. Mine is a lab-viszla mix.

7. Mortgage Guy says:

The Housing Market here in Northern California is also on fire. It is very difficult to buy a home unless you are a cash buyer. An exception to that would be, if you are represented by Pacificwide Lending. We guarantee 5 star service with full communication throughout the loan process, quick turnarounds and smooth, timely closings with no problems. Pacificwide Lending specializes in low rate Residential and Commercial Loans. Purchase Money Loans, Refinance Loans, Jumbo, Super Jumbo, Reverse mortgages, ARM Loans as well as many other Loan Products. http://www.pacificwidelending.com

8. Ed Ambrose says:

Finally people are beginning that the Housing market varies radically by region. Prices in January and February Increased at an annual rate of 22% in the three California cities in the Case Shiller but only 3% in the parts of nation not covered by this index, In the California cities ( LA, San Diego, and San Francisco) house prices average $626 K while outside the index the average price is $118K. The Feds low interest rates have a big impact in overpriced cites where the prices are not sustainable in the long term. Growth in the Case Shiller may be peaking. California cities were flat in the last three months. The next 2 months will demonstrate if price growth in the expensive markets will stabilize.

9. Giovanni says:

@Alex, when I read your comments on Boise they brought into focus a NYT article I read earlier: Before Housing Bubbles, There Was Land Fever- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/business/before-housing-bubbles-there-was-land-fever.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&