My morning reading:

• Forget stock picking, stick with the indexes (MarketWatch)
• ‘Sharing economy’ is here to stay, so get used to it (Los Angeles Times)
• How Many ‘Greater Fools’ Does It Take to Make a Bubble? (Moneybeat) see also Housing Market Is Heating Up, if Not Yet Bubbling (Dealbook)
• A Synopsis of Fedspeak (Tim Duy’s Fed Watch)
• The JP Morgan apologists of CNBC (Reuters) see also Why Judges Are Scowling at Banks (NYT)
• Fiscal debates: Troubled waters ahead or perfect calm? (Vanguard)
• How to probe public attitudes? (Understanding Society)
• The Genius Of Twitter: A Paean (Tech Crunch)
• Obsoletive (stratēchery)
• New York in Black and White (Wired New York)

What are you reading?

Apple Passes Coca-Cola as Most Valuable Brand
Table
Source: NYT

Category: Financial Press

12 Responses to “10 Monday AM Reads”

1. swag says:

Debt ceiling fandango: the key dates

This is fun, not only because it might assist with some moron profiteering, but also because of paragraphs like this:

“It’s like saying to the bank I’d rather not pay my mortgage payments, default and be black-listed (affecting my future earnings potential) — even though I am currently able to borrow all the money I need to make those payments at zero interest cost to me — because I would rather not owe even more money to what are most likely members of my own family, who aren’t really all that bothered if I don’t pay them back because they know what’s bad for me is bad for them as well. (And guess what, they have — for generational reasons — over-accumulated those sums anyway.)”

2. denim says:

What am I reading?
    Inspired by today’s NYT and the Naked Capitalism articles on Obama, I am reading Obama’s Jan 21, 2013 Inaugural Address. Just to see how much, if any, metamorphs into lip service as the government shutdown, debt ceiling, ACA Obama care issue bubbles in the cauldron.*

* “Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.”

3. Livermore Shimervore says:

Coca Cola will be here long after global consumers have moved on from Apple to Xiaomi and other Chinese home-grown technology companies poaching the brightest tech minds from around the globe (SEE Hugo Barra). Which highlights the strength of Coca Cola, technology may evolve but the emerging consumer’s desire to have a piece of America via an inexpensive commodity will always outlive very expensive commodities like the iPhone and iPad whose case is becoming less compelling as alternatives begin to deliver better product at far lower prices.
    The other issue is that in order for Apple to succeed, it must continually come up with a better flasghip product than the last, and better than its competitors as well. No technology company has ever been able to keep that up forever. Coca Cola has a far easier task: tase good and be cheap, American it will always be.

4. chartist says:

Just got back from Salmon fishing in upstate NY where I rented a guy’s upper floor of his house for myself and two others. I met him at a bar saying I would be back to fish in two weeks but might have to stay in Syracuse, a 35 mile commute. He said you can rent my place and we struck a deal, I saved 35% plus gasoline traveling back and forth from Syracuse. I’ll be a repeat customer of his!

5. RW says:

One of the earliest concessions in the ongoing resolution and debt ceiling fight was continuation of sequestration. The intransigence of the TP Republicans unfortunately appears to be matched by the pusillanimity of Republican leadership; wonder if that will change in time.

Sequester Watch, #24

Episode #24 of the mindless, across the board budget cuts known as sequestration comes just as the House R’s are on the brink of shutting down the government. Note the entry below ”…Shutdown Threatens Federal Workers Already Squeezed by Sequestration.” The shutdown threatens furloughs of 800,000 workers, and whether they get retroactive pay for the time they’re shut out is not yet decided. That, of course, is a huge deal for these workers and their families, many of whom are already dealing with sequestration furloughs.

This is, of course, no way to build a reliable workforce. It is, on the other hand, an excellent way to fulfill the conservative prophecy that “government doesn’t work!” Of course it doesn’t…they broke it.

6. RW says:

Is there something in the air that prevents neoconservative policymakers learning anything from history or other countries and also prevents corporate media from appropriately analyzing same?

House Prices in the United Kingdom are 25 Percent Higher Than in the United States

…a new program by U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron to offer government guarantees on mortgages where homeowners made down payments equal to just 5 percent of the price of the home. …

…might have been worth noting that the average price in the U.K. is almost 25 percent higher than the …average price in the United States. This might provide some cause for concern, since the per capita income in the U.K. is more than 25 percent lower …

7. Alex says:

Looking at the brand value list, I think the really interesting change is Google jumping up two notches. it seems that most brands either stay at the same level or move up or down one notch.

Way to go Google!

8. A. Cy Lum says:

The Quartz article, re-linked here:

qz.com/129691/10-surprising-economic-trends-that-rule-the-world/

will provide me with a full helping of brain food in terms of how these trends are actionable by me. I’m watching my solar pick; healthcare one, with another pick I’m watching, and the other trends will be contemplated during yard work.

Thank you.