My afternoon reading:

• The 106 Finance People You Have To Follow On Twitter (Business Insider)
• How to Look Under a Hedge Fund’s Hood (WSJ)
• 3 ways Twitter’s IPO won’t be like Facebook’s (Fortune)
• The Business End of Obamacare (The New Yorker)
• CNBC Has Lowest-Rated Quarter in 20 Years (MediaIte)
• A Lonely Housing Bear Predicts a Big Tumble (Bloomberg)
• Delayed payments in 1979 offer glimpse of default consequences (Washington Post) see also When elections used to have consequences (First Read)
• Exploding Fuel Tankers Driving U.S. Army to Solar Power (Bloomberg)
• Climate change sceptics more likely to be conspiracy theorists (The Raw Story)
• Jeff Bezos Had His Top Execs Read These Three Books (Farnam Street)

What are you reading?

Entrepreneurship differs wildly among countries
20131005_gdc503_1190
Source: Economist

Category: Financial Press

14 Responses to “10 Monday PM Reads”

1. RW says:

Sequester Watch, #25

What, nobody wants to talk about sequestration anymore!? It’s all shutdown and default?!

Well, we’re going to continue to collect and document the damage from all of the above.

One budget point here: As Michael Linden has been valiantly yelling about for days now, locking in sequester spending levels in a clean budget patch bill–a “clean CR”–is no victory for humankind. To the contrary, it’s locking in levels of non-defense discretionary spending that are too low to make the investments in public goods–both human and physical capital–that we need. …Be sure to see Annie Lowrey’s piece on this below.

2. farmera1 says:

Oceans face ‘deadly trio’ of threats, study says

And the beat goes on.

3. VennData says:

Instead of following all 106 on Twitter, can I just follow an index of them?

• Winchupuata says:

Haha, nice, but really, 106? Who has time for that?

Having said that, I need to take a look at that list.

4. jaymaster says:

Wow, never would have figured Bezos to be a Drucker fan!

5. S Brennan says:

Ted Rall weighs in on Obamacare

Miracle of miracles, I was finally able to comparison shop on New York State’s healthcare marketplace.

All the plans offered by New York State do not allow you to go “out of network” for healthcare. In other words, you have to use a doctor in each private insurer’s list, or they don’t pay a cent of reimbursement. But — Catch-22 — there’s no way to find out whether your doctor, or your local hospital, or clinic — is on the list because the site’s primitive search function is “disabled” “due to overwhelming response.” Call me underwhelmed.

Then there’s the rates: not low. Not affordable. Not, as Obama said, comparable to your cellphone bill…New York State’s healthcare plans range from Fidelis Care’s “Bronze” plan at $810.84 per month to $2554.71 per month for something I didn’t bother to look up because if I had $2500+ a month to spend on doctors, I’d buy a doctor and have him/her live with me and dole out pills like I was Michael Jackson.

The deductibles — the amount you pay out of pocket every year before you the insurer has to give you anything at all — are outrageously high. Fidelis Care Bronze has a $3000/year deductible per person. I’m in pretty good health; it’s a rare year I spend that much on doctors.

After the $3000/year deductible, they pay 50% of your bills. So if you rack up $5000/year in medical bills, you pay $4000 and they pay $1000. Pretty damned crappy.

Worst of all, and contrary to the Obama Administration’s claims that we’d be able to apply for subsidies to offset these high insurance rates, there’s no sign of how or where you do that on New York State’s website…This experience reminds me of Obama’s Make Home Affordable scheme, the voluntary refinancing plan the big banks used to avoid refinancing mortgages for distressed homeowners. I knew Obamacare would be bad, but I seriously had no idea it would be this bad.

• Anonymous Jones says:

Wait a minute, just wait one minute. Are you trying to explain to us that health care costs in the country are out of control???? That’s nuts!!!

Well, I mean, I guess I did hear that we spend far more per capita than any major advanced nation, but that doesn’t mean health care insurance should be expensive. Insurance should make health care less expensive! Right? Isn’t that how fire insurance works? Everyone wins with fire insurance. Even if my house doesn’t burn down, the insurer repays my premium. With interest! Wait, it doesn’t? Are you sure? That sounds fishy. This is probably a scam.

OK, seriously, I cannot imagine what else you would expect from a system with expenses that are completely out of control. The republicans and plutocrats have blocked every type of reform that might put a dent in health care costs. So, yes, as long as health care costs are high, of course insurance is going to be even more expensive. That’s how insurance works! You will be offered protection against catastrophe, but it’s not like you will get free health care, or even less expensive yearly preventative care. That’s not how insurance works. The ignorance astounds.

6. Herman Frank says:

If “the market” and two of your specific major creditors are telling you that you’re not supposed to play with matches while sitting in a hay-stack, then what do you do??! Light another match?

As at July 31, China held $1.28 trillion in U.S. Treasury bonds and Japan held $1.14 trillion, according to Treasury Department data.

7. parsec says:

Barry, some time back you were upset enough with your commenters that you threatened to abolish comments. Now that you have encountered the wisdom of the Marketwatch comment page would you now consider giving a wet sloppy kiss to each of your worst trolls?

8. Low Budget Dave says:

I always thought “New Entrepreneurs” was a silly statistic. In much of the rest of the world, all it reflects is access to capital. In the U.S., it also reflects is the massive number of people who have been fired from their jobs and re-hired as “independent contractors”.

9. slowkarma says:

Delayed payments/default (WP)

How many people think the default talk is basically a bunch of people who like to feel important giving themselves something to feel important about? The Republicans are having trouble holding people in line for the shutdown, which is not particularly consequential unless you fought the blizzard to see Mt. Rushmore last week; does anybody really think they’ll hold them all in line to force a default? I wish there was some rational way to play this on the long end, but I can’t think of one.