My early morning reads:

• Europe Bulls:
…..-Simple math does not support US bulls (MarketWatch)
…..-Wall Street Analyst Crams 700 Years Of Data Into 12 Charts ‘You Can’t Ignore’ (Business Insider)
• Most Americans accumulating debt faster than they’re saving for retirement (Washington Post) see also  Pension Funds Love Wall Street (Bloomberg)
• A Moot Effort to Burnish the Reputation of Goldman Sachs (Dealbook)
• Hamptons Sales Surge Fuels High-End Home Tear-Downs (Bloomberg) see also These houses aren’t bear traps, US optimism du jour (FT Alphaville)
• Return to Reaganomics Seen Reviving U.K. Biotechnology (Bloomberg)
• WSJ Two fer:
…..-Treasury yields fall below 2.5% as investors expect later Fed taper (WSJ)
…..-Investors fretting that companies will find it tough to maintain sky-high margins could be missing the real problem. (WSJ)
• Most of what you are going to do or say today is not essential (Farnam Street)
• Microsoft’s official blog says the latest iPad event was an attempt for Apple to play catch up with Microsoft’s offering (TechNet Blogs) see also How Much Longer Can Apple Ignore The iPad’s Competition? (Buzzfeed)
• Data Visualization Awards (Kantar Information Is Beautiful Awards)
• 27 Actors Who Got Their Starts on Miami Vice (Mental Floss)

What are you reading?

Source: NY Times

Category: Financial Press

11 Responses to “10 Thursday AM Reads”

1. jlj says:

In the 12 charts article chart 9 should be renamed “why bill gross is a genius”

2. scecman says:

Pension Funds Love Wall Street – The author of this article is brilliant! Yes, definitely go with alternative investments when you can guarantee a higher net return (if it was only that easy). He ignores all the usual biases discussed by BR and just assumes a portion of pension funds should be placed in alt investments because they will obviously provide a better return. He provides no data or research to back his opinion (because there is none). And what a shock, the author is a “former financial services executive”.

3. Capitalist Canuck says:

“Most of what you are going to do or say today is not essential”

Most? I would push my number closer to “all”. :(

If only I had been on Miami Vice…

4. coachin2au says:

Yeah, thanks for the Farnam Street post. Taking the rest of the day off seems like a much better use of my time now. I’ll be finding a quiet park bench and rethinking it all.

5. toddp says:

A complete list of books Jeff Bezos makes amazon execs read and discuss at executive book clubs.

6. hue says:

Mrs. Shutdown Works for Vampire Squid (NYTimes)

Obamacare Hysteria? Romneycare Statistics Suggest ACA Enrollment Will Be Slow (New Republic)

AJC: Ga. Lottery Winner Can Get 40 Acres & A Whole Lotta Mules (WaPo)

7. Mike in Nola says:

BR, thanks for the Miami Vice stuff. Showing my age, but it was my favorite show back when. I have many of the shows but they seem really dated now. Maybe I’ll go back and watch some.

Didn’t realize that many people were in it other than Dennis Farina who you couldn’t help noticing. I really liked him in Crime Story which was another Michael Mann cop show that only ran a couple of seasons. It had the same music video feel but it was 1950′s music.

As an aside, when we went to France last year, The Big Lebowski was one of the movies on offer and I had never seen it. Made me realize what a great actor John Turturro is. My wife really likes Oh Brother Where Art Thou in which he plays but you couldn’t tell it was the same guy.
    Compare

8. Lugnut says:

Spending cuts are hurting GDP growth?

Well…duh. When around 14% of the GDP is false spending (i.e. perpertual deficit spending above actual revenue), then of course any cuts towards a balanced budget will negatively impact GDP, as well they should. If were to realize the ‘real’ nominal GDP in this country, it would be considered a depression.

9. willid3 says:

we are just being over run with government workers

hm…facts must be wrong

10. willid3 says:

Fed is going to let banks keep pushing commodities (and metal) prices even higher?

and here we thought maybe we could get a break. but no, can’t impact the banks. must impact the rest of us, by making there is higher prices on what we buy.