Last week, I posted a teaser about a Big Announcement Next Week. As part of that, I need to gather a short list of favorite posts. Here are a few I really like:

Q&A: The Price of Paying Attention (November 3rd, 2012)

Where Sea Monsters Live (May 1st, 2012)

Five Books: on Causes of the Financial Crisis  (September 17th, 2013)

The Left Right Paradigm is Over: Its You vs. Corporations (September 2010)

Advice to a Young Market Participant (March 5th, 2010)

Foreclosure Fraud Reveals Structural & Legal Crisis (October 5th, 2010)

10 Things You Don’t Know (or were misinformed) About the GS Case (April 23rd, 2010)  also Its the Law, Bitches!  (July 19th, 2010)

NAR Housing Affordability Index is Worthless (August 13th, 2008)• Greatest American Rock and Roll Band? (December 21, 2003)

The Collossal Gall of Bad Apple Investors (February 8th, 2013)

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the studio tonight . . . (November 1st, 2003)

I am completely biased and lack any pretense of objectivity, so I need some help.

If any of you ever read a post here that struck a nerve, or that you emailed, or forwarded, or otherwise was memorable, please let me know in comments or at Thebigpicture -at- optonline -dot- net.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

UPDATED: To include your suggestions . . .

Category: Digital Media, Weblogs

32 Responses to “Memorable Big Picture Posts?”

1. Lariat1 says:

Short but sweet: The Cognitive Dissidents, November 14, 2011

2. Jim says:

Barry,
    Your end of year mea culpa posts. Here is one:

You admit your mistakes and try to learn from them and you do it publicly. That takes courage and is worthy of respect. Too many who put themselves out there fail to admit when they are wrong or that they made mistakes.

Keep up the good work.

3. maspablo says:

BR your scaring me . I understand your gonna make changes , and any thing that helps your business I do understand . but ??….

I hope we still have access to old blog and posts .

4. kd says:

Asking a big question. I avidly read your blog. some of favorites: Big Lie (and all the posts redoing the Big Lie); Being a Long Term Investor in a Short Term World 10-13-13; What Do You Control 5-13-13; Advice to a Young Market Participant 3-5-10; anything on music; Advice as if the Sun Is Coming Up Tomorrow 10-13-13

• Biffah Bacon says:

Seconded. The Big Lie series was an incredible aid at explaining what was really going on and separating that data driven vision of events from the morality tale being marketed by various political and economic agents with clear and obscured agendas.

5. a guy called john says:

Hey Barry, Revived a long dormant account for this thread. Where’s the old site now — the pastel-y one? Looks like it’s gone now. I just poked around on archive.org a bit looking for it.

My most memorable post of yours was one that went something like “WTF is happening in the [some mortgage bond] market?!” There was a graph that was basically stable for months and then *bam* a woosh down. Know which one I’m talking about?

It was *the* first post I saw anywhere where someone pointed out that the s*** was hitting the fan. I remember being at Lollapalooza that year thinking about that exact post, looking out at the crowd and thinking “No one has any clue what’s coming…”

6. cbatchelor says:

Some of my favorites by Barry include:
    What’s Wrong with the Financial Services Industry?
    February 21, 2013

Basics of Bond Investing
    July 20, 2012

The Point of Laws and Regulatons
    March 1, 2012
    ————————————
    But, this anonymous comment that I have pasted below at the end of “guest post” by Philippa Dunne & Doug Henwood is my all-time number one:

I don’t need arcane curves or obscure economic theory to understand what is going on with labor markets and the economy. The economy has shifted from a productive economy to a consumption economy over the past thirty to forty years. Instead of making things people use, we flip burgers or create profits out of nothing.

Since the uber-wealthy are now the finance elite, when they blew up the economy, they had the government rebuild the parts they cared about: finance and banking. No one rebuilt bakeries, hardware stores, factories, or assembly plants. And the bankers realized that they no longer needed realtors, mortgage lenders, or home builders to continue their Ponzi scheme. They could simply siphon trillions directly from the government and continue to inflate various bogus economic instruments like the DJIA. People could be fired en masse, not rehired EVER, and Wall Street could make money than ever from what is turning into a virtual economy.

So, the question as to why people can’t find jobs has a simpler answer than skill mismatch. The jobs don’t exist. The Masters of the Universe don’t need you. Think about it; for the last part of the credit bubble they did not need anything real to make money; virtual CDS’s, virtual mortgages, virtual stocks, virtual commodities.

There is no economic recovery. Stock markets have become meaningless indicators for 99 percent of America. I expect soon to read about Goldman’s thriving derivatives market based on unemployment rates.

So, enjoy the Dow at 15 000 or 20 000 because you have money and a job on Wall Street. But fuck the poor, the middle class and all the other “losers” without the skills to steal trillions from our country.
    #

7. Chief Tomahawk says:

During the Lehman meltdown, Dick Fuld spewed pr blaming the behavior of short sellers. The Big Picture took Fuld to task for being a horribly, nightmarishly badly managed investment bank. Don’t know the post, but kudos for cutting through Fuld’s shameful crapola.

8. beaufou says:

I’ll vote for this one Barry since it is a problem that still plagues the economy and has not been addressed.

9. graphrix says:

Honestly… I think it’s a tie with these two posts. I got in after the early June post with put options on LEH, and was thankful for the late June post of confirmation. Which I rode out until September. No joke, no BS… and honestly I just wish I put more on the line. Regardless, I learned a lot from it and will always be thankful.

10. Potato says:

Hi Barry, one post I’ve referenced a number of times is the one on the uselessness of the housing affordability index: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/08/nar-housing-affordability-index-is-worthless/

11. grimreaper says:

I’ve bookmarked the most pertinent articles I’ve read by website these last five or six years (“Best Minyanville, Naked Capitalism, dShort,” etc.) “Best Barry” is in the lead and pulling away (150 odd and counting.)

Beyond the tiniest shadow of doubt in my mind, there is none more salient than http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/09/you-vs-corporations/, period.

Mussolini would approve.

12. Toktora says:

Barry,

I really loved your dismantling of the National Association of Realtors releases and the jobs stats during the collapse. These really helped open the mind as to HOW the headline numbers are assembled as well as the spin involved in polishing a turd when it is needed.

13. hue says:

Ayn Rand: The Boring Bitch is Back

Discuss: Barack Obama is a Liberal Republican

I’m not sure if they were single posts, but you turned positive on equities shortly after the March 09 bottom. Comments weren’t moderated like they are now, and commenters were so negative. Then a year later(???), you were stopped out and had no or very little equities, and the market tanked shortly after.

14. EdMcGon says:

Sorry Barry, but while I like your posts very much, the most memorable post on TBP goes to John Mauldin, from June 2011:

I bought some NanoViricides (NNVC) stock as a result of that post (after due diligence, of course), and it has done remarkably well for me.

15. Slash says:

I kinda liked the one where we all ragged on Steve Ballmer. And the one(s) where we did the same to “Lawrence” Summers.

Good times.

16. MooseKnuckles says:

Barry,

I work with many up and coming coroporate lawyers from around the world who come to work in NYC and ask me for background on the financial world, and for a perspective they cannot glean form textbooks or the editorial page of newspapers. I send them to your blog and make the followng posts mandatory reading for future discussion. I cannot thank you enough for each of these.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/09/you-vs-corporations/ http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/08/understanding-context-housing-boom-bust/

17. Joe says:

How far do you want to go back? “How to invest in Enron from the highs to Bankrupcy and still have money left over?” Apprenticed Investor series from your TSC days….

18. leeward says:

The appeal of TBP for me is the breadth of quality insight that points towards other vetted sources. And while I’m still laughing about the Ferarri vid posted this last weekend, I remember a post series you did 7 or probably 8 years ago called Tracking Elephants. I would love to see, sometime, an update on how structural changes since then have changed visibility in markets and how they are reasonable and maybe also perspective on the benefits overall to market function. Are any of these changes analogous, in your view, to other developments in the bigger picture? Thanks for being a top trusted resource.

19. MikeR44 says:

After reading your 4-23-2010 post on G S I’m interested in finding out the effectiveness of Robert Khuzami in reaching a settlement with Goldman. Did he come close to doing what you thought he could? If you have covered this a a more recent column can I access it? Aloha, Mike

20. [...] teased this last week, mentioned it again Monday, and now the news is finally out: I am joining the team at Bloomberg View as well as the Radio [...]

21. Borderline says:

How about “Why your coffee sucks”?

22. richartruddie says:

Your update on September 11th is your most real post about living through that horrific day and the emotions that came with it. Also from an economic perspective how that day changed things makes it that much more significant to the BP blog.