I have some news:

I am pleased and excited to let you know about a new venture we have officially launched today: Ritholtz Wealth Management,

Myself, Josh Brown, and our entire team have decided to spin out as a stand alone firm. Effective today, we are an investment advisory firm registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We are fiduciaries focused exclusively on asset management and wealth planning.

This has been in the planning stages for quite a while. We have a variety of fantastic ideas lined up that will allow us to bring our unique brand of investor education, services, and information directly to our readers.

We have a number of projects in the works. We believe these will help you as investor — whether you are a client of ours or not.

Our primary goal remains serving our clients’ interests: The only reason any service firm to exist is to satisfy its clients’ needs. Managing risk, analyzing opportunities, generating returns, and communicating our viewpoints are what we do for the benefit of our clients. If it does not further the interest of the clients, it has no place in our shop.

However, we believe that it is way past time to Rethink Traditional Beliefs: For way too long, our industry was run on unproven assumptions, myths and false beliefs. It is time for a more empirical approach. Any set of market beliefs has to be based on more than a hunch, they must be also backed up by data and hard evidence. Unfortunately, this is not what much of traditional Wall Street does.

Last, we want to pursue the truth, wherever it takes us. This means investigating to the best of our abilities the data that underlies the market; the policies of the various institutions that impact those markets, including Central Banks, Congress, the SEC, and public companies themselves. The pursuit of Truth has not been a traditional Wall Street value, but it is one of ours. If that means we are, to use a word that has become cliched, Disruptive, so be it.

Our core values include Transparency, Honesty, Integrity. Its how we have presented ourselves over the years, and its how we believe we should run a money management firm.  The clients should know exactly what we do, how we do it, and what it is going to cost them.

We have more announcements coming up over the next few weeks that you will find intriguing. Stay tuned . . .

Barry Ritholtz, CIO
Ritholtz Wealth Management
90 Park Avenue, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10016
212-455-9122

Info -at- RitholtzWealth -dot- com

If you have any general information questions, please email me

Category: Investing

46 Responses to “Announcing: Ritholtz Wealth Management

1. ottnott says:

Congratulations!

The asset management industry needs people like you. I hope you attract some good staffers who love asset management work but feel pressured by their employers to put profit before ethics and the customers.

I’m looking forward to learning more about your plans.

2. Jim says:

Congratulations! I wish you and your team continued success in your endeavors.

3. ironman says:

Wow – that’s a big deal! Congratulations, and good luck!

4. Chief Tomahawk says:

Congrats! I am sure there are many who will benefit from this undertaking.

[Registering with the SEC?! That's one of those 3-letter combos which makes me think of the old Mickey Mouse group song... "M-i-c, k-e-y, m-o-u-s-eeeeee!!!!"... ]

5. Frilton Miedman says:

Congratulations.

Josh is one of the reasons I DVR F-money, I frequently find myself rewinding after he speaks to make sure I got the details, he clearly falls within the above mentioned guidelines of seeking the truth, parsing bias.

TBP blog has given me an alternative take for years, often contrary to pundit consensus.

Together, you’ll kick ass – I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you two disagree, that’ll be where the revelations come from.

6. StudsTerkel says:

Just curious, BR (or JB)… how is this different from what you were doing before?

• Its similar, ecept we now run the show.

Its a function of control — before we had some (even a decent amount), now ALL decisions are made by us.

And, we get to reinvest in the business in the way we think best — the new hires, tools, software, consultants, etc. are now all within our control. Thats a huge change

• abhimisra1 says:

Barry, this is great news! Congratulations! Best wishes and good luck. Cannot wait for the venture to be up and running….pls keep the details coming :)

7. linhdtu says:

Barry,
    I have been reading the blog for a while, 2-3 yrs I think and I understand until now you are and have been managing “money” (ie client money). So my question is that how is this new idea different from what you are currently doing ? Thanks.

8. Bridget says:

Congratulations!

What is the minimum account size you plan to handle? :)

9. louis says:

Best of luck to you and your team.

10. All ill be revealed in the coming days

For now, I have my handsful with lots of things — plus I am heading over to Bloomberg to discuss Larry Summers.

More to come!

11. 4whatitsworth says:

Congratulations! It’s great to have your own bloody thing but be warned being an entrepreneur is like being in a permanent state of puberty the highs are higher and the lows are lower. Speaking of which make sure you have a good banker, a squeaky clean accountant, and a lawyer that is smarter than you.

12. farmera1 says:

Got to ask how is this different than in the past and what are the minimum investments?

13. davedk says:

Congratulations to you and the team, and good luck!

14. hammerandtong2001 says:

Wow! Congratulations and good luck.

Will look forward to hearing more details: min. account size, investment strategies, etc.

I actually thought this would happen sooner or later.

15. wally says:

All the best to you in this endeavor!
    I’ll try to get some wealth accumulated so it can be managed.

16. rhodium says:

Wonderful news. Now I have a reason to double my investment in lottery tickets.

17. theexpertisin says:

There is no better feeling than the freedom, and responsibility, of running your own business. If more folks took this avenue of endeavor our country would be a far different, better place.

Best wishes.

18. The Window Washer says:

congratulations
    Another minimum account size request.
    As soon as you tell us account size everyone will blurt out “Fees?”
    I’m working with a family member who’s about to set up account.

19. panskeptic says:

Two thirds of the new businesses in this country go under in less than a year. If more folks took this avenue, there’d be less available parking at the bankruptcy courts. Feelings of freedom and responsibility are not enough – you need brains and luck.

Somehow I’m sure you’ll defy the odds. Break a leg.

20. TacomaHighlands says:

Have you got a Tsunami Warning System for clients with long term horizons and well balance portfolios? My people have developed a Tsunami Warning System that acknowledges a list of things that could go wrong. Three elements seek to provide an escape route/protection strategy. If 2 of 3 warnings go off there’s a call to consider adding tactical overlays to the asset allocation process. It’s Ankrim stuff.

21. ngoyne01 says:

Just don’t you or DJB quit blogging.

22. stonedwino says:

Best wishes and good luck. What’s the minimum investment with the new firm? I would certainly consider it…

23. J. Wenger says:

Completely agree with ottnott…Congratulations! Looking forward to that 2014 announcement regarding account size.

24. mpappa says:

Congratulations. I worked in 90 Park. Great location.

25. diogeron says:

Great news. Speak the truth (small “T”) and make $.

26. Tacomaman says:

Way to go BR! Congratulations to you and your team. Glad to know we will still have access to your knowledge and insight.

27. beardfist says:

OMG MARKET TOP!

28. rlux says:

Congratulations from another longtime reader!

29. sellstop says:

congratulations Josh, and to BR on his new team and idea.
    I still click on TRB……

ghickey

30. Richard W. Kline says:

Congrats. You folks know your shyte from shinola, have a method one can follow, and by all accounts actually treat investor interests with more than lip service (the rarest of all qualities in your profession). This has seemed to be coming for some time, and I hope y’all make the best of it, and don’t get your cash caught in a crack on the Next Big Infarction.

And as far as what this means for your commentary here at TBP, Barry, a commentator can’t really know without getting in there hands on, so I see your dual tracks as mutually reinforcing. Seconding the above, more like y’all would be better for all.

Doubt I’ll ever have sufficient assets in a pile, let alone one moveable, to remotely qualify as ‘wealth,’ so I don’t see myself pinging on your door anytime soon. A couple bottles of fine wine, an entrancing vision or three, and decent cardio-pulmonary functioning are about the extent of my ‘asset base,’ but I’ll call that wealth enough for one man . . . .

31. FrViper says:

Good luck!! Keep us retirees in mind for investments. Getting to the reinvestment mode, ie. no mortgage, no payments and extra monies to invest for our grandchildren’s future (hell can’t change our life style of budgeting,etc. and running out of world travel). Preservation, but some risk for inflation and education? With luck a 10 year window.

32. Trevor says:

Well done, and congratulations!

TBP is probably the most thought-provoking websites/blogs I’ve had the pleasure to read during the past several years. With your current move I suspect that you’ll have even more freedom to discuss the truth, and jiggle my grey cells; both of which I really enjoy. :-)

All the best for the future.

33. abhimisra1 says:

Hopefully soon, will have enough wealth that can be growable in good hands. Cannot wait for this to take off!

34. pielou says:

Bravo et felicitations a tous les deux!
    Pierre

35. RW says:

A big move but one you (and Josh) were clearly ready for …congratulations and best wishes for success.

36. DeDude says:

Congratulations and best of luck. I look forward to hear more details.

37. rd says:

Congratulations on your new endeavour. Looking forward to hearing more about your company’s approach to offering investment advice.

38. PDS says:

Congrats BR…welcome to the club!…what took you so long? ….I guess this means that you will be spending less time on blogging and even on less on MSM appearances to spend more time with your business?…running your own RIA is a full time job and the marketing piece is only one part of it..lots of working parts that will eat up your time now…how do you plan on balancing what appears to be now your full time media persona with the realities of running the business? I’m sure your current and future clients will be asking

39. Alex says:

Barry, you are my single favorite financial blogger, raconteur, even gadfly. You’re almost an alter-ego; I grew up a few miles from where you live, we are about the same age (I think), and we both have technical backgrounds, although I took mine into a career as a mathematician, not into finance. In another life, I might be applying for a job working for you.

But…

Isn’t a proliferation of new investment firms, especially ones headed by well known personalities, one of the surest signs of a market top?

• Dunno, I have never seen data on that.

Instead of 1 shop with 25 people, now there are 2 shops — a new one with 5 and an old one with 20.

We left our old firm because we wanted to do something different, have more control, and be free to drive the direction we were moving into. I am not sure the market had much to do with it.

Besides, I “made my bones” to the downside.

40. [...] non-Taper, the Lehman anniversary, oh, and our little launch has kept your humble author rather [...]

41. [...] team got a ton of press this past week upon our announcement of Ritholtz Wealth Management. It was really nice to see the story catch on and we certainly appreciated the [...]