Good Friday morning, some reads to wrap up your work week::

Coinflip: Gurus Achieve An Astounding 47.4% Accuracy! (Rick Ferri)
• What do you do when your trading system goes wrong?  (A Dash of Insight)
• Putting Emerging Market Stock Losses Into Perspective (A Wealth of Common Sense) see also Dark Side of Capital in Emerging Markets (NY Times)
• You’ll Never Grow Rich Taking A Profit (PsyFi)

Continues here

Category: Markets

12 Responses to “10 Friday AM Reads”

1. hue says:

It Doesn’t Have To Be This Way (TechCrunch)

Why Walking through a Doorway Makes You Forget (Scientific American) Another Cup of Bull Honkey (The Last Word On Nothing)

Study: Watching Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News (Slate)

2. Another gem . . .

“Ignoring what her own neighbors are doing, McMorris Rodgers said on Tuesday that new health care law “is not working.” But if that’s the case, why have nearly one in 12 people in her home county signed up for expanded Medicaid coverage or new private health insurance? . . . What doesn’t make sense is how McMorris Rodgers is so full of animus toward the leading employer of her county, government. Yes, she protects the Air Force base here, as if it’s not really government, and payments to wealthy wheat farmers. But every other form of federal outlay is demonized.”

When Biography Trumps Substance (NYTimes)

• cawarmth says:

They signed up for expanded medicaid coverage because, like me, they probably didn’t have enough income for Obamacare and were told we MUST take medicaid or be fined. What they did not tell me is that when I die the Gov’t can attach my estate for all medicaid costs I incur. (Good luck trying to get an accounting of what that cost is before you die). What a country…more to the point…what an Administration.

3. rd says:

The US legal system has officially gone insane. NASA has been sued for doing inadequate investigation of the “jelly doughnut” rock that has showed up next to a rover on Mars:

4. rd says:

The emerging markets article indicates that emerging markets are an example of the universally held truth that risk gets reqarded in the long-run, unlike slot machines in Vegas where the risk comes with a guaranteed loss over a long enough time frame.

5. Yofish says:

Thank you for the lead to ‘Coin Flip’. It is one of the most worthwhile links in the last several months. Of course, it lead to another ‘Guru’ of sorts but a seemingly worthwhile one. I generally ran fast from anyone that purports to be an expert at anything so the this ferreted site suits my bias:

6. WickedGreen says:

Re: “Ben Bernanke Deserves Our Appreciation” – I’m curious … who is the ‘we’ you are referring to? Surely, in this age of extreme, unprecedented wealth inequality, the author doesn’t mean to imply all of ‘us’? Whose appreciation is “ours”?

“The banking system has been restored to health.” – Really? I guess I missed that announcement.

“The ultimate judgment on Bernanke’s tenure isn’t in.” – Yeah, well, thanks for that. No kidding. I think I’ll wait at least until he has his first not-Chair-anymore bathroom trip, myself.

“… the emergency measures that Bernanke and Hank Paulson introduced back in 2008 eventually stabilized things … ” – yeah, especially the FASB rule suspensions!

Anyone can see that the IndexY at twice what it used to be = more – and thus presume it to be better.

Ben will be judged, as a process, over time, going forward.

7. VennData says:

Emerging Markets article….

“… If you don’t do what the foreign investors say you should do, your currency and your markets will be punished. And if you do what you are told, well, they could be punished anyway…”

Listen to the Far Right! LOL