I am a born and bred New Yorker who loves our pizza. But I also appreciate Chicago pizza like Eduardo’s and Malnati’s. These segments not only resonated, but were hilarious:

Chicago takes exception to Jon’s rant against the Windy City’s signature deep-dish cuisine.

Strife of Pie

(04:25)

In this exclusive, Jason Jones, Steve Buscemi, Matthew Broderick, and Michael Strahan congratulate Chicago on having edible pizza.

Exclusive – New York Pizza is Magic

(02:14)

Fourth-generation Chicago pizza maker Marc Malnati shares a deep-dish pizza with Jon.

Strife of Pie – A Pizza Truce

(02:49)

Pizza segment begins at 3:59

Original Segment that started the tiff

Category: Food and Drink, Humor, Television, Travel, Weekend

16 Responses to “TDS Pizza War: New York vs Chicago”

1. supercorm says:

Too bad the videos are not available in my region. Pizza style was always up for fights … even in Italy where Napoli has the thin but chewy crust (my favorite, especially with wine), Roma style is thin but crispy crust, and Genoa style, in the north, is thick and more like a pie (which is my favorite before a sport game on TV, especially with beers).

2. theexpertisin says:

Chicagoans who lived in the bowels of the city away from the glitter of the Magnificent Mile, within the near west suburbs such as Cicero and Berwyn back in the day knew nothing of the deep dish pizza. That was a marketing creation of others. The only pizza close to a deep dish was produced at the near west side Home Run Inn Pizza shop on the near west side beginning in the 1930′s. Local pizzarias, many of them owned by first generation Sicilians who had access to great local butchers and sausage-makers, catered to mob kingpins and the local working class folks alike.

The Sicilians and other ethnic groups prized a thin crust pizza with several thin applications of Italian/Sicilian cheese cheese topped with home made Italian sausage meatballs, topped with oregano, some fennel seed and a splash of olive oil to lube it up. Pepperoni was as rare as ketchup on a Chicago hot dog.

But enough of pizza. What is a Chicago favorite to those who know is the Italian Beef sandwich. To get my fix here in coastal Carolina, I ship in the beef from a supplier in Chicago along with the Italian bread (from Turano bakery), the fixins (real giardinera – hot and mild from Dell A’lpe, which is a mixed pepper condiment in salt and olive oil) and sport peppers. Along with the absolutely divine gravy and Italian style sauteed sweet peppers, this is a gift from God to the taste buds.

New Yorkers don’t know what they are missing.

3. VennData says:

You can get decent pizza in New York, like you can set decent Egg Fu Yung in Dublin. But going to Chicago for pizza is akin to visiting the Emerald Isle and having a Guinness.

4. bmz says:

Only an expert “Pizza flipper” can create a NY style pizza; hence, we have all these other abominations some call “_______style” pizza.

5. GoBigRed says:

I don’t know how Chicago gets to take credit for deep dish pizza. I grew up on the Jersey Shore and many pizzerias there, run by real Italian immigrants, offered a deep dish pie that was called “Sicillian” pie. Regardless, with what all we know about gluten today, Chicago can keep their deep dish pizza.

6. tracycoyle says:

I started my working career in Palermo’s Pizza on the Southside of Chicago. Considered one of the top 5 in the City. Thin crust, lots of cheese, handmade sausage and a sweet sauce. They introduced a deep dish in 1975, sauce where it belongs, between the crust and the toppings. I know Malnati’s. Good pizza but I don’t like the sauce on top.

I’ve had New York pizza, greasy, limp crust, one piece of sausage per square meter….who wants to roll their pizza slice like a cannoli? Really…just makes the greasy mess slide easier I guess. Look, if I want something greasy, I’ll order some Sliders and get more meat out of it.

Sorry NY, you’ve been eating crap pizza for so long you think it is gourmet. Wake up your tastebuds from their coma…get some GOOD pizza….from Chicago.

7. ashpelham2 says:

I’ve eaten pizza in both of those locales and not had a piece I didn’t like. Deep dish, thin crust, NY Style, Chicago Style, etc, etc…My favorite kind of pizza is pizza.

8. supercorm says:

Pizza is overrated, Poutine is the best … you just cant get that in NY or Chicago (I think ?!?!).

Want a real debate, baguels. Montreal baguels far better than NY :)

• OMG, our neighbor is from Montreal, and she says the same thing!

Wants to open a Montreal bagel shop in NYC. (I think it would be more efficient to just burn the money)

9. supercorm says:

Gloves are off … I’m starving now … we can discuss this at Le pIed de Cochon whenever you want !

10. seythesage says:

One cannot compare thin crust pizza and deep dish pizzas. They are so different they are different kinds of animals. Whether you like one over the other is nothing more than a matter of personal taste.
    However, you can compare thin pizzas. Having eaten in both N.Y. and Chicago, I prefer the Chicago thin crust pizza way more than a N.Y. one.

I actually prefer the Chicago deep dish pizza over all others. Many of you posters have it wrong as to its beginning. A pizza owner of Pizzaria Uno, a man by the name of Sewel in the 1940s wanted a pizza to be filling enough to satisfy as a whole meal. He thus invented deep dish pizza. Even with deep dish pizzas as in thin pizzas in both towns also differ in quality and taste from one pizzaria to another. Lou Malnattis in Chicago serves nowhere near the best deep dish pizza. He is just the best marketer.

The mark of a good deep dish pizza is the use of fresh tomatoes and sauce, oregeno & other seasonings not so overpowering but not subtle either, and plenty of thick cheese. Also the crust must not be crunchy or gooey, but somewhere in between.

The mark of a good thin pizza is a gooey like cheese consistency. Hardened crusty pizza is a no-no.
    Again, fresh tomatoes and sauce with no overpowering spices. Finally, the crust should also not be hard or gooey but rather in-between the in consistency.

Chicago wins hands down in spite of New Yorkers superiority complex that makes too many of them think the world begins and ends within its borders. …..Not!

• theexpertisin says:

You are an articulate pizzologist, seythesage.

My personal Holy Grail of the real Chicago pizza, the thin crust as you describe, is Villa Nova Pizza near Pershing Road and Oak Park Ave. in the old adjacent suburb to Cicero/Berwyn, Stickney. Over seventy years tossing up the same great work of art.

On my occasional visits to the old stomping grounds, a pizza (NOT a “pizza pie”) at Villa Nova is a must eat.

11. seythesage says:

Oh yeah. Pizza is not a pie. It is Pizza. Only non-Chigagoans, I think only on the east coast refer to it as pizza pie. The same thing with soda pop. Soda has ice cream, flavored syrup and carbonated water and is eaten with a spoon. Pop is, well pop. Soda to you New Yorkers, and in all fairness to you, it is known as Soda in the rest of the country except in Chicago and I think St. Louis.

Nobody right or wrong here. Except I have yet to meet a New Yorker that doesn’t think they have the best of everything in the entire universe. Don’t misunderstand. I love New York but not is brashness.
    It may have wrested the title of tallest building in the U.S. from Chicago, but a: the Willis (nee) Sears tower is architecturally much prettier than the new WTC bldng. In fact, the original design for that bldg. which was scrapped was much more beautiful than the one decided on by committee. Such a pity.

12. Rohr says:

Yeah- I’m another Chicago apostate… thin crust is where it’s at; especially well done crispy. Agree with those who dis NY pizza as too soft a lot of the time. That said, agree with those who mention that Malnotti’s maybe not the best in town. There are many artisan pizza styles, and some of the thicker stuff is actually quite good. Just have to be ready to hit the neighborhoods.

13. [...] that rebalancing among these four didn’t work was a bit disingenuous. If you went on an all-Chicago-deep-dish-pizza diet and didn’t lose any weight, you wouldn’t exactly be justified in declaring that diets [...]