Hmmm, nothing in the United States? Go figure . . .

Source: World Airport Awards, Award Categories, Top 100

The Best Airports in the World 2014

1 Singapore Changi Airport
2 Incheon International Airport
3 Munich Airport
4 Hong Kong International Airport
5 Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
6 Tokyo International Airport Haneda
7 Beijing Capital International Airport
8 Zurich Airport
9 Vancouver International Airport
10 London Heathrow Airport

Continues here

Category: Digital Media, Travel

14 Responses to “The Best Airports in the World 2014”

1. Bob is still unemployed   says:

Speaking of air travel… ;)

Let’s Reminisce over Airplanes that had Piano Bars, Cocktail Lounges, Pubs and Restaurants (messynessychic.com)

Airlines today just aren’t up for a good party anymore. Look at those fancy folks hanging out in comfy swivel chairs, ordering Martinis and asking attractive strangers, “So, do you come here often?“ Don’t they look like they’re about to have the best flight of their lives?

The 1970s was without doubt, a golden age of air travel. It was the era that saw the upper decks of Boeing 747s turn into full-scale cocktail lounges and restaurants for first class flyers. On the lower deck, there were also coach or economy lounges. Continental Airlines had a pub while American Airlines had an infamous piano bar.

Qantas Airline’s 747B boasted a luxurious “Captain Cook First Class Lounge” (pictured above). Here’s a closer peak into life on the upper deck…

2. rd says:

The US went for quantity over qulaity. Most countries have only 1 or 2 major international airports – the US has more than that just from Boston to Washington, DC.

• Bob is still unemployed   says:

I’ve been to Schiphol airport in The Netherlands more than a few times. It is easy to see why it has earned a spot in the Top Ten. For me, one of the best features was the train station within the airport.

I got off the plane, walked through customs, and then went down a stairway to the trains. Then on to Rotterdam. Convenient and seamlessly.

There was no consortium of taxis or limos saying that such convenience is not allowable.

I was left with the opinion that the airport was designed for the convenience of the traveler, not the checking accounts of the taxi and limo drivers.

3. ilsm says:

What Ike said in 1952. ‘A single destroyer was 8000 homes……..’

Irony, Singapore and the brown water around it is to be the patrol area for 3 US navy Littoral Combat Ships, $1.5B of ships (about the unit price of one cancelled Zumwalt) that do not have paperwork describing how they work, so cannot be “valued” into the Navy’s “property book” if it has one.

$1.5B might modestly renovate a terminal at JFK.

4. VennData says:

Heathrow?! LOL.

5. Willy2 says:

- I’ve been to a number of these airports and I must admit they’re better than US airports. No doubt about it.

6. ottnott says:

Why spend money to make an airport great or even pleasant?

Public infrastructure spending is wasted on such trivialities when there are billionaire ball-team owners having to use their very own investors’ money for 10, 20, even 30% of the cost of a new stadium packed with corporate luxury boxes.

You commies probably think it is more important to replace 100-year old water mains than to replace 10-year old stadiums. Water never changes, so why should the pipes?

I won’t stand by while you badmouth the US. No matter what Skytrax says, I know that our airport network, like our healthcare system, is the best and most efficient in the world. Travelers love our airports, especially the security checkpoints. I’ve seen people stand in line for 90 minutes just for the chance to go through a checkpoint for a 60-minute flight. We think Apple is a big deal, because it can get people to stand in line for the first day of a new product, but our airports attract that same fanatic devotion all day long, every day, in dozens of U.S. cities. We have NOTHING to learn from other countries or from history.

/snark <——————- See that. If you take this post literally, I'm not responsible.

• Init4good says:

ottnott: LOL hysterical, thanks.

Airports are public places, ergo, a waste of money….

7. A says:

I admit that most of the US airports are not in the fun category, although the Twin Cities airport is
    less of a headache than many and Vegas at least provides a fun way to lose money.

No surprise that Vancouver made the list. Not sure about Heathrow, as the stay in the ‘holding bin’ in departures is not a relaxing experience. And Frankfurt (not on the list) can be an obstacle course for international travellers. The key with any airport is having access to the airline lounges to get away from the herds.

Flying would be fun if you didn’t have to go to the airport.

8. b_thunder says:

As long as the cost of building new or updating existing infrastructure in the USA is outrageously overpriced compared to other countries (even more so than healthcare) I’d rather go through crappy airports and pay low taxes than let corrupt government bureaucrats using my tax dollars to enrich corrupt contractors.

IMHO, there are MORE pressing problems with air travel that need fixing: reforming or getting rid of TSA, modernizing air traffic control system, purchasing equipment that allows airports to remain open when there’s more than .5″ of snow on the ground.
    Besides, “beautifying” our airports will do nothing for public perception of flying as as long as the seats are getting narrower, the space between the seats forces people to sit with the chin between their knees, and when overhead storage in non-existent.

• Init4good says:

b_thunder: Some of us “identify” with some public places – I think it “says something” about the country to the rest of the world, namely, if it ain’t private it’s not worth anything. Ergo we’ll either all have private planes and airports, private food, private water, private roads, private bridges, etc. or we won’t fly anywhere, won’t eat, won’t drink, and won’t cross any rivers. Sounds nauseating to me.

9. supercorm says:

I’ve been to all of them beside Munich and Amsterdam (which I’m going this fall).

Incheon is huge, reall huge, so the quantity over quality argument in the US doesn’t work. In Singapour, you have city tour if your stop over allows it, and there is also a pool, if you prefer to take a nap and a swip with a nice cocktail waiting for your next flight. Just awesome.

I’m only surprise to see Tokyo there. Nice, huge, but so far away from the city. After a 12 hour flight, last thing I want is a 1 hour train ride downtown. But so clean though, nice ride, but still.

But the main argument is that all those airports were very efficient, well organized and relatively new as well.

10. cynically_speaking says:

I’ve been through about half of these – the one that I’ve been most impressed with in the last couple of years is the (also relatively new) airport in Dusseldorf. I’d certainly put it above Heathrow (though I didn’t have the chance to stop in a club at DUS).

11. icantdance says:

is this anti-tsa bias? what is the best US airport?

I have only been to two of the above, but I think SFO was well in their ranks.
    -very interesting art exhibits design elements throughout
    -excellent terminal design