My afternoon train reading:

• History says buy (FT Alphaville) see also High profits to keep equity bubble at bay (FT)
• The S&P 500 Has Not Been Particularly Difficult to Beat… (Advisor Perspectives)
• Are Buybacks All They’re Cracked Up to Be? (MoneyBeat)
• Keep the Economists off the Trading Desk (Reformed Broker)
my new favorite tumblr: Strange Bloomberg Headlines (Tumblr)
• Perils in Philosophy for Austerity in the U.S. (NY Times)
• 8 Fascinating Reads (Motley Fool)
• Rich people think the economy is doing just fine. Here’s why that matters. (Washington Post) but see Bill Gross to top 1%: We’ve been lucky, now let’s pay more in taxes (CNN)
• After Walt Mossberg and David Pogue: Waiting for the Next Great Technology Critic (New Yorker)
• Robert Glasper: Jazz for a New Generation (WSJ)

What are you reading?

Changes in Global Prosperity

Source: Harvard Business Review

Category: Financial Press

11 Responses to “10 Thursday PM Reads”

1. hue says:

No, Apple’s Not Trying to ‘Bust Your Phone’ (Gizmodo) Saying Apple plans the obsolescence of iPhones is like saying Dole plans the obsolescence of bananas.

Man Still Trying To Find Right Work-Anxiety, Life-Anxiety Balance (The Onion)

• Bob is still unemployed   says:

> Saying Apple plans the obsolescence of iPhones is like saying Dole plans the obsolescence of bananas.

I think your analogy may not convey the point you hope it does.

Dole is not planning the obsolescence of bananas when Dole encourages people to eat them. Bananas [sorry, I can't resist] literally grow on trees. Bananas are a consumable commodity, i.e., use once and it is gone.

However, the accusation against Apple is that they intend their iOS releases to make older iPhones unusable. That, if true, is planned obsolescence.

Of course, if you meant your analogy to mean that Apple considers iPhones to be a consumable commodity, then your analogy is correct.

• hue says:

The banana analogy was the Gizmodo writer’s. I could have put it in quotes. I read the Times story earlier, then found the Gizmodo story. There were a few analogies in the comments, such as Ford wanting to make the Model A obsolete.

I’m a late adopter. I had a 3G for a long time before upgrading to a 4S about a year ago. I never realized how slow the 3G was until I got the 4S , which probably is slow to the 5. Isn’t planned obsolescent a tech, computer issue forever?

Not all the reads that I coat-tailed to BR’s are an endorsement of the story. Some stories are hey check this out, like the Pantyhose Suicide Caucus this AM, fun silly with red & blue state maps.

2. Bob is still unemployed   says:

A beautiful old photo of the Williamsburg Bridge, circa 1904, taken taken from a 8×10 inch glass negative. If you click on the photo, you can view the full-size version, and count the individual rivets on the bridge tower.

• willid3 says:

oxen yoke? its from way back, before Persian empire, Greece. was what agriculture work in ancient times

3. Francisco Bandres de Abarca says:

New weather satellite technology on deck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwU2VNej1U

Halloween theme: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/running-ponies/2013/10/31/happy-halloween-heres-your-ocean-werewolf/

For tonight’s Halloween festivities, I’ll be going as Poncho Votivo–herbicidal bandit. If I happen to run into someone dressed as a soybean nematode cyst, you know there will be trouble. (That joke always seems to play better in Kankakee than NYC.) My brilliant girlfriend will be going as (with a nod to the Billy Joel song) Rosalinda, the genetically-modified Mexican jumping bean. There will be a sizable representation of the Whole Foods crowd at tonight’s parties, so we may be scaring the bacheezes out of that group.

Have fun out there!

4. willid3 says:

the latest new navy ship is going to captained by

Jame kirk

5. Bob A says:

Seriously… wouldn’t it make more sense for DC to buy the project, open the roads, and raise gas taxes to pay for it?

6. winstongator says:

Isn’t the humble nail the example Smith used in his idea of division of labor?

For as prominent as The Wealth of Nations is as a work, the most ardent ‘free market capitalists’ show their ignorance when they overlook the primacy of the division of labor.

7. abstutz says:

Good press for Robert Glasper. I just discovered him a few months back by chance while listening to a track that Mos Def (aka yasiin bey) had appeared on and I got pulled right into a Glasper wormhole on spotify. Definitely worth a listen.