Exactly one year ago today, I thought it might be fun to speak at a CFA conference in Winnipeg. In January. In the least hospitable major city in North America that is not in Alaska.

Read this:

27 Below 0°F; 45 Below 0°F Wind Chill

See also:
A bull-and-bear naturalist (Winnipeg Free Press)

An investor’s worst enemy? Their brain (The Globe and Mail)

Category: Travel

11 Responses to “Winnipeg: 45 Below 0°F”

1. danm says:

That’s why we nickname it Winterpeg.

2. Paul Meloan says:

First, forget wind chill (designed by people who want to feel sorry for themselves). Second, I notice you didn’t go back this year, that means you learned something (WIN).

3. CD4P says:

I’m guessing there was no souvenir shopping while there? Not even an “I survived a Winnipeg winter day!” t-shirt to wear around the office back home?

4. Bob A says:

If it was in Russia they’d call it Siberia

5. MarcG says:

Barry said: “Exactly one year ago today, I thought it might be fun to speak at a CFA conference in Winnipeg.”

You’re doing fine at your current job Barry. I already have a good travel agent.

6. rd says:

It was -16F at my house in Central New York yesterday morning. I have no idea what the wind chill was. Generally people who live in cold places don’t bother with wind chill numbers – cold and windy versus cold and not windy is all you need to know. It is the media that constantly reports wind chill as they always like to make things sound more extreme.

7. just-sayin says:

For those of you who live in the second of two countries on Earth that do not use the metric system (Liberia being the other). The two temperature scales converge at -40.
    That is, -40 Celsius equals -40 Fahrenheit.
    Anyone who has experienced these temps knows they are cold….with or without wind chill.

8. intlacct says:

That was a classic.

9. Yofish says:

Ain’t it grand? 44 in Homer, AK today. That northern jet stream anomaly bringing the pineapple express. In my 45 years, the warmest winter (so far) by far. I love it when people use for the nonce local weather to extrapolate, usually, for global warming, on one side or the other. I’m not suggesting that anything was implied by BR.

10. Eric says:

Barry,

Great post, and some great comments. Clearly stuck a chord with lots of folks. I am an idiot and could not figure out how to post a comment (and not sure if you want people post 3rd party articles in any event)

That said, don’t know if you happened to read this Mark Helprin (the (great … imho) novelist and sometimes columnist… Winters Tale, Solder of Great War, Sunlight and Shadows, etc … not the political writer) column in the WSJ a few years ago, but it really resonated at the time, and have reread a number of times.

Captures the agony and the ecstasy of winter and the cold (and, like your post, references the perils of military campaigns into Russia in the winter …)

Think you will appreciate if did not already read.

“Long-time reader, love the show”

Best,

Eric Rahe

The Fire We Tend Against Winter
    The season is at once a measure and cause of our vitality, both an enemy and something of extraordinary beauty.

On its way to Moscow in June of 1812, a Napoleonic army of 422,000 crossed the River Nieman near the Russian-Polish frontier. By the time it recrossed in December, it was only 10,000 strong. In conjunction with battle deaths, illness and desertion, winter famously played its part as temperatures of -30 degrees Celsius froze men and animals into ghastly plinths as hard as stone. In the Caucasus more than a hundred years later, 10,000 soldiers of the Turkish Ninth Corps froze to death in a matter of hours. And many Germans, Italians and Romanians would suffer the same fate on the Russian front during World War II.

Since the beginning of time a potent and merciless ally of starvation and disease, winter has carried away hundreds of millions. As those who in winter have lived in a city under siege or through a military campaign commonly attest, the cold is the worst torture. I came to understand a small part of this when 40 years ago in the mountains of northern Israel I would wait through winter nights for infiltrators, and by 4 a.m., semi-hallucinatory, my heart beating so slowly it seemed about to stop, I thought that being shot might actually be an improvement in my condition.

It was not entirely a new experience. In the mid-’50s, I went to school on a warm Hudson Valley day late in fall, wearing light cotton clothes, Oxfords and a blazer. By the time the school bus dropped me half a mile from my house, in a high wind with a foot of snow on the ground, the temperature had fallen close to zero. My shoes and socks were pulled off in the drifts, and my hands were too frozen to put them back on. I crawled the last hundred feet to our front door. Unable to get up, I pounded at it weakly with my head and elbows. When that failed, I lay there, almost asleep, thinking that I was going to die. And I would have had not my dog refused to stop barking, which led to my discovery. As I was dragged into the house, I could neither move nor speak.