My afternoon train reading:

• Goldman Sees Commodity Bull Run Over as Returns Trail Stocks (Bloomberg)
• Survivorship bias: why 90% of the advice about writing is bullshit right now (Tobias Buckell)
• Why is this recovery unlike the others? (MarketWatch)
• The era of ‘uncertainty’ may be over. Will a growth boom begin? (Wonkblog)
• How Does Income Growth Compare to Other Recoveries? (Real Time Economics)
• JPMorgan’s Alabama Debacle Set to Cost Bank $1.6 Billion (Bloomberg)
• Why Conservatives Hate Citi Bike So Much, in One Venn Diagram (NY Magazine)
• A Cup Is at the Heart of a Trademark Dispute (NYT)
• If companies had realistic slogans what would they be? (Reddit)
• Earth’s Weirdest Landscapes (Sierra)

What are you reading?

‘Dark Pools’ Face Scrutiny
Dark Pools
Source: WSJ

Category: Financial Press

12 Responses to “10 Thursday PM Reads”

1. RW says:

From an historical, fundamental macroeconomic perspective, what do we have to look forward to?

After the Lost Decade: Scenarios for ‘Normalization’

Right now we have a depressed economy, with the adult-employment-to-population ratio four and a half percentage points below what I see as its current normal demographic value of 63%. The adult-employment-to-population ratio fell from 63% to 58.5% in 2008-9. And since then–for four years–it has flatlined. I never thought I would see anything like this in my lifetime. …

Right now the profit share in the US economy is at levels far and away higher than I at least ever imagined I would see. And, given the high profit share and the extremely low return on Treasury notes the stock market is far and away lower than I at least ever imagined I would see. With downward pressure on real wages from elevated unemployment making it more likely that profits will grow faster than the economy rather than shrink, the 9% point gap between the S&P earnings yield of 7% and the Treasury note real yield of -2% — I never thought I would see anything like this in my lifetime.

But we are going to get out of this, at some point.

The question is: when we do get out of this, what is the financial economy likely to look like?

2. slowkarma says:

For people interested in both economics and rap music, here’s the fight of the century:

3. kernelpanic says:

Barry’s posting yesterday of “Every business cliche” reminded me of this.

4. this: “…Nor does the fact that the red coffee cup does not much resemble the red heart of the I ♥ NY logo make much difference. Federal regulations, she said, “prohibit companies from using any part of a trademark.”…”
    from:
    • A Cup Is at the Heart of a Trademark Dispute (NYT)

regardless of, other attendant Points, “Why is his ‘Coffee Cup” Red?”

he sought, to use the vernacular, to ‘Gravy Train’ on the Logo (that is seeking to protect its Rights..)

5. jaymaster says:

Not reading, but watching “Brain Games” on Nat Geo channel.

It’s all about cognitive biases and weaknesses.

Barry, this stuff is right up your alley!

6. quadrillion.me says:

Barry,
    Are you a redditor too? Seriously, how the f*** do you get so much time for all the information gathering and blogging? (besides your real job)

7. BoKolis says:

Employers as bad buyers distorting the health care market…not unlike the crap job done with retirement vehicles. Whether correct, agreeable or otherwise, first thing in a whole that has rattled the brain…talk about potential for disruption.

8. Cato says:

There’s too many different articles on it to choose one but, since there seem to be quite a lot of oenophiles on here (at least given the evidence of suggested gifts duing the holiday season), does anyone have any strong views on the whole France-China wine & solar panels tariff dust-up. All a bit of “handbags at dawn” or something else, i.e. does anyone think an import tariff would hurt demand in China for French wines? From what my friends living there tell me, an increase in price would probably increase demand! Here’s a background article anyway: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9229031a-cdb1-11e2-8313-00144feab7de.html#axzz2VVyX0aKa