I have had an odd couple of weeks, where some really strange, rather interesting things keep happening to me. I don’t know how else to describe this except to say life can be oddly fascinating.

I am usually pretty cynical; I tend towards the critical, and yes, I have been called a curmudgeon.

Just to prove that I am not in a dark mood all the time, here are some things that have pleasantly surprised me recently:

Checked luggage: During a jaunt of travel from NY to Denver to Vancouver to NY to Maine to NY again, I never waited more than 7 minutes for my checked luggage. Clocked on the iPhone’s timer, from the moment I arrived at baggage claim to when I physically collect my bags, no more than 420 seconds.

Delta Terminal at LaGuardia is actually nice:  Not the new one, but the old crappy one — pretty much gut renovation, lots of seating everywhere, tons of power outlets — and affixed iPads for free web browsing. (I checked my passport to make sure I was in the right country),

Took a friend apartment shopping. First place we saw I said “He’ll take it.” Make him fill out paperwork; We then looked at 6 other places — none remotely as good. Agent said “Good thing you took that place — 9 other people tried to get it.”

Lost my anchor 2 weeks ago. That is not a spiritual reference, I literally snagged what I suspect is an undersea communications cable in the Long Island Sound in 39 feet of water in my little dingy. Despite lots of trying, could not get free — had to cut it loose, thinking, “there goes $500.” On Monday, I find a replacement on eBay for $30 and order it. I come home from work the next day and there is a box sitting on my front porch with a Danforth anchor in it. I am amazed.

WTF Podcast: I continually am amazed at the high quality content that is given away for free. WTF is a perfect example of that. It is my favorite Airplane entertainment. When I am too tired to read but not focused enough to watch a movie,  WTF podcasts are the ideal time killer. They are just perfect little vignettes, smart conversations that you get to listen to. Funny, insightful, entertaining stuff.

• NYC Rocks: Walk down the streets of NY, filled with electricity, tourists, and office workers living out their lives. So much intellectual capital, all in one place. If you don’t feed off the energy in this city, you are probably already dead. (The 7 Train: Deserves its own mention for being so fast and damned reliable).

My Co-Workers are great:  I work with some terrific people. Today was the last day for our summer interns — they get some R&R before returning to Amherst and University of Pennsylvania. My colleagues are smart, funny, pleasant people to work and hang with.  We are doing good things for people and bringing the truth to those who need (Preach it, brother!) I am thrilled to be part of this team.

Technology is Magic: What we can do with software today was simply beyond imagining 10 years ago. It is a wondrous time, your life is better when you can appreciate these things.

Tomorrow, I will go back to being a curmudgeon, but I wanted to get these few things out there . . .

Video: Louis CK on Conan, “Everything is amazing and nobody is happy” after the jump.

Louis CK: “Everything is amazing and nobody is happy”

"Everything is amazing and nobody is happy" by Meowbay

Category: Web/Tech, Weblogs

14 Responses to “Wonders of Modern Life”

1. I keep seeing all sorts of beautiful woman of all kinds on the Manhattan streets.

Do the woman think the men on this island are as attractive as the men think the women are? I am curious . . .

• lburgler says:

The good looking men are in Brooklyn and the Midwest.

Manhattan is actually known as the epicenter of male douchiness and overcompensating disorders.

2. catman says:

woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head on the way downstairs and had a cup and somebody spoke and I fell into a dream. Just don’t let the joys of reality infect your market views!

3. ninaforrest says:

Counting your blessings or being a curmudgeon, your blog is one of the best things on the internet!

4. Tahoe says:

full agreement with @ninaforrest ~ fabulous work day in day out. And full agreement with your sentiment of the day. There is much that can be said for finding and accepting that one win per day mentality – thanks for sharing that – great post!

5. S Brennan says:

Let me add one; went down to my boat to fix a broken handle on the hatch. I had an anodized aluminum handle from a remodel, I figure I’ll use one hole and drill the other..wrong..it fit perfectly!

6. Bob is still unemployed   says:

What you see depends upon what you look for.

It is good to take a step back and look for different things.

It is called perspective.

7. Richard W. Kline says:

There are brief stretches of time, numbered in days to single digits, where one can be in synch with the fabric of the continuum. So to speak. The empiricist in me says “Random variation,” while the human being in me says “Psychic phenomenon.” I’ve experienced them over many years now; enough to recognize them when I’m in one, and to attempt to map the experience for comparison. The one thing I’d say I’ve identified is . . . a downer. (Sorry to harsh that mellow.) Which is after a brief stretch of zigging when one should zig and All Being Splendid, there is an equally brief stretch where one zags every single freakin’ time. As up as up was, down breaks down. Where one was for the nonce aligned, the continuum becomes one big burr; in your underwear. So if the manure hits the aerial spreader upwind just about now, have your spit-proof shield up, brother. And if not: sweet!

Tech is good at what tech does. If you want to do what tech does just nowadays, it can be pretty damn slick. I’d trade it in an instant, no looking back, for a capacity as an encyclopedic mnemonic, such as those who mastered the early medieval art of memory could command. That was beyond me when I was younger though I knew the techniques, and I’m older than that now. But still!

The world can be pretty damned nice if you let yourself let it happen to you, so long as the thought police and NKVD simulacra of ones time and place aren’t knocking in the door in the night. And they _are_ out there making their petty hells rain all over unfortunates of the Not Preferred Aspect. But yeah: if one is the equivalent of ‘free, white, and 21′ for ones time and place, one is inside the Good Things Happen Bubble. I don’t vex myself with such morbid thoughts when I am, personally, on the cushion inside the Good Things Happen Bubble. I just don’t forget that some folks never get to be there, ever, though no doing of their own. It’s till good to sit in the sun with a cold one, sure, but some folks don’t get as much upside as others. Wishing them well can’t hurt, right? The ol’ ‘Do harm to none’ thing.

Smart people are the best entertaiment system in the world. Even when they piss you off, it’s like that guy who beat you at handball that afternoon, it just makes you want to be better, and you go to sleep thinking about how to do so. Wish I had more of them sorta folk available in the near at hand . . . .

• Do harm to none sounds like a good philosophy !

• Richard W. Kline says:

It’s a great concept in and of itself. Moreover, the phrasing has a history you may appreciate: “Do what thou wilt and do harm to none,” was the slogan of the ‘spiritual but not religious’ liberals of the 16th & 17th century, caught between emergent Evangelical Protestantism and the statist Counter-Reformation. (A version was borrowed by Shakespeare, and modern Wiccans seem to have incorporated the phrase to their own ends though I don’t believe that end-stage pagans, such as there were, originated it.)

The Counter-Reformation insisted on orthodox observance in the last detail, regardless of belief; as such it was heavily anti-libertarian. Hence the ‘Do what thou wilt,’ as a sufficient maxim for an honest and free-thinking person opposed to hypocritical, even collaborationist, conformity. On the other hand true Protestants, who also avoided or refused to comply with orthodox religious practices, were heterodox, and that was judged to be ‘harmful’ by orthodoxy. Hence those in the middle covered themselves on their left with the ‘do harm to none’ convention in their slighting of orthodox conformity. Evangelical Protestants for their part demanded conviction in word and deed in religious profession. Conventional observance was _sin_, but even pacific non-conformity was inadequate. To them, the entire slogan was one of ‘half-hearted men,’ who shirked conformity but lacked zeal and hence real faith.

Seen from within, the slogan is archetypal for liberal centrism which instinctively avoids any extreme. Make of that what you will . . . : )

8. lrh says:

“Mom, look, I found something more fun than complaining!”

– Lisa Simpson, vegetarian, egalitarian, and in general, preachy goody-two-shoes — riding a pony at the country club, in 1996 Simpsons episode, “Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield.”

9. cfischer says:

> Do the woman think the men on this island are as attractive as the men think the women are? I am curious

Probably not. But many of the men are probably as wealthy as the women hope they are.