fake yeild breakoutEarlier this week, we noted that “the Consensus Hates Bonds.” That is a small part of the reason my firm decided to increase our exposure to specific types of fixed income this year after having been significantly underweight bonds in 2013. I mentioned we added preferreds and corporate fixed income, obtaining that exposure primarily though exchange-traded funds.

That struck a chord with J.C. Parets, a chartered market technician. J.C. is founder of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC, and is the author of the blog All Star Charts.

Continues here

Category: Fixed Income/Interest Rates, Sentiment

10 Responses to “Nobody Likes Bonds!”

1. LeftCoastIndependent says:

Keep it short term to be safe.

2. Willy2 says:

My personal opinions:
    - Rates (TNX) bottomed in mid 2012 with the TNX at ~ 1.40%.
    - Rates (TYX) could go down/spike down again, down to ~ 2.5% or ~ 2% in the next ~ 2 to 3 months.
    - After that it’s “Game over’ for the 31 year (1981 – 2012) bull market in government bonds.
    - When the TNX goes up to 5% or higher then it’s “Game over” for the US government as well.
    (GOOGLE the words “Crunch time, Fred Mishkin, Federal Reserve”).
    - The relationship between junk bonds & treasuries seem to be reversing, following the reversal in the direction of the yield curve. This would confirm a reversal in investor confidence.

• Willy2 says:

“Consensus hates bonds” ??? The steepening yield curve tells me investors LOVED (high yield (??))bonds.

• Willy2 says:

Correction: The flattening (!!!) yield curve tells me investors LOVED – at least in the last months – (high yield (???)) bonds.

3. Alex says:

Any thoughts on the MREITs? They had a lousy 2013, not sure what would send them up, but the consensus must hate them rather passionately.

4. Mr.-Vix-It says:

I agree completely. I am heavily long bonds and the Yen. These are probably the two most hated trades in the markets right now which means I will likely win on these two trades. Every time the Fed has ended a program, bonds have rallied which is exactly what is happening again. 10 year is going back under 2% and USD/JPY is headed to under 100. You heard it here first…

5. Willy2 says:

Did one Mr. Ritholtz never look at (the ETFs) JNK, HYG & LQD ? And at the TLT vs. JNK ratio ?

What do you mean “Concensus hates bonds” ???