Good Sunday morning. Here’s what I’m reading with my morning coffee:

• Money and Inflation (Economist’s View)
• Twitter’s Ballooning Market Cap (WSJsee also Twitter’s stock has nearly tripled since its IPO last month, making the IPO among the best-performing of 2013 (WSJ)
• Seven things you should know about the expiration of unemployment benefits (Washington Post)
• New York: A concrete legacy (FT) see also Signs of Change in News Mission at Bloomberg (NY Times)
• Does journalism have a future? (TLS)
• Be A Learning Machine (Seeking Wisdom) see also Investment: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics (Library of Economics and Liberty)
• NCAA’s Big Gay Choice: Chick-fil-A or Equality? (Daily Beast)
• Climate myths: Global warming stopped in 1998 (New Scientist) see also Utilities Feeling Rooftop Solar Heat Start Fighting Back (Bloomberg)
• Quotes Uncovered: How Lies Travel (Freakonomics)

What’s for brunch?

Stock Rally Fails to Spur Big Inflows into Mutual Funds

Source: WSJ

Category: Financial Press

12 Responses to “10 Sunday AM Reads”

1. ifish says:

Good morning.

That’s strange.

Please see the following link below for chart re: strength / performance of bonds ($AGG, $JNK, $MBB and $USB) in relation to $SPY since October 2011.

Happy New Year all.

2. RW says:

There’s always another side to a story, usually more than one actually.

An Open Letter to the Makers of The Wolf of Wall Street, and the Wolf Himself

I believed everything my father told me. I believed it was the government’s fault he was going to prison and leaving his little princess, I believed it was your fault, Jordan Belfort. I believed that by taking out all those credit cards in my name, my father was attempting to save me. I believed him when he got out, and when he told me everything would be OK. …

So here’s the deal. You people are dangerous. Your film is a reckless attempt at continuing to pretend that these sorts of schemes are entertaining, …. We want to get lost in what? These phony financiers’ fun sexcapades and coke binges? Come on, we know the truth. This kind of behavior brought America to its knees. …

But hey, listen boys, I get it. I was conned too. By. My. Own. Dad! I drove a white Range Rover in high school, snorted half of Colombia, and got any guy I ever wanted because my father would take them flying in his King Air.

• I think her real issue is with her father, not Scorcese or DiCaprio.

• rd says:

I have been reading quite a bit of the coverage on Jordan Belfort. Unless, I have missed something, there isn’t a clear garnishing of his royalties for the book and movie to pay back victims. In fact, he appears to be contesting his requirement to provide restitution.

Personally, I have decided not to see the movie until I know that the royalties are going to the victims’ funds. I am getting very tired if financial criminals profiting from their crimes with little or no jail time. People are focused on income inequality in this country, but the justice system inequality is probably an even bigger issue as it is a major element in driving the income inequality.

3. hue says:

The Strange Case of Dr. Hayek and Mr. Hayek (Journal of Social and Political Studies) yup, reads like academic journal

Todd Harrison: The 2013 Stock Market Seems Like Old Times (Minyanville)

Dunning-Krugerands? I Want Bitcoins to Die in a Fire (Charlie’s Diary) The Greatest Investment Opportunity Since Dogecoin (The Atlantic)

4. rd says:

I have believed for a while that the alternative energy subsidies would have been better positioned in creating a smart utilty grid than individual subsidies. Local generation is going to become more important and the coming revolution in electric vehicles will make it much more important as the demand for electricity rises. I think we will eventually get to the point where places like Hawaii are using excess power from the day to store energy in pumped storage facilities to provide robust night-time power. However, that is going to take a sea-change in how everybody thinks about energy. It would be nice if Congress could stop bickering for a few minutes to start thinking about these types of issues that could be important gateways to the future.

We are seeing another example of Moore’s Law and other rapid technoolgy advances outstripping public policy. We are still dealing with the legacy of the switch from the coal-derived manufactured gases common in the late 1800s and early 1900s around the world as the sites are still getting cleaned up by utilities or udner Superfund. These were all sites that were suddenly made obsolete when Edison’s electric system and oil and natural gas from the petroleum revolution replaced the manufactured gases. A little bit of forethought at this juncture would beuseful, but I am not holding my breath.

5. Jojo says:

This Is the Man Bill Gates Thinks You Absolutely Should Be Reading
    11.25.13

“There is no author whose books I look forward to more than Vaclav Smil,” Bill Gates wrote this summer. That’s quite an endorsement–and it gave a jolt of fame to Smil, a professor emeritus of environment and geography at the University of Manitoba. In a world of specialized intellectuals, Smil is an ambitious and astonishing polymath who swings for fences. His nearly three dozen books have analyzed the world’s biggest challenges–the future of energy, food production, and manufacturing–with nuance and detail. They’re among the most data-heavy books you’ll find, with a remarkable way of framing basic facts. (Sample nugget: Humans will consume 17 percent of what the biosphere produces this year.)

His conclusions are often bleak. He argues, for instance, that the demise of US manufacturing dooms the country not just intellectually but creatively, because innovation is tied to the process of making things. (And, unfortunately, he has the figures to back that up.) WIRED got Smil’s take on the problems facing America and the world.