Click to enlarge

Source: WSJ

Category: Weekend

10 Responses to “Hard-Wired to Hate Exercise?”

1. ciwood says:

For me, the exercise I found (remembered) was table tennis. Our club has 9 members over 60 and 4 over 70. We play for two hours four days a week and it has helped me lose weight and keep my diabetes under control. Pick an exercise that is fun and you can stick with it forever and include your family and friends.

• peggysue says:

This is the best advice on exercise for improved fitness and health.
      Do what you like as often as you like.

For me I exercise my two Brittany’s year round. Weather permitting we are out 4 of every 5 days.
      Measured our course and the minimum we cover is 3 miles. Weight continues to come off slowly and diabetes control is tight.

Peggy

2. TLH says:

Diet and exercise are the key to aging gracefully. Decide if you would rather do this or have more medical problems as you age.

3. mpetrosian says:

Do you feel hard wired to hate exercise, Barry? I fluctuate between slightly out of shape and insanely ripped. Every time I focus for an extended period on quality of diet (eat for energy, not for pleasure) and workout regularly and intensely, there is a break in period where I’m breaking up the neural networks that support my food binges and inactivity and build new ones that reinforce good choices. Your brain doesn’t know the difference between a good and bad habit. Evolve Your Brain by Joe Dispenza is a good book on this. There are few things in this world more enjoyable than taking a couple puffs, grabbing some junk food and cruising TBP on my iPad after a long day. But the feeling I get out of a hard swim; the natural cocktail of endorphins and mental clarity afterwards is one of them. So much of what BR writes on cognitive issues/biases can be applied to this. No, I’m not an idiot troll, I know what I’m talking about on this one. A ripped up in shape BR would be awesome and inspiring to see.

I was a competitive half miler in high school, played soccer, ran longer distance in College, enjoyed swimming, full court hoops, and used to play beach volleyball all summer (2 man + 6 on 6).

Less so these days . . .

4. Jojo says:

How about hard-wired to enjoy exercise?

I’ve worked out all my life, through think and thin, mostly lifting weights, playing tennis and/or hiking. I am at the gym 3 days a week and hike one or two additional days. Today, I’ll probably do 10 mile hike with 2k ft of elevation gain. I eat well and sanely when it comes to portions.

I don’t feel good physically or mentally when I can’t/don’t exercise.

• Richard W. Kline says:

Yeah, baby; I’m with you. Myself, I was never was more than age-level fit until I started using a college gym in my late 20s. My body ate it up like candy, and I’m never _happy_ if I can’t get my workouts in. Been going on over 25 years now: weightlifting always, cycle workout, yoga, pilates, squash as long as I can (we’ll see how my knees like it this season). Used to be 6.5 days a week, but a body gets older. Never been a natural athlete, but my metabolism loved it, and I’ve grown attached to the muscles and rhythm of the days. The world’s best natural anti-depressant also, something much underrated in the sedentary population. Folks, flush away your behavioral pills and book your workout time; you’ll never feel better.

. . . But we’re rare. I can always tell another lifer when I meet them in the club, a minority of a minority, but even most in the gym there aren’t like that, and you see othe exerciser proportion relative to the larger population. The best advice I saw in the graphic is the ‘Right Fit’ part. There is _always_ something that will work for a given person unless they have a major health issue. Most folks don’t keep looking for ‘the one’ but just do what everybody does, dislike it, and give up. Find _your_ workout, and hold to it. Cycling is much underrated for instance, and low impact as well; I expect to return to outdoor cycling more as I get up in age and the costs of the gym work in repetitive motion continue to bite a smidge more.

Folks just sitting have no idea how good they _could_ feel with even a minimal fitness routine. What is ones time in this world worth? I think when I think of them. What’s good about feeling sluggish, achey, and foggy? Because that’s where you are just sitting compared to where you could be. Sez I.

• Jojo says:

Yeah Richard! Your final paragraph gives me the opportunity to throw this little bit of street corner philosophy? on the table:

Too many people eat poorly, don’t get enough sleep, don’t exercise, have high blood pressure, take all kinds of drugs to treat SYMPTOMS (not the underlying problem) and are mired in stress.

To use an automotive analogy, if people were an 8 cylinder engine, it would be fair to say that many people get through each day operating on maybe 6 cylinders. That’s only 75% efficiency. But everyone thinks that 75% operating efficiency is really 100% because they DON’T KNOW how much better they could be.

All it takes is some life changes – try to eat better, try to get more sleep (hey, go out to your car and take a nap at lunch if you don’t have an office to hide in) and try to get some exercise maybe 3 days a week. You can easily cover 4 miles walking in one hour, that’s 12 miles per week, probably 12 miles more than you have been doing…

5. victor says:

Loosely translated Russian saying: “Better with an oversized belly due to overeating than with a hump in the back due to overwork”

6. mpetrosian says:

Yeah, the Russians have it all figured out.