Good Monday morning, some pre-open reads to feed your brain:

• Best Stock Market Since 1997 Seen With S&P 500 Momentum (Bloomberg) but see Sommers: The Dangers of a Stock Market Melt-Up (NY Times)
• Reduce the noise levels in your investment process (Washington Post)
• Abandon all hope, ye who venture here (FT Alphaville) see also Is Yale a Model? (original research paper) (SSRN)
• Economists overvalue stock markets (Reuters)
• ‘Frontier’ funds have been stars among emerging-markets stock funds this year. (WSJ) but see Emerging-market stocks are up 16% since June, but some analysts find that troubling (WSJ)
• Nicholas Lemann: Can the S.E.C.’s Mary Jo White Control Wall Street? (New Yorker)
• Dear Google, What’s Wrong With You? (TechCrunch)
• Chris Christie is about to win in a landslide, and he wants every Republican to understand why (Business Insider)
• I Noticed This Tiny Thing On Google Maps. When I Zoomed In… Well, Nothing Could Prepare Me. (Viral Nova)
• 12 Unusually Placed Sports Venues (World Geography)

What are you reading\?

Are Stocks Expensive?

Source: Mebane Faber

Category: Financial Press

8 Responses to “10 Monday AM Reads”

1. jtuck004 says:

“He started the Big Picture finance blog in 2003, which now serves primarily as an archive for his Bloomberg work.”

I think that will be the saddest thing I read all week. It’s like seeing an old friend run over by a big, noisy, diesel-belching bus. This blog stood up and out there on it’s own, maybe won’t now.

I flat out disliked the background of the reads and being shunted off somewhere else to find them. They looked hastily thrown together, not up to the usual, but perhaps that’s the transition.

But I suspect you see something good for you in all this, so good luck, and congratulations!!

• Trust me when I tell you there is a method to the madness . . .

• jtuck004 says:

Of that I have no doubt. And I do trust you.

I’m reminded of an old saying…- “When a window opens, a door slams shut somewhere. So watch your fingers”.

Or something like that. ;)

However I’m sure it will mean good things. Congratulations, though. I know it took a lot of hard work to get here.

2. couragesd says:

hope you don’t mind if I post here for now…til I get bloomberg login.

Welcome To The Unicorn Club: Learning From Billion-Dollar Startups

3. rd says:

Shiller, as the good academic, is excited about the Blackstone securities coming out so that everybody has the opportunity to own part of the single family housing rental market as it will make it much easier to be able to do studies of valuations etc. in the housing marketplace (the primary reason for buying a security that I am always looking for when investing): http://www.businessinsider.com/shiller-blackstone-product-good-for-housing-2013-11

As the cynical, paranoid investor (well maybe not paranoid, since you are only paranoid if they really aren’t out to get you), I racked and racked my brains trying to recall something about Blackstone….. and then it came to me.

Blackstone is the company that IPO’s itself in 2007 after making themselves filthy rich as a private private equity firm for the previous 20 years. At about the same time, they also bought out Sam Zell’s properties (another legendary private investor) and immediately sold all of them off – I believe most of the buyers of those subsequently took a long, cold bath over the next couple of years.

As far as I can tell, Blackstone offering pieces of their investments to the public so the public can share in their largesse is one of the best “sell” indicators of the past two decades. From a timeliness perspective, it is probably much better than Shiller’s CAPE.

4. digistar says:

I share jtuck004′s sentiments.

You are obviously achieving lift-off of some sort in your commenting career.

Sadly, I won’t be signing up on Bloomberg to post comments. I’m not on the social media grid, so they won’t let me.

Hope others of your former commenting class do because that was a very important part of the Big Picture.

Good luck Barry. It was real while it lasted.

5. hawks5999 says:

Your left justified bio box really messes with the flow of your morning reads. Maybe you move your image to the top and the list of reads below.