My pal Jan has one of these for sale; Its a 100 point car,

The Toyota 2000GT been called Japan’s million-dollar E-type, going most recently for $1.2m.

I think I can save you a few $100k on the car if anyone wants to buy one . . .

Screen shot 2013-12-12 at 6.56.40 AM

Source: RM Auctions

Category: Markets

17 Responses to “1967 Toyota 2000GT”

1. chartist says:

The styling does more than hint at a Ferrari 1964 250 GTO influence. The profile looks more Ferrari than Jaguar, just saying.

2. BennyProfane says:

And, it was a Bond car.

3. mrw1952 says:

sweet

4. Internet Tourettes says:

I saw one when I was a kid and still remember it….. Please post an update when your buddy sells his car. So many people are trying to use collectable cars as investment vehicles (pun intended) these days it would be interesting to see how he does with his sale. He might want to try submitting it to bring a trailer for more exposure….. http://bringatrailer.com/

5. b_thunder says:

IMHO Barry pal’s timing is spot-on. Yes, this is a rare and extremely valuable car, but the entire high-end of the classic car market is (IMHO) one epic bubble. The time to sell high-end cars, art, other collectibles is now, while the investor confidence is still at all time high and before all “other” assets (equities, bonds, business equity) start losing value due to rising rates and cause overall confidence to drop.

6. BennyProfane says:

Makes me think of a recently killed car, the Pontiac Solstice, especially the GT version, which was scheduled for release just as GM exterminated the Pontiac division. I think a few were made, and, who knows, in twenty years, some may be salivating over the few rare examples on the auction block. I guess some will argue, but one of my favorite American styling exercises in the past few decades.

• Cute. Never going to go for $1m

• BennyProfane says:

Ya never know. That car is rare. Hey, some people drop major coin for Damien Hirst and Jeff Koons junk these days. It’s kinda startling what some things are worth to some people.
        Old race cars in the 60s and 70s were basically trash after the next best thing was developed, and discarded or stored in the back of garages, or even outside. Then, all of a sudden, they became commodities as “vintage racing” became a hobby for the rich. I saw a picture once of AJ Foyt’s fourth Indy winning machine half covered with a tarp and dusty as hell in the back of his shop. Today, some hedgie would pay millions for it.

• guadas says:

Benny – “old race cars” have that “something” that a Solstice (they made a lot of those) will never have…A STORY!! (aka – lineage, provenance, etc). What’s the “story” on a Solstice???…..I was a regular production car and got driven around town. WOWEE!!

Don’t know if anyone ever tried to sell you a bond before but in the bond biz there was typically talk of the “bond story” required to help sell the paper. Sure, those were typically made up but it’s a fair comparison (fake or not-quite-100% true bond story and real car history/story) in that it is what creates the “aura” around the item. In the case of the cars, with documentation/knowledge, the story is WITH THAT CAR for good. It does add value.

Sure, you can say it’s all “psychological” as an XYZ race car is really no different from the stock version of that car. If so, you still don’t get it.

Also, in the car collector world there is the old saying “just because it’s rare, doesn’t mean it’s desirable/valuable”. A car with a real story (racing history with proof, ownership chain in some cases, etc) will typically bring more money…..MUCH MUCH more in many cases.

7. skepticbill says:

Barry, are those pics of your friend Jan’s car? Such great lines. I always thought that car had the best of both worlds, Jag e-type body and Toyota components. Sexy and reliable.

Maybe if you managed my money I could afford it!

8. guadas says:

Local Toyota dealer here owned one. Sat in his showroom as a traffic “draw” (not the they needed it….this was in the late’70/’80s). Unfortunately the dealer got caught up in one of those pesky real estate bubbles back then (and dealership problems as well I believe). We’d wander over there occasionally and just stare at the thing.

You can see quite a bit of Ferrari Daytona in that design as well (Daytona came later).

“100 point car” Barry???? On who’s scale??

• Jan’s — he is a professional appraiser, working for people like Ralph Lauren.

When he broke an ankle some years back and was in a cast, he took me to Brooklyn to drive a Ferrari 275 for appraisal (this was the 1990s) He needed someone who could drive a manual.

Awesome.

9. Joe says:

Don’t buy this sight unseen as a daily driver. Unless you take it for a spin around the block, you can’t appreciate the scale. And ymou better be limber. I’m remembering them as tiny. It’s a era thing. The technology of the time was no place and 300 lbs of steel was a serous cost saving and worth 15% more HP.

10. Giovanni says:

That car is dead sexy. For a little more Toyota GT love James Bond style check out: http://youtu.be/W8eJ8bj2sh0