Last weekend, on a gorgeous evening, I took the missus to see Fleetwood Mac at Jones Beach Theater.

They were never my kinda band, although I will admit to liking the album Fleetwood Mac. Their breakout hit, Rumors, was too commercial for me, lacking much of an edge. (Bill Clinton adopted Don’t Stop (thinking about tomorrow) as his campaign theme song)

The years have treated the songs surprisingly well — they more or less hold up. My guess is because of what an interesting and brilliant guitarist Lindsey Buckingham is. (I had no idea prior). Stevie Nicks has a huge fan base who adore her, but I found her sincere but a bit ditzy, and she seemingly messed up the lyrics to Rhiannon.

They are doing a national tour, and I assume they are going to get tighter as the shows go on. If you are a fan, you are encouraged to go. Everyone else can skip it.

Photos after the jump

Never Going Back Again
Without You
Gypsy
Eyes of the World
Gold Dust Woman
I’m So Afraid
Stand Back (Stevie Nicks song)
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
World Turning (Drum Solo)
Don’t Stop

Encore 2:
Silver Springs
Say Goodbye

Source: Setlist

Category: Friday Night Jazz, Music, Weekend

18 Responses to “Fleetwood Mac, Jones Beach Theater”

1. spooz says:

Landslide is one of my all time favorite songs. Stevie Nicks did it best, imo.

2. Init4good says:

Lindsey is a true talent. I caught them on tv a yr or so ago, and agree they were surprisingly great.

3. pm2416 says:

A few months back your pal and mine Bob Lefsetz just killed them.

4. Captain Ned says:

A full version of “Oh Well” would have me there in an instant. The best Clint Eastwood Western music he never used.

5. rd says:

Fleetwood Mac started out as essentially a soft-core British blues band. The sound totally changed in the mid-70s when they added Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham of Buckingham-Nicks – a British folk-pop duo. That is when Fleetwood Mac started hearing the cash registers ringing.

• ByteMe says:

Nicks and Buckingham are both very much Americans (they met in high school in California)…. not British.

• orvil tootenbacher says:

yes. many people are not well versed on fleetwood mac history. and like you, it it my obligation and duty to pontificate to these low-infomation fans:

and lindsey buckingham is also blue-blood british royalty. with the success of fleetwood mac the Brits re-maned one of their palaces from ‘kinghut’ to ‘buckingham palace’. at about this same time stevie nicks purchased a rag-tag group of dock workers and started a basketball team the came to known as the new york nicks.

at about the same time that patrick ewing was purchased by nicks for the nicks, to capitalize on fleetwood mac’s huge commercial success, mcdonalds name their flagship burger the ‘fleetwood mac’ which was later shorten to just “the big mac’ after stevie nicks gained a lot of weight. cadillac also changed the name of their pimpiest car from just the boring single-word ‘cadillac’ to the much sexier ‘fleetwood ma.’ you know, to show respect for the game.

it in no coincidence that the clintons love both fleetwood mac and burgers. most people do not know that the clinton’s are mcdonald’s employees and sang back-up for the peter green lead fleetwood in the mealy 70′s. after his singer career ended, peter green changed his name to peter griffin and went on to star as the lead actor in ‘the family guy’. he also gain a lot weight.

6. rswojo says:

They had an album called “Kiln House” which was complete and outstanding but it seems they forgot about it and not too many people know about it. Give it a listen.

7. swag says:

That’s cool that you got to see that. Not really my cup of tea either, but I do love good musicianship, and Buckingham is really an unheralded monster musician.

8. beaufou says:

I grew up listening to Van Halen, Lukather and Rabin. Lindsey Buckingham always sounded well rounded though, wonderful musician.

9. WKWV says:

I saw Little Feat and Fleetwood Mac open for Dave Mason in some godforsaken basketball arena. Thankfully there were lots of warm bodies to absorb the bizarre acoustics of the arena.

10. tlittell says:

Don’t think they’ve ever gotten the snaps they deserve for their music over the years. They have evolved as a band from the early years with the changes in personnel (agree BTW about Buckingham’s greatness). Some of their later stuff was written for top 40 radio maybe, but hey, a band’s gotta survive, right? Saw them once at the base of Stowe Mountain Vermont on a beautiful summers evening, when they opened for CSN believe it or not. What a treat! Silver Spring would have to be my all time favorite.

11. bear_in_mind says:

No doubt, Lindsey Buckingham is one of the most under-rated guitarists in in popular music. I’ve seen the band in three configurations, and there’s no question that Buckingham provides a spark that they’ve never replaced when he’s been on the sidelines. I also think the band was much better rounded vocally when Christine McVie was in the fold, but you can’t make someone do something they don’t wanna do anymore. It was rumored (no pun intended) that they tried to lure Sheryl Crow into the band, which could have been interesting, but inevitably one would wind-up with someone standing in the shadows of the other and would just introduced a whole new legacy of fractured relationships. I think the coolest thing is seeing the four of them close ranks and come back together when they actually want to part of the band together.

12. ToddMPeters says:

A great band but they clearly lost some magic when Christine McVie retired.

13. JB7456 says:

Barry,
    I know there are times when you don’t want to post things and maybe feel pressure to do so but I would like to thank you for what you have done. I have forwarded many links from your site…the Jupiter/moon thing was way out of finviz’z bailiwick but it it brings the human to all of us Im sure. I do ask one favor of you and ask you to take some time and listen to Future Games and Mystery to Me (albums)…when Bob Welch and Christine McVie were part of the group. I saw the newer group twice and they did rock but as far as musical and lyrical depth I would lean towards the original band. Thanks again for what you do my bro!

JB