Source: Visually

Category: Digital Media, Science

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

8 Responses to “Hydrologic Cycle”

  1. blakegoud says:

    There is a MOOC on water issues at Colorado State University that I am taking that is really interesting. http://www.online.colostate.edu/free-online-courses/water-civilization-and-nature/

  2. rd says:

    They forgot human groundwater extraction in the diagram. That is a major player in locations like the Oglalla Aquifer and Florida. It is also a major cause of sinkhole formation in some parts of the country like Florida.

  3. johnnywalker says:

    Great diagram. Some numbers to add perspective: of the total water on earth, approximately 97.5% is salt water. Of the remaining 2.5% that is fresh water, 1.7% is frozen in the form of polar ice and glaciers, and only approximately 0.8% is easily accessible. The last two numbers are of most concern since they are subject to global climate change.

  4. I’ve long wondered what the impact is of population and water. 2 billion people in 1927 compared to 7 Billion in 2012 (USCB estimates) so 5b more people x the amount of water in a single human – about 7 gallons on average lets say, is a big change. Add to that the amount of water stored in bottled water, sodas, and just every day reservoirs has to have some impact on temperature imbalance because of a significant disruption of the water cycle.

    With the addition of 5 billion more heat generators at 98.6 degrees each, sucking up all of the fresh water they can, there has to be some impact.

  5. Petey Wheatstraw says:

    Somebody should draw a caved-in nuclear reactor in that nice little meadow between the lake, the river, and the ocean. Y’know — just for shits and grins.

  6. johnnywalker says:

    Vespo09-I agree, but wish desalination weren’t so energy intensive. Perhaps it will be coupled with a renewable energy source in the future.

    My real point was how precious the 0.8% (fresh and available) is, and how we should conserve this resource. There are relatively inexpensive ways to capture and hold rain water, and modern agricultural methods can be less water intensive. Here in So Cal, however, our historic strategy has been to channel rainfall into the ocean ASAP. What a waste!

    • rd says:

      There is starting to be much more of an emphasis in civil site design on using porous surfaces to encourage stormwater to percolate into the ground. The two key drivers behind this to date has been to reduce the generation of “first flush” pollutants that get washed off the surface in the first parts of a rainstorm and to reduce over-loading of of combined sewer systems that cause sewage to be discharged because the plants can’t handle the total flows.