Tanned and rested: I’m back from vacation and raring to go:

• Investors have been pouring money into European stock funds, pulling back on U.S. shares (WSJ) see also Worst Value Opportunity Set in 25 Years (Greenbackd)
• Housing Weakness: Temporary or Enduring? (Calculated Risk)
• The Perfectly Dangerous Thing Your Clients Want (Think Advisor) see also The Two Most Important Questions For Investors (Ciovacco Capital)
• Half of U.S. Farmland Being Eyed by Private Equity (Climateer Investing)

Continues here

Category: Financial Press

10 Responses to “10 Monday AM Reads”

1. swag says:

Significant US food inflation is probably just around the corner, as California drought rages on

2. Concerned Neighbour says:

I’d echo the “Worst Value Opportunity Set in 25 Years” article.

My tried and trusted value screens are turning up hardly any opportunities today, and those companies that they do turn up have essentially no or negative top line growth. Meanwhile so-called “blue chips” with hardly any tangible book value are trading with 20-something P/E ratios in a mediocre growth environment.

Then we have high growth names displaying bubble behavior. NFLX business model at risk from carriers? Bullish!!!!! FB pays $19B for a company in a highly competitive industry that promises 450M tenuous users, some of whom they make ~$0.99 from per year? Bullish!!!!!

Of course, I know I would do better to throw out my copy of that old relic “The Intelligent Investor” and join the seemingly in perpetuity Fed put. One can only laugh at the monstrosity they have created, and the fact they can say with a straight face they aren’t seeing any bubbles.

3. RW says:

Robert Samuelson’s Arithmetic Challenged Economics

Yes, it’s Monday and Robert Samuelson is badly confused about economics again.

Robert Samuelson is upset because the Obama administration has been arguing that it is possible to raise the minimum wage without any job loss. ….[but] the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) issued a study that put its best guess of the job loss from the administration’s proposal at 500,000. …[however] For the most part, the reduction in employment of 500,000 will not correspond to workers being laid off. More likely it means that workers will not be replaced when they leave and that firms will be slower to hire …

There are other fun items in Robert Samuelson’s piece. …

NB: I used to believe pundits like Samuelson, George Will, et al were purposely bamboozling their readers but now I think they’re mostly ignorant, biased and VSP wannabes; same effect of course but it makes it easier to exercise Hanlon’s Razor and that’s easier on my liver.

• willid3 says:

and he seems to think that low pay, lead to more jobs. not sure how that works out since low pay means customers buy less. which seems to me is a prescription for fewer jobs, since there are fewer customers that can buy. but that just me . maybe there is magic in low pay that only he knows about. the same seems true for high health care costs that he seems to support. seems to have the same issues with fewer customers. and fewer jobs. but then maybe its confirmation bias

4. hue says:

The Woes of Wall Street: Why Young Bankers Are So Miserable (The Atlantic)

WhatsApp And The Jobless Economy (npr: On Point) our intrepid economist Noahpinion is a guest

‘El Chapo’ Guzmán, Mexico’s Most Powerful Drug Lord (Newsweek)

5. Robert M says:

over the weekend there was an article on the economy slowig down. The evidence indiciates it is not slowing but diverted.http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-24/potholes-that-ate-indianapolis-devour-municipal-budgets-in-u-s-.html

6. Robert M says:

On Bloomberg comments there is a suggestion on how to play Europe. Thank you Stock Soup

7. VennData says:

From the early release of the Sage’s annual letter to shareholders, ​I do not think WB owns ANY Bitcoins

Now I may be wrong about this. He may be secretly owning them. In cahoots with other Democrats who secretly hate America and want to ruin it, as they have about fifty times over if you believe GOP talking points for the last six years,

Congrats to all time highs on certain US stock market indices. The GOP was wrong, again.

8. rj chicago says:

Reminds me of the famous Joe Pesci line in Good Fellas – “You think I’m funny – funny like how? Funny like a clown?”

I wonder who the clowns in this circus really are!!!