My afternoon train reading:

• What’s good for American corporations isn’t necessarily good for Americans (Quartz) see also Musk’s $5 Billion Tesla Gigafactory May Start Bidding War (Bloomberg)
• Options investors are bracing for more wild swings in the coming weeks. (WSJ)
• Here Are The Top 10 Emerging Technologies For 2014 (Business Insider) see also How to Survive the Next Wave of Technology Extinction (NY Times)
• Why Is Apple Being So Nostalgic? (Currency)
• Where the Good and Bad Jobs Will Be, 10 Years From Now (The Atlantic Cities) see also Colorado First State to Clamp Down on Fracking Methane Pollution (Bloomberg)
• Potholes That Ate Indianapolis Devour U.S. City Budgets (Bloomberg)
• More Evidence That You Can’t Lure Entrepreneurs With Tax Cuts (Off the Charts)
• Constant Task Switching (Zen Habits)
• GWB Scandal: Release of previously redacted messages reveals new information (NorthJersey.com)
• Trolls just want to have fun (Science Direct)

What are you reading?

College Inequality: Selective Schools Don’t Have Any Poor Students

Source: Slate

Category: Financial Press

13 Responses to “10 Thursday PM Reads”

1. Concerned Neighbour says:

“Fed Chair Says Something, or Anything Really: Stocks Rise”

Full news at 11.

Today is more evidence to support my now long-held hunch that a hypothetical speculator whose strategy consisted entirely of buying the day before Fed decisions and/or testimony, and then selling that position at the end of said day would have done incredibly well over the last five years of “temporary” stock market stimulus. After all, it’s a confidence game, nothing more. They need to perpetuate the appearance they know what they’re doing. A real market shouldn’t be so blatantly predictable, but this one sure is. I’d be embarrassed if I were them.

2. willid3 says:

say it aint say

companies making it so they can make bigger bonuses by using non standard accounting?

bonuses are earned.
    free market!

3. rd says:

Re: Who attends competitive universities

My wife teaches in an urban school district while we live in a suburban very good school district.

There would be rioting (if you can imagine lawyers and executives rioting) in our school district if it were operated like the urban district my wife teaches in with the resources she has available to her. Students who come out of an urban district and compete for the competitive universities deserve huge kudos for perseverance and the ability to block out massive distractions and disincentives that are unimaginable in the wealthier districts. A normal day in her classroom would be grounds for major PTA crisis meetings in our home district.

One of the biggest single improvements that could be made in US primary and secondary education would be to simply consolidate school boards up to the county level and equalize resources across all of the schools in the county. There is not a prayer of that happening as county and state officials would be lynched by the residents of the wealthier districts.

School districts used to be segregated largely by race and ethnic origin but that has totally changed. They are now segregated by socio-economic status. Minorities move to the better suburban districts once they can afford to and leave the poorer white and minority families behind.

4. ottnott says:

the 2013 deficit is $139 billion lower than Simpson-Bowles promised to deliver.

5. RW says:

Your New Bond Dealer May Be an ETF (ht AR)

…Greenwich’s 110 surveyed institutions say they’re using or switching to ETFs because of the ease of use of ETFs, their high liquidity, and the ability to get diversified exposures in a single trade (among other reasons). …

Do investors understand that liquidity isn’t free?

…All they need to realize is this: ETFs penalize lemmings.

6. RW says:

The Chart the Debt Alarmists Don’t Want You to See

How good is Thomas Piketty’s forthcoming book Capital in the Twenty-First Century? So good that it makes tons of incidental points that are amazing and probably worthy of a whole book of their own but that have almost nothing to do with Piketty’s main point or core thesis. For example, in this chart …he shows that on a net basis the United States of America does not have any public debt and perhaps never did.

NB: On order.

7. VennData says:

BILL O’REILLY to Valerie Jarrett, appearing on his show for the first time:”[Y]ou’re going to have to get people like Jay Z, like Kanye West, all of these gangsta rappers, to knock it off. … Listen to me. Listen to me. You got to get where they live, all right? They had idolized these guys with the hats on backwards … and the terrible rock — rap lyrics and the drugs and all of that. You got to get these guys. And I think President Obama can do it.”

Nixon could have nipped it in the bud by carpet bombing the Bronx at the organic birth of hip-hop in the 70′s

Reagan… Well another cowardly retreat like he did in Lebanon would have emboldened rappers, the way Reagan emboldened terrorists, so no.

Bush I “Read My Lips” SOUNDS like a hip-hop title. And it was a lie, so O’Reilly would hate that.

Bush II danced around on an aircraft carrier like an arrogant rapper, why would O’Reilly think George “Mission Accomplished” (another rap-sounding meme) would do anything except give rich rappers more tax cuts?

So why do the right singers keep coming up with nonsense like this? Especially when they pushed Citizens United to allow anyone to say any​​thing they want?

Why do Americans let the Right Wingers get away with saying this nonsense?

• ch says:

VD – read the article Barry linked about how what’s good for American corporations are not necessarily good for Americans.

American corporations donate big money to Washington. Both parties. And American corporations make most of their money overseas.

There is no right wing/left wing. There is kabuki theater on different “red channels” & “blue channels” owned by the same big corporations. They get speakers to rile “blue teamers” like you up by putting some offensive “red teamers” on the screen, knowing that you fall for it every time.

They trust that you will fall for it, b/c that allows them to sell ad time on the program for millions of dollars to other big corporations who lobby against your interests. They thank you for watching and for getting so riled up that you will keep tuning in, boosting their Nielsen ratings & therefore their revenue.

Want to make a difference? Turn off the TV, and go plant a garden.

8. rd says:

I am confused. Zero Hedge kept telling me that it would be the Fed and Treasury that would go banrupt while digital, on-line private sector currencies would save us:

9. VennData says:

Bitcoin Kingpin Admits Everyone’s Money Is Gone

Everybody’s high on consolation
    Everybody’s trying to tell me what is right for me, yeah
    My daddy tried to bore me with a sermon
    But it’s plain to see that they can’t comfort me

Sorry, Charlie, for the imposition
    I think I got (it got it), I got the strength to carry on, yeah
    I need a drink and a quick decision
    Now it’s up to me, ooh, what will be

She’s gone, she’s gone
    Oh I, oh I
    I better learn how to face it
    She’s gone, she’s gone
    Oh I, oh I
    I’d pay the devil to replace her
    She’s gone, and she’s gone
    Oh why, what went wrong?