Stuff you should read:

• Forget Market Timing, and Stick to a Balanced Fund (NY Times)
• Gold Flows East as Bars Recast for Chinese Defying Slump (Bloomberg)
• The Myth of a Stock-Picker’s Market (WSJ)
• Yellen Faces Test Bernanke Failed: Ease Bubbles (Bloomberg)
• Apple reports flat earnings as rising competition offsets rising iPhone and iPad sales. (WSJ) but see Sales of iPhones Set Record for Quarter: 51 Million (NY Times)
• Investment cannot hide North Sea problems (FT)
• The General-Purpose iPad and the Specialist Mac (stratēchery)
• New GOP Health Plan Is White Flag in Obamacare Repeal Fight (Slatesee also Republicans have an Obamacare replacement. Economists will love it, real people won’t. (Washington Post)
• Questions on Port Authority Chairman David Samson’s PATH station vote (NorthJersey.com)
• National Flags Made From Each Country’s Traditional Foods (This Is Marvelous)

I’m cold.  Is anybody else cold?

Many emerging-market currencies are falling against the dollar

Source: Economist

Category: Financial Press

11 Responses to “10 Tuesday PM Reads”

1. Bob is still unemployed   says:

Is Windows 8 Microsoft’s Vista revisited?

Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what’s Microsoft’s next move?

“It’s a low rumble here, there, like a thunderstorm barely heard because it’s so far over the horizon that only the cloud tops can be seen, but the words “Windows 8 is Vista” are starting to leave lips and paint pixels.

“And that has to scare the you-know-what out of Microsoft….”

2. Iamthe50percent says:

“I’m cold. Is anybody else cold?”

I’m cold here in Chicago. It just got up to +2 F, I think it’s the days High. It was -14 F when I woke up.

Remember this is Chicago, not St. Paul.

3. theexpertisin says:

The weather in the South is not nearly as nasty as you folks are experiencing in Yankee land. But the unfamiliarity and inability coping with an icy road and a couple of inches of snow has caused a virtual shutdown. The infrastructure to adequately salt, brine and plow is poor.

Where I reside they call off school because it MIGHT snow or get below freezing. This storm is a big event.

• Iamthe50percent says:

Chicago Public schools have closed for two days because it’s cold, so don’t feel bad. Of course, that’s a lot different from 50 years ago, but so are a lot of things.

4. DiggidyDan says:

Rarest and oldest Porsche car found in good condition and will be displayed in museum: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1401-first-porsche-designed-car-on-display-museum/

OK, maybe not what you were expecting, and definitely not as gorgeous as that last vintage Porsche you posted on the site, but still pretty darn cool if you ask me. A full EV with an almost 50 mile range over a century ago!

5. intlacct says:

“I’m cold. Is anybody else cold?”

Not me. It’s 27C (80F) here. :)

(I do have to travel to UK shortly – dreading…)

6. Conan says:

That’s why I moved years ago to the Caribbean. It was 67 degrees when I woke up this morning, blue skies & a gentle breeze. Now it is 83 degrees & maybe a chance of some light showers.

My firm rule is when I want to see snow, I get on a plane for a vacation to see it. Then after a few days of fun in the snow, back to the sun and beaches.

7. Winchupuata says:

I love creative stuff like those food flags, very cool. The American flag was, hu, interesting.