The Real Cause of the Crisis: Forget Partisan Rhetoric … The Threatened Government Shutdown Is Caused By Bad Policy By BOTH PARTIES
Preface: Remember what the Founding Fathers said about partisan soap operas.
While partisans focus on specific things the other side is doing – “Obamacare” and the “debt ceiling” are the buzzwords of the day – the truth is that we wouldn’t be in this budget crisis in the first place if the government hadn’t engaged in bipartisan idiocy by:
- Killing the Golden Goose of the internet economy – by far the strongest section of the U.S. economy – through mass surveillance, which directly harms internet companies, Silicon Valley, California … and the entire U.S. economy (Facebook lost 11 millions users as of April mainly due to privacy concerns … and that was before the Snowden revelations)
- Encouraging American businesses to move abroad for decades, sucking money out of the U.S. economy and injecting it into foreign economies
- Fighting a series of wars – which are horrible for the economy – when not absolutely vital to protect against an imminent attack
- Giving massive subsidies to the giant banks, saving the big banks at taxpayer expense, choosing the banks over the little guy, and saying no to helping Main Street … while continuing to throw trillions at the giant banks
- Throwing money at other corporate welfare queens
- Propping up the bondholders … which is killing the rest of the economy
- Engaging in massive quantitative easing, which drains the government coffers, hurts the economy and the little guy, and more than offsets any savings from budget cuts in other areas (a huge portion of the money from quantitative easing went to foreign companies. More here and here)
- Engineering a “jobless recovery” which is really a redistribution of wealth from the little guy to the big boys … which hurts the overall economy
- Allowing an over-financialized economy, which leads to depressions
- Spending large amounts of money on a failed drug war
- Allowing giant corporations to escape paying taxes – or even allowing them to get tax refunds – while slamming the small business owner and little guy (we at Washington’s Blog aren’t partisan one way or the other, but we are for fairness. Moreover, small businesses create a lot more jobs than big businesses)
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.
10 Responses to “Government Shutdown Caused By Bad Policy By Both Parties”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.